Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Jeremy Clarkson's Pasty English Ass Comes To America To Drive Some Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Det.FrankBullitt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
Well, we followed you into a few misguided battles since World War 2, but thanks for getting in after we did all the hard work...

What's weird is they love the 205 GTi, which when it was being made used a torsion beam rear suspension, which is basically joining the rear wheels together. Meh. I loved my 205 GTi, close ratio gears in a car that weighed a little over 1000kg was great fun, especially when the rear would slide out when I lifted off mid corner. I think it costing stupid amounts of money for petrol (I worked out it would be the equivalent of $130 to fill up my tank if it was in the UK) was the main reason the Mustang is frowned upon back home...
I do agree with you on the misguided battles since World War 2, and I wish to thank the Brit's and all our allies for their service in backing us up. I also have no idea as to why we waited so long before getting involved in WW2. A lot of lives could have been saved if we had gotten into the war sooner. Enough war talk I am here to talk cars. So I take it you must be from England. Do you think I am right about the little roads, not having enough room for a mustang to slide the rear out mid corner?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Well, some of the country roads up in Vermont are similar to the roads I'm used to. I guess it'd be more possible to hit something coming from the other direction. Really, the only thing I can imagine is that the only people that can usually afford to run a car with a V8 engine in the UK will usually go for Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Aston Martins and Jags. If we didn't have to pay £1.35 (over a pound in tax) for a liter of gas, then muscle cars would be more accessible.

Before moving here, the concept of even a 4liter engine was crazy for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Jeremy Clarkson plays to an English audience. The average Brit TopGear viewer can't afford the gasoline for a big V8 let alone the insurance,m registration and taxes. They drive Kias and diesel VW Polos.

It's easy and popular to bash a big country with with big wide roads that takes 5 days to cross instead of an afternoon.

Clarkson et al have mocked the Corvette's leaf springs, the Mustangs solid rear axle, dyno'd a new Shelby GT 500 and mocked it when RWHP was less than 500 failing to explain crank vs. RWHP. Hell, Hammond took a marker and crossed out the 500 on the car's side stripe.

Clarkson owned a Ford GT and sold it aftyer having never ending problems with its immobiliser/alarm ( a system that I believe was installed in England and not original factory equipment). Hammond owned a Dodge Charger with Enki wheels. Who the heck puts Japanese wheels on a General Lee era Charger? His 1967 Mustang has funky "Shelby" stripes (they're not wide enough.

Don't forget Clarkson loved the Corvette ZR1 after driving it across California to Bonneville and running it on the Salt Flats along with Hammond in a Challenger and May in a CTS V. They all loved the American cars.

Recently, Clarkson wrote a column in the Times where he compared Americanas to Brits. He said Americans admire success and when they see a Lamborghini or Bugatti or Mercedes SLR, they give the driver a thumbs up and say, m"maybe one day I can get one.". In England, people throw stuff and the cars and demand the government raise taxes on those who can afford expensive cars because they can't see themselves being successful.

Check and see what 35,000 Sterling buys in England. it ain't a Shelby GT500 Mustang or a Corvette. And, with gasoline costing $9 / US gallon, cheap US muscle cars are an easy target.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Cheap US muscle cars also don't get RHD conversions (but that's mainly the fault of demand, as I am sure if enough people went to Ford dealers, plonked down a few grand, they'd find a way).

The last LS powered car was the Monaco/VXR8, but was priced against the M3. My dad (who only in the last 10 years has had the money) drives an Audi A4 convertible 3.0 V6 and his Suzuki Hayabusa, although he's always wanted a Shelby Cobra, which was the reason for our 70mph speed limit (surprisingly, not the fuel crisis). A lot of my friends went the diesel Golf route, getting them tuned to get some decent power and torque gains, although they are all fwd biased cars.

I came here, a friend let me drive his tuned 2000 Camaro SS, and my idea of the type of car I wanted was changed (mainly because even at half throttle I never felt quite as pinned back into my seat).

The point about expensive cars is right. When I see somebody driving a Bentley or even an M5, I instantly think English "what a ******". Although, that's why things like universal healthcare are difficult here, because the poor republicans who either pay too much for their family's healthcare or don't have health insurance will never support a national health insurance that is cheaper per person/involve no deductibles or copays because they are worried that once they become 'successful', they don't want to pay for others.

Anyway, enough politics. Once I have paid off my current Mustang, I am going to find myself a nice 5.0 GT, which is an engine that normal Brits can't get.

However, if you would like to learn more about the English (I can't say much about the Scots or Welsh) then I can answer any questions - when I first moved here, most of the questions asked by my extended family, new friends, coworkers were basically for me to swear at them with my english accent...

