Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 Mustang GT 500hp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

with 6 out of the top 10 NHRA funny cars being Mustangs, i would say it is a very established drag racer. but i do watch more drag racing than any road racing.
but i have seen some mustangs hold their own in some road racing that i have seen, so they can be corner carvers if they're built as such.

as for the 2014 engine i would rather see an aluminator upgrade option on the 5.0 engine with forged internals and boost friendly compression, rather than a higher hp / high compression bigger block that has weak internals. but thats just me.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Funny Cars?? Come on! Those have about as much to do with Mustangs as a NASCAR Camry has to do with a real Camry; absolutely nothing other than a vaguely similar body shell and some decals. They call them "Funny Cars" for a reason. They're basically short wheelbase Top Fuel dragsters with a different body.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

funny cars is drag racing.
it was merely an example of the abundance of mustangs in drag racing.
it wasn't meant to be a comparison between that and our daily driven mustangs, anyone with common sense can see that.
it shows how much ford puts into the importance of drag racing and mustangs.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

You can tell that ford is trying to show the mustang can do more than go in a straight line because of all the 2010 commercials with the mustang drifting all over the place
Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

One of the top Drift Cars in the world right now is a 2010 Mustang GT.....
you have to have some pretty high excellent suspension to handle that.

Most peoples say that the "live axle" is better than the IRS in drag because it can handle higher HP #s...

Last edited by distantsoldier; 02-19-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
squatty

Wow that is great! My son drives in 3 years, so I can give him my '05, buy a '14 then take him down to Atco and whip the s**t out of him! FUN, FUN, FUN! That is the only way I'll be able to beat him by then...he's hitting those weights pretty hard!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 AM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Premi
It's not a night and day difference under most circumstances. If you regularly travel on rough roads, the difference can be significant. But for most people, the desire for IRS is mainly just so they can "feel good" about it and say they have a "modern" suspension setup. As the S197 has been proving since inception, in a race on a track, having an IRS has virtually zero advantage. It's negligible at best. And the same can be said of SRA vs. IRS at the dragstrip. Take the ZR1, for example. Isn't it in the high 10s/low 11s on street tires and stock suspension (IRS) setup? Or the heavy CTS-V that runs 12s all day long. So a properly engineered IRS can run every bit as good as a SRA at the dragstrip.
well the ZR1 and CTS-V both have 638 and 555 hp respectively and the electronics in those cars are amazing...the reason and only reason they can run those times on the IRS is that they are setup to launch off rev limiter and not spin because of the computers in those cars...the just go...also being that they run those times on street tires if they spin they arent hurting the half shafts of the IRS at all...spinning = no stress...its when they put slicks on those cars and consistantly make "hard launch" passes without the electronics on...lets see how long that IRS holds up in those conditions when they actually stick...the IRS is an awesome technology for the twisties...but as far as the dragstrip goes it does more harm than good...also I think I read somewhere recently,cant remember where, that the Shelby GT-500 outran the Terminators times on the skid pad and another road course even though it has a solid axle and weighs a lot more...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

The ZR1's also have 335 width rears which can't hurt...Erik
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
The ZR1's also have 335 width rears which can't hurt...Erik
This is very true as well
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

Just in case you guys forgot or didnt know, the Ford Mustang GT took first place in the Grand Am beating porsche and BMW and that was with the LIVE AXLE.

http://www.grand-am.com/teams/team.c...ies=k&tid=1797

The clip above is from the first race of this year 2010. BMW took this race 1 and 2 though. Those new V8 bmws are no joke and this year the camaro is running as well as the new challenger, just like the old tran am series.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang GT 500hp?