Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Rustoleum Paint Job!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
You can get a high end looking paint job from rustoleum but the trade off is that it will take a lot of work on your part.

Ive read over the same method of painting in the past and from what I understand is that it can be wet sanded unlike aerosol paints (some dont wet sand well) which means you roll it on and spending a ton of time making it look good. If your car is in rough shape and you are already considering painting it then it might be worth trying. That is, unless you value your free time.
Haha time is about the only thing I have right now. I'm on summer break lol. Btw I'm starting with the hood like the other guy. I'm taking nice and slow and getting all the little rock chips out. If it doesn't work out, I'll just buy an aftermarket hood. I've sanded it for maybe an hour and a half solid now and will start the primer. Again, if it doesn't work out, I'm out a good, that's it.

****, what I should have done was just pick up a random hood from the junkyard to do it on... Oh well, it would have wasted paint if it did work

On another note, check out my redoing my interior thread later tonight. I did a DIY rear seat delete that actually turned out REALLY good. I'll get those pics up later tonight.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
You can get a high end looking paint job from rustoleum but the trade off is that it will take a lot of work on your part.

Ive read over the same method of painting in the past and from what I understand is that it can be wet sanded unlike aerosol paints (some dont wet sand well) which means you roll it on and spending a ton of time making it look good. If your car is in rough shape and you are already considering painting it then it might be worth trying. That is, unless you value your free time.
He didn't say he did it. He said that he read about it.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I resprayed at corner of my rear bumper after a fender bender (yes I know janky) anyway, it came out nice and most people never even notice. But doing your entire car? That is risky. I don't have a "top of the line" Mustang by any means, but I would never take a paint roller to the damn thing.

Anyway, since you've already started, more power to you. I hope it turns out nice.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

If anything its something to do. DIY stuff is always fun, especially when it works out well and you can show it off. Im considering redoing my headliner with suede to match me Roush leather/suede seats. I put the seats on myself which wasnt bad and ive done a good bit of sound deadening in the car too. Ill look for that thread in a minute here and see whats up.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Well, as said above, vinyl wrap. I wouldn't try a whole car in vinyl wrap, but if I mess up my hood, it would be easy to vinyl wrap it!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:17 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

You asked for advice and got a lot of it,in the end it is your car,live and learn.If you think it will look good,i say go for it.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Honestly, you need to stop being so cheap. I too don't have a "top of the line" Mustang, but I would NEVER do something like that to it. It's cool if you do certain DIY stuff to the car, but you can't expect to take that route with everything. I gave you an honest opinion about painting your interior, I thought that looked pretty good. Painting your seats seemed funny, and look how that turned out for you. You bought aftermarket racing seats and you half-assed the brackets which is just plain stupid if you ask me. Your DIY rear seat delete is cool too, I'll give you that as well. But now you wanna paint your car with a roller?! I'm not trying to offend you. You came here for opinions and I'm giving you mine. I'm a full time college student, I work a full time job that doesn't bring me much money, just enough to get by. The few mods I've done to the car were all purchased by me with my hard earned money, except the GT500 leather take offs that my uncle hooked me up with and the Pioneer head unit which my girlfriend gave me as a Christmas present. I would love to buy all the mods I plan on getting all at once, but that's just not a possibility for me at this moment. I'm just taking it there little by little. I'll only buy a mod once I've saved up enough money for it. You should take this into consideration instead of making stuff that puts your life in danger (half-*** seat brackets), and that will only make your car look bad (roller paint job). End of rant!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

.....really?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
.....really?
If he hadn't posted pics in the other thread about redoing his interior, I might think this post was him trolling... Guess not.

This is like when you drive past an accident and you can't turn away because you WANT to see how bad it will turn out... I'm interested in seeing how it will look.

I guess alot of the problem many of us have had with his pre-determined method of painting is due to it being something we would never do ourselves because we think it will look really bad... I bet plasti-dip conjured up many of the same feelings from the masses until someone finally tried it and now look... there are whole channels on youtube dedicated to this...

I'll be honest, this is not a method I would ever do myself, but damn I wanna see the wreck...

Don
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Maybe Darwin was wrong---

Quick Reply: Rustoleum Paint Job!?