New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

99 mustang with P0340 camshaft position sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Chrisxsvt

Default 99 mustang with P0340 camshaft position sensor help

i have a 99 mustang just swapped it with a 2002 v6 engine (sad I know) only code I'm getting is ^ tested my alternator at auto zone it passed read at 130 amps it is a rebuilt alternator though got it a week ago. Replaced the camshaft synchronizer with the old one off my 99 ran normal for a few minutes then the code came back. What's going on??
Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

when did the code get thrown? After the rebuilt was installed?

Check your grounds near the alternator and nearest the CAM Sensor.

Rebuilt alternators only replace the parts that have failed. How they determine what's failed varies greatly from company to company. It is possible the rebuilt has a bad electrical component (works ok but adds noise to the current) which is causing interference with the Camshaft sensor signal. Its common on 05+ mustangs to throw that code (or similar camshaft sensor code) when the alternator's electrical waveform is jacked up from a failed electrical component.

You can only spot that noise on an oscilliscope. I can guarantee you Autozone or any auto parts only store will not have one to check the electrical waveform they just check for output and shorts/opens. Take it to an auto shop and have them diagnose the issue.

If the grounds are ok, a shop can check the alternator out properly and find the problem ultimately.