New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

94 GT 5.0 Oil on spark plug threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Joshbnnt77

Default 94 GT 5.0 Oil on spark plug threads

Hi I'm new to here and never have posted first of all but I have some mechanical knowledge. I have a 94 mustang GT 5.0 I did an egr delete kit to my car today and noticed I had a bad plug took it out and there is oil all over it from the threads down not just a little but alot
Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

If the oil is just on the threads you may just have a leaