Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Cancer from your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
mustanggt03girl

Default Cancer from your Mustang?

I have owned a 2003 Mustang GT for 14 years. At least 10 of those years I had an off-road H pipe setup. Anybody has who has had an off-road pipe setup has experienced the gas fumes.

I bring this up for one important reason. I am under the age of 40 and I have been diagnosed with a blood cancer. And blood cancers can be linked to benzene... AKA gas fumes. For ten years I subjected myself to gas fumes... for a sexy sounding car. And recently I've asked myself was it worth it? I've come to the conclusion.. yes...because I had very much fun for those 10 years and for other reasons.

But, I did decided that I should probably warn other people who may not be thinking of this. Did the gas fumes in my Mustang with modified exhaust cause my cancer... I will never know. But it is definitely possible. And maybe even likely.. considering the distance I drove every day.

At the risk of being attacked by many people I have to warn you that if you make the decision to install an exhaust system that exposes you to gas fumes... you may be exposing yourself to a risk of cancer.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 PM
socal57chevy

That sucks no matter how you slice it.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM
GetRekt

Never really thought about it till now. When I drive my fox I come in the house and notice I smell like gas... I also run dumps on my ca, maybe I shouldn't.. Prayers to you and your family!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 PM
mustanggt03girl

Originally Posted by GetRekt
Never really thought about it till now. When I drive my fox I come in the house and notice I smell like gas... I also run dumps on my ca, maybe I shouldn't.. Prayers to you and your family!
Thank you. I also used to smell like gas...the smell would get stuck in my hair and it would stay there all day. I was driving at least 60 miles a day for a few of those years. It may be only a coincidence, but when you google benzene exposure and leukemia there is lots of information about it. I also didn't think about it until afterwards.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Is that hereditary? I mean surely you could look at some things to help pinpoint if that would in fact contribute. I am assuming you work, so was your work environment possibly hazardous? Or at home, old paints on the walls or some ****?

I have the O/R H on the 99 but a couple hundred more bucks for high flow cats for this issue doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 AM
mustanggt03girl

Originally Posted by mustanggt03girl
I have owned a 2003 Mustang GT for 14 years. At least 10 of those years I had an off-road H pipe setup. Anybody has who has had an off-road pipe setup has experienced the gas fumes.

I bring this up for one important reason. I am under the age of 40 and I have been diagnosed with a blood cancer. And blood cancers can be linked to benzene... AKA gas fumes. For ten years I subjected myself to gas fumes... for a sexy sounding car. And recently I've asked myself was it worth it? I've come to the conclusion.. yes...because I had very much fun for those 10 years and for other reasons.

But, I did decided that I should probably warn other people who may not be thinking of this. Did the gas fumes in my Mustang with modified exhaust cause my cancer... I will never know. But it is definitely possible. And maybe even likely.. considering the distance I drove every day.

At the risk of being attacked by many people I have to warn you that if you make the decision to install an exhaust system that exposes you to gas fumes... you may be exposing yourself to a risk of cancer.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Is that hereditary? I mean surely you could look at some things to help pinpoint if that would in fact contribute. I am assuming you work, so was your work environment possibly hazardous? Or at home, old paints on the walls or some ****?

I have the O/R H on the 99 but a couple hundred more bucks for high flow cats for this issue doesn't sound like a bad idea.
In my case it is not hereditary. That was confirmed when I had blood work done that showed I had an acquired genetic mutation leading to my cancer...meaning I was not born with this genetic mutation. Something I was exposed to caused this. There are many possibilities but when you look at leukemia risk factors benzene exposure is always listed.

I do have a job where I am exposed to a small amount of radiation when I take X-rays on a patient. It is possible that this also contributed.

There are tons of people out there driving around with modified exhaust that don't get cancer. But if you are driving a lot of miles or you have kids in your car then you might want to think twice.