New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Set on a new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Crais

Thumbs up Set on a new Mustang

I've finally decided my next car will be a Mustang. I plan to pull the trigger around November-December and I'm hoping I can get some guidance here.

I've never owned a domestic, or even anything but FWD, so I'm really looking forward to the change.

The main thing I need advice on right now are options. The way things stand now I'm picking
GT Prem
Package 401A
Track Package

The rest of my options are cosmetic.

I'd love some opinions and clarification from people with experience on the difference in things like the brakes (between the Brembo package and the track package). I welcome all advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

One thing people are going to ask about is what you plan to do (aftermarket mods) to the car and what you will be doing with the car. (drag/autocross)
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Crais

I might occasionally head to the strip for a little fun but not the kind of fun that's going to have me swapping wheels for drag radials when I go. First and foremost this will be my DD.

I will do some modding down the road but first I'd like to get accustomed to driving a RWD car. The last thing I want is to get seduced by a great exhaust tone after some modding and do something stupid.

I'm going to focus on getting the options I want and continue my research on mods. I've already learned the hard way that planning and purchasing mods before spending some time in the car is a bad idea. I'm looking forward to it but aside from actually buying the car I have no solid plans.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
MWG2

I just purchased a 2014 V6. The dealer's shop foreman told me to install a Front Strut Tower Brace, saying it will improve the handling. I bought the 302 Ford Brace from CJ Pony. OMG, what a handling difference! He didn't lie. I have done three mods so far: The Brace, Airaid CAI (Cold Air Intake) and a Roush Axle Back Exhaust (Axle Back Exhaust is just a fancy name for a muffler ). So far, so good. But of the three, the Front Strut Tower Brace has been outstanding. I'm enjoying it the most. The handling has truly improved. Two thumbs up for the Strut Brace!

Name:  08b49ab4-83fa-4160-821c-6439b228bb62.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  15.4 KB
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

The track package comes with Brembo breaks so you will not need to be worried there. I went with the Brembo package on my car because I planed on redoing all the suspension the way I wanted it. I would say at minimum get the Brembo package, if you want a bit more out of the gate get the track package too. It just comes with better suspension parts than a GT without. It still can not compete with a well done aftermarket suspension overhaul but its pretty good.

Best bang for you buck mods are a Cold Air Intake and a Tune. Followed by a nice after market exhaust system headers, Midpipe and either axel back exhaust or catback exhaust. If you just more worried about sound a nice axel back will do the trick while increasing come performance.

Stock shifter in the manuals leave a lot to be desired, it likes to lock you out when under heavy acceleration. The MGW short throw shifter will fix that problem right quick.

Things to consider later on down the road are defiantly suspension. The mustang handles more like a high performance sedan when it's stock. Lowering will improve center of gravity and handling, followed by camber bolts to bring the camber back into spec, panhard bar to recenter the rear end. Then if you want to get really fancy upper and lower control arms to get rid of the rear wheel hop that these cars like to have. Normally when you go around a corner and hit a bump you will feel the back end hop. Control arms will take care of that. Then with mine I did front and rear sway bars to stiffen the car up a bit more.

I would also test drive a few cars with different gear ratios for example 3.73, 4.10. See which gears you like more. 3.73 is going to be shorter shifts faster acceleration lower top end speed. The 4.10 will be longer gears and more top end speed. Then you do have 3.55 which is in between but you would have to order those from some place like American Muscle.

Last edited by DocSnickers; 08-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
MWG2

DocSnicker wrote:

"Then if you want to get really fancy upper and lower control arms to get rid of the rear wheel hop that these cars like to have. Normally when you go around a corner and hit a bump you will feel the back end hop. Control arms will take care of that."

Can you just purchase and install control arms or do you need to lower the car too?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MWG2
DocSnicker wrote:

"Then if you want to get really fancy upper and lower control arms to get rid of the rear wheel hop that these cars like to have. Normally when you go around a corner and hit a bump you will feel the back end hop. Control arms will take care of that."

Can you just purchase and install control arms or do you need to lower the car too?
You can put new ones on without lowering.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Are you getting a 2014 or waiting till the new 2015 is out?

A 2014 with Track-Pac and Bem's will have Tower Brace and 255 wider wheels better rims.
Bigger radiator/oil cooler, 373 rear.

If you want to go safe (warranty) and minimalist, get the following:

1. Don't need CAI, stock is good just add K&N filter.
2. Shifter sucks, get a FRPP = very expensive but good and anything you buy that's not FRPP and installed by your dealer is a warranty killer.
3. FRPP tune, everyone says it sucks but it's factory and warranty friendly $450, comes with K7N filter.
4. Two FRPP axil back Sports $700, will tune your exhaust and make it purr to a roar and it will sound sophisticatedly expensive.

That's the reasonable route.

Some drag slicks and no major driveline work and I bet you'll break something.
Might also wait till the 2015's (in 2014 1/2) come-out and see if you can get a better deal on a 2014 or get a 2015.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Crais

I was planning for a 2014. Waiting for the 2015 would put me in my current car longer than I want to be.

The little bit of technical reading I've done on the intake echoes your point, VistaBlueFrank68, but I still see a surprising number of people recommend a CAI. I expect I'll build a custom CAI(keeping stock MAF chamber characteristics) anyway since I enjoy that sort of thing.

One of the major concerns I had with the manual were the reports of gear lock outs under load and Ford's lackluster response to the "few" people with the problem. Would you guys mind elaborating on this and confirming that it's the shifter or linkage at fault? I don't know very much about transmissions so I'm immediately suspicious of anything that could be a transmission problem. Linkage, bushings, shifter assembly....I have no problem replacing/repairing those.

I want to keep my exhaust tone a little subdued. I drive a modded eclipse right now and it's a little embarrassing to pull into some places. I can't say the same would happen with a loud exhaust on this car but I think I'll play it safe for a bit. I've read the the Roush is a tad on the loud side.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 3.73 rear gear. I don't mind frequent shifting but I'd like an 80-90mph cruise to not be too far up the tach.

How does the Track Package suspension compare to a decent aftermarket strut/spring combo? How does it compare to stock GT suspension?

I'll have to speak to the dealer about the FRPP parts, they don't appear to be on the configurator on the Ford website.

I apologize if all of this information is readily available by searching. I've been browsing and reading anything that caught my eye and completely neglected the search link.

Thank you all for the info!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

2014 1/2 is the 2015 debut. It's a tradition. FRPP axil back Sports are sophisticated sounding not obnoxious. 3.73 I've been told "Your always in the Power Band". My
manual has been fine, I've put a Barton short throw with bottom bracket and a steel braided clutch-line, yes steel helps the clutch-line like it helps the brakes.

I've also a Boss intake with a custom 93 tune and I only put a K&N filter in the stock air box, they are engineered well and I dynoed-out at 410 to the ground. I've gutted the suspension and I'm almost bomb proofed the driveline. The Shaftmaster straight driveshaft really picks the car-up and lunches it.

If your going to D/D and have an "On-Ramp Monster" you really don't have to do much.
If you plan to keep it forever - manual 6 speed for sure. Drag Racers like the auto (girl bike). If I had to get another, I'd go with the Track-Pac loaded, The factory can do it cheaper and better. Bosses don't have heated seats

Quick Reply: Set on a new Mustang