New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1989 Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L - Multiple Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
The Traveler of Both Time and Space

The Traveler of Both Time and Space's Avatar

Default 1989 Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L - Multiple Problems

Hello,

I am a survivor of the 2017 WA State Snowpocalypse. My steed however took a toll and has not yet been able to recover. Please help us.

As I traversed through the storm that took countless lives, I found myself in the most frightful of situations, my beautiful red and black Mustang sitting on a patch of black ice!! Oh the horror! Reminiscing now sends shivers down my spine, body's aching all the time. I fought bravely and valiantly and managed to breakout, though not unscathed.

So there I was, holding my place in line, atop of the most treacherous of hills. Behind me sat a chain of mechanical constructs similar to mine, only ugly because they were not Mustangs. The arrogant fool directly behind me was so close I could almost feel his icy stench. They must have assumed I was in an automatic vehicle, how very foolish of them. It was because of this aforementioned fool that there was nowhere for me to go but to scale further upwards. There was no escape.

Nonetheless, we all waited patiently for the beacon ahead to bless us with its green rays of light, and it did, but it was at that very moment when all hell broke loose. I stepped on the clutch, shifted to first, and put the pedal to the metal as any Mustang driver in their right mind would have done. The horror I felt at that very moment is indescribable; it was like being a rock that couldn't roll. IT WAS HELL!!! My rear tires spun and spun, and turned and twisted and spun some more, but I however sat motionless. I was frozen like the patch below my tires. The first idea that came to mind was to turn my steering wheel from left to right in an attempt to break loose. It worked. I broke free from the demon below but that villainous creature placed a curse upon my horse. As I fought to break free I had revved up to, but no more than, 5,000 rotations per minute in first gear.

It was as I carried onward that I noticed my red and black beauty sputtering at approximately 3,000 rotations per minute in all five gears. As of yet I have found no resolve and as such I must turn to you in pity. Oh the shame! To be such an ignorant possessor of such a wonderful creature and to not know how to care for it... shame on me. I'm not worthy of your kindness but yet I dare ask for a helping hand!! Someone please show mercy on my poor distraught soul. What is causing the sputtering and what can I do to be of aide?!

Also, my turn signals won't blink but my hazards do, any idea what that's all about?

Best Regards,

The Traveler of Both Time and Space
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

I'd start with a basic but complete tune up first, if it hasn't been done in a while.

And try swapping the flasher relay with the directionals relay. They are the same and will till you if that's the issue.

And buy a car more suited for snow lol. Good story.....

Any other questions you have, post it the Tech section. There's one specific to Fox's and also 4 cyl. Mustangs.

Good luck