Last edited by steev; 02-14-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

Steev: Yes, do dispense with the politics if all you're gonna do is spew partisan BS. There are many reasons why the U.S. health care system is not as good as it could be. Lack of government involvement or spending (some 40% of federal spending goes towards Medicare & Medicaid) are not among them. I'm game if you want to discuss the matter further, although we should take it to a more appropriate venue than this thread.

Now that I've given you reason to swear at me with your English accent , I must compliment your insistence on a proper manual transmission. Congrats on the 'Stang - have you made any mods yet? Have you posted any pics yet? I'll also take you up on your offer to wax on about English motoring, car culture etc., especially in contrast to this side of the pond. For now, take care, enjoy the ride, and should you ever find yourself traversing the Buckeye state feel free to give us Ohio MFers a holler.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Ha! I couldn't take another moment of driving an automatic. I missed my clutch pedal terribly.

It did take a little getting used to to change gear with my right hand instead of left, but that's fine now.

As I'm in a V6 and it has lower limits on the amount of power it can handle, my plan is to just improve how it puts its power down, how it stops and turns, so wheels and tires, brakes and suspension.

I do have a few pictures in the members mustangs area and did have an eventful first drive, with the thermostat housing cracking on me (but the dealer fixed it for me straight away). Oh, then somebody decided they liked the car do much they'd slide theirs across the front fender...

I'd love to come visit the Buckeye state, one thing I'd like to do is visit as many states as I can now I'm here.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping to get a chance to hop in a RH drive manual when I'm in Oz/NZ next month (just in case they ever put the Stig's fat, American veterinarian cousin into their reasonably priced car), though it looks like our group will need a minivan (Booo!!!), so no luck.

Got my GT (pics in album under my profile) used & came w/the functional shaker. I haven't gotten the chance to do a whole lot w/mine, though I'd say at least a CAI & tune would be worth your while. Noted an increase in fuel economy on "Street" mode (from Bama) and can easily reprogram to "Race" when I autocross. I'm also quite pleased w/the Pype Bombs, which sound awesome and also increase efficiency a bit by replacing the mufflers w/just resonator tips. Not too annoyingly loud, either, even for a couple hrs on the highway. They mellow out at a constant accelerator setting, but give you plenty of roar when you put your foot down. Both upgrades are reasonably priced (under $800 combined for both), but if you're thinking of upgrading to a GT before too long, then I definitely understand that.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 AM
Mr Brooksy

Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet
I was hoping to get a chance to hop in a RH drive manual when I'm in Oz/NZ next month (just in case they ever put the Stig's fat, American veterinarian cousin into their reasonably priced car), though it looks like our group will need a minivan (Booo!!!), so no luck.
You are coming to the land ‘down under’? You really need to get behind the wheel of a 6sp FPV GT with your 5.0 with a Harrop Supercharger strapped on top. Where in Aus are you going? If you can find time, maybe its worth going to a Ford dealer/car yard to meet our Aussie missile. Or make yourself known to us Aussie Ford fanatics on fordforums dot com dot au. Where ever you go, there's liable to be a willing GT owner to take you for a spin.

On the topic of Clarkson, he has a habit of digging the boot into HiPo Fords here too. Labelling them too big with too much power... Clarkson saying anything has too much power seems a bit suss.

Oh and the Vauxhall that went to Britain was a Monaro not Monaco.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 AM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
You are coming to the land ‘down under’? You really need to get behind the wheel of a 6sp FPV GT with your 5.0 with a Harrop Supercharger strapped on top. Where in Aus are you going? If you can find time, maybe its worth going to a Ford dealer/car yard to meet our Aussie missile. Or make yourself known to us Aussie Ford fanatics on fordforums dot com dot au. Where ever you go, there's liable to be a willing GT owner to take you for a spin.

On the topic of Clarkson, he has a habit of digging the boot into HiPo Fords here too. Labelling them too big with too much power... Clarkson saying anything has too much power seems a bit suss.

Oh and the Vauxhall that went to Britain was a Monaro not Monaco.
Ah, stupid autocorrect! That completely slipped my eyes. I guess my phone thought I meant Monaco :|.

I understand when a FWD car has too much power as the front wheels only have so much grip, but the Aussie RWD V8s? Apart from the petrol cost, they aren't too big, seeing as they're (the Holden at least, don't know about the Falcons) evolutions of the Carlton/Omega that wasn't too big back in the 90s. Although they spoke about the global Mustang coming to the UK, said it would only be coming with a 2.0l EcoBoost and were mad that it would be the only engine. Seriously TG, make a decision on what you want!

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson's Pasty English Ass Comes To America To Drive Some Mustangs