Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Hyundai Genesis video Tribute to 45th Anniversary of Mustang, tribute or challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Richbrad08
3rd Gear Member

lol that a weird clip
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Richbrad08
3rd Gear Member

the only thing i want to do is test drive the car not buy it, i still think for a 4 banger turbo is kinda slow on the 1/4, the v6 i hear is still not that great.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

As cool of a car as it is, it is still a hyundai lol. I just saw it in MT the other day and it looks like a cool car actually... but I would still take a new gt over it any day.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Dear Hyundai,

An open rear end in a rear wheel drive car, is gay! You fail.

Love,

Sidewayz
Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

ha yeah I didn't even catch that. I thought when it was burning out it looked a little odd. That really downgrades my opinion of the car. How can you make a rwd sports car w/ an open diff.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:26 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

They shoulda had the V8 thats in their sedan into the coupe version, then MAYBE they could be taken serious.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Hyundai's have come a long way in the past 10 years. They are now every bit as reliable, solid, and well-built as anything else you can buy. And they exceed some. Back when Honda originally came to the US, they were flaming pieces of crap as well. People seem to have forgotten about that now that they have become known for building a solid product. The same will happen with Hyundai within the next 5-7 years as they put out increasingly more interesting cars like this Genesis.

I've now read 5-6 reviews on this thing from major publications and websites, and I have yet to see anything but a VERY good write-up on the car. It may be easy to rip apart on a board like this being totally slanted towards American metal, but the fact of the matter is, its a tight product and performs admirably. Considering the Genesis, 370Z and Camaro V6 all put out same/more horsepower than a stock Mustang GT... if anything I'm looking at Ford, not Hyundai when I say to myself, "WTF?"

I'll be buying a new daily driver by the end of the year. I think I'm about sold on a Lancer Evolution GSR, but I'm going to go take this Hyundai for a spin I think. There are a few others I want to drive as well. None of them made in the US unfortunately, because our manufacturers have been living under a rock for a long time. I like the Challengers, but I'm just not feeling a HEMI R/T as a DD I don't think...

The Track model has a Torsen limited slip, 19s and Brembos BTW.

Last edited by Mudflap; 05-15-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:51 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I sat in it at the Dallas Car Show and I must say it is a car I could see myself drive.

But they should realize their GT equivalent is no way as fast as the mustang GT. It got 6 more horse, but it lacks severely in the torque department.

I do believe we'll see the 4 banger turbo's kicking some serious butt for not a whole lot of money.

The track pac gives the car a LSD. And a bunch of other options including a dumb sunroof...

Last edited by TheDutchTexan; 05-15-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

The only complaint I'v heard is that its not perfectly refined and shifts a little tough, but other than that I have not heard any complaints. And I too read that the track pac comes with LSD, so they helps my opinion of the car. Its not bad looking either.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bpark8824
The only complaint I'v heard is that its not perfectly refined and shifts a little tough, but other than that I have not heard any complaints. And I too read that the track pac comes with LSD, so they helps my opinion of the car. Its not bad looking either.
The review I read in the latest Car & Driver was really positive, but they did mention the shifts, as well as some jitter on uneven pavement. As the author stated however, "Hyundai has a habit of catching up, and FAST". I suspect by the next model year, we'll see these issues resolved, and the overall car improved even more so. Edmunds.com referred to it as a "world class automobile".

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis video Tribute to 45th Anniversary of Mustang, tribute or challenge?