Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New mileage requirments, our cars are finished!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
atvcrazy
1st Gear Member

Default New mileage requirments, our cars are finished!

If you didn't already know, the president announced new mileage standards today. Passenger cars must get 39 mpg by 2016 with the transformation begining in 2012. Did our cars just become classics? Why will we be made to buy cars we don't want? I'm not being paranoid. The presidents own words were cars will have to get much smaller. I love my Navigator and my Mustang. Is anyone else even concerned?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

yes stock up on gas cars while you can before they go extinct!! The government will probably secretly be taking low mpg cars and burning them.

but really he probably doesnt know **** about cars i dont know why he should be making that decision. you dont necessarily need a smaller car it just needs to be overal more efficient. and yes weight and size comes into that but engine efficiency does too. "cars will have to get smaller" is a dumb comment.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Dont even get me started... Ive heard so many dumb comments whenever i listen to anything about this, it just pisses me off usually. Its sad that the government is taking over so much control in the auto industry, when they dont have a clue as to what they are doing.... I say if it is what the people want then fine, make more smaller hybrid cars, but it shouldnt be forced upon everyone to have to drive them. Have to see how it plays out in the next few years...
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 PM
atvcrazy
1st Gear Member

Yep, scary stuff.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

V6 ecoboost in the near future with V8 power sounds good to me. The V8 rumble might be gone but maybe they can get close with V6s.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

No V8 is no Mustang in my garage anymore.

But, Obama is banking on staying in office for 2 terms I see. There is an election before 2016, and I am pretty positive a republican will eliminate / reduce that CAFE number to please the auto manufacturers.

Besides, even if not. Every automaker will have a hyper miler car by then that still makes it possible to get us the V8's we want. And over the years the V8's have become more and more fuel efficient. Hell, a bog standard C6 corvette does 30mpg on the highway... crazy...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

did you guys know obama loves his ford escape hybrid over the chrysler 300 that he traded in? go ford! http://www.leftlanenews.com/presiden...pe-hybrid.html

and to those that want more info about the mpg standards set for the near future
http://www.leftlanenews.com/obama-pr...-standard.html
Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by atvcrazy
If you didn't already know, the president announced new mileage standards today. Passenger cars must get 39 mpg by 2016 with the transformation begining in 2012. Did our cars just become classics? Why will we be made to buy cars we don't want? I'm not being paranoid. The presidents own words were cars will have to get much smaller. I love my Navigator and my Mustang. Is anyone else even concerned?
...its the start of communism in our country...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

From my understanding each car doesn't have to get 39 mpg. "The policy for autos will link together the corporate average fuel economy, or CAFE, standard and the Environmental Protection Agency's greenhouse-gas standard." It is the average of all of a automakers vehicles put together. So, our v8's should be ok b/c we get descent mileage now. I just don't know whats going to happen to trucks.

I don't think this means an end to muscle cars. All an automaker has to do is have a few models that get crazy mileage to offset lower mpg vehicles. And i don't think their tied to the number of vehicles sold. So, they can have just have to keep high mpg vehicles available even if they don't sell.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Pale Horse
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big50
From my understanding each car doesn't have to get 39 mpg. "The policy for autos will link together the corporate average fuel economy, or CAFE, standard and the Environmental Protection Agency's greenhouse-gas standard." It is the average of all of a automakers vehicles put together. So, our v8's should be ok b/c we get descent mileage now. I just don't know whats going to happen to trucks.

I don't think this means an end to muscle cars. All an automaker has to do is have a few models that get crazy mileage to offset lower mpg vehicles. And i don't think their tied to the number of vehicles sold. So, they can have just have to keep high mpg vehicles available even if they don't sell.
From what I understand, you pretty much hit the nail on the head...It is an average fuel economy of all cars. Also on the truck comment the regulation is on passenger cars, if I am not mistaken trucks are classified differently. Also, I have to believe that the technology is already there to make V8's get substantially better fuel mileage than they already do, however, it is not beneficial to the oil companies for this to happen....

Quick Reply: New mileage requirments, our cars are finished!