Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

funny thing is, after the first few thuds the rest were actually him dropping a load in his pants.

ok back on topic: holy hell that is some freaky **** to watch, hearing the car starting to groan at 120 and then bam!
kid should do his research before he tries to do stuff like this
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 AM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity there is no limiter on 06's right? I have had mine above 120 and never hit any kind of limiter.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Just out of curiosity there is no limiter on 06's right? I have had mine above 120 and never hit any kind of limiter.
Yes, there is, it's just set higher (145 mph on the GT if I recall correctly)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
But honestly, who here has never pushed their car a bit more than they should once or twice?
*sigh/ sheepishly raising hand*

Taking a brand new rebuild on a hot 351w with tight tolerances north of 7k will absolutely score the hell out of your cylinder walls.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Also keep in mind that if you swap higher numeric gears into your car, then the driveshaft will be spinning faster than before. So you will have effectively lowered the max safe speed rating for the driveshaft because of the new gearing. All the more reason to consider installing a new driveshaft when you change gears (at least for those of us who will be trapping their cars at a high rate of speed).
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 AM
shark tales
1st Gear Member

SO are we saying a v6 almost 300hp car cant go beyond 130mph bc of the driveshaft is not built to handle that speed???? wtf that is terrible
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
shelooga

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
Also keep in mind that if you swap higher numeric gears into your car, then the driveshaft will be spinning faster than before. So you will have effectively lowered the max safe speed rating for the driveshaft because of the new gearing. All the more reason to consider installing a new driveshaft when you change gears (at least for those of us who will be trapping their cars at a high rate of speed).
so what youre saying is that me going 120 in my 07 v6 with 4.1 gears was a bad idea? i thought so, but i only did it once because its so hard to ...cough... safely and quickly go from 100-120 with the gears. ill make this video reason number two not to again
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shark tales
SO are we saying a v6 almost 300hp car cant go beyond 130mph bc of the driveshaft is not built to handle that speed???? wtf that is terrible
This is what I was thinking, and am amazed that this is the case (And at the # of folks that think that's no big deal - RTFM and such..) V6 or no, it's supposed to be a 'sports' car, taking it to 113 or whatever barely gets it out of 4th?? (Christ - I see Vans go by faster than this on the Alpheratta Autobahn around here!!) This was a corner best left uncut by Ford imho (Seriously just cut a chunk off the aluminum block the engine is plowed from and make a GD decent DS...) Guess that also explains people losing DS's on their V6's on Dynos - I mean seriously??

I'm not looking to hop in my car and bounce off my limiter day in/out, but don't like hitting it on the back stretch after turn 3.... Because my car might grenade at a track event.. Yeesh..

No, Ford doesn't owe this guy anything as he broke the warranty rules and stipulations. However Ford could (should) be building a better 'sports' car, no matter... Alot of Euro/Asian car owners have another bone to taunt with now.. Unfortunately a good one.

Can't really do Gears upgrade (good call 28HopUp)and not have a solid DS in there, that's like getting tooth fillings made of dissoluble plaster..

Well AM, hope you have stock on your one piece DS's, I see a flurry of activity coming your way soon..
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Somehow I feel SHAFTED! Literally. Where can one find the best price on an aluminum Shaftmasters? I just looked on their official we site and it's $474.99. I will never buy another V6 Mustang. My stupidity.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-21-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Yes, there is, it's just set higher (145 mph on the GT if I recall correctly)
Strange I never hit it. I don't like going above 130 anyway because the car does wobble a bit. As far as the kid in the video the DS should have held up imo. The car has 300 hp, limiter or not v6's arent cheap these days either. Ford can afford to put a decent DS in it.

Quick Reply: Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself