New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Looking to buy a mustang to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Coreymatherly1991@gmail.com

Default Looking to buy a mustang to upgrade.

I was looking at a 99 cobra a 03 gt and a 03 mach 1. Which one would be a the best for a fun weekend type car, maybe a daily driver, a race every once in a while and that would be reliable without too many shop visits.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

I'd pick the Mach if I had a choice between the 3.

Good luck
Old 05-05-2016, 10:04 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it's a daily driver I'd go with Mach.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I would probably go for the Mach also.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Thanks the main issue is money. What would it cost to make a gt as good as or better than the mach. I'm asking because I read that gt upgrades and parts are easier to find.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:57 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the machs will be more simply because it's a 4v and they are not that common. That said though basic bolt ons should be the same or very similar since it's the same platform. The cobra has even more differences since it was a factory high performance. I believe that year had the IRS but not 100% on that so that will add to the suspension upgrade cost and of course other areas that ford worked over to be unique to that car. Bottom line cheapest would probably be Mach the 4v just has more potential than the 2v and the Mach is much more similar to the GT than the Cobra it's a nice middle ground.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the help
If I get the mach 1 what should I do to make it perform better ?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
Yeah the machs will be more simply because it's a 4v and they are not that common. That said though basic bolt ons should be the same or very similar since it's the same platform. The cobra has even more differences since it was a factory high performance. I believe that year had the IRS but not 100% on that so that will add to the suspension upgrade cost and of course other areas that ford worked over to be unique to that car. Bottom line cheapest would probably be Mach the 4v just has more potential than the 2v and the Mach is much more similar to the GT than the Cobra it's a nice middle ground.
What upgrades should I give the mach 1?
Old 05-06-2016, 12:33 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Depends on budget really. A good start to squeeze some more power would be CAI/ long tubes/ exhaust and tune. That will be a good start and you will see a decent bump in power and won't kill the bank unless you go high end on all the parts. Suspension mods are always good. Does no good to make more power if you can't plant it. Also a better handling car can feel quicker with less hp. Now if you want to go full on then I would suggest a supercharger. That will squeeze the most hp out of it. I was looking at Marauders which have the same motor as the Mach. They respond well to boost like all modular motors but they will do much better than a 2v with basic bolt ons because they just flow better. I know there was a few companies making full exhaust for the Marauders that may also work on the Machs. My cousins Mach was supercharged which is also a good option if you have the cash.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
Depends on budget really. A good start to squeeze some more power would be CAI/ long tubes/ exhaust and tune. That will be a good start and you will see a decent bump in power and won't kill the bank unless you go high end on all the parts. Suspension mods are always good. Does no good to make more power if you can't plant it. Also a better handling car can feel quicker with less hp. Now if you want to go full on then I would suggest a supercharger. That will squeeze the most hp out of it. I was looking at Marauders which have the same motor as the Mach. They respond well to boost like all modular motors but they will do much better than a 2v with basic bolt ons because they just flow better. I know there was a few companies making full exhaust for the Marauders that may also work on the Machs. My cousins Mach was supercharged which is also a good option if you have the cash.
In my are there is two mach 1s that I'm looking at one is stock 80000 miles for 12000
The other has K/N intake, CC plates, lowered, 19" Konig wheels, Hurst shifter, Mac Prochamber with hi flow cats, and exhaust.
120000 miles for 10000
Which one would be better because I want a vehicle to last as well.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a mustang to upgrade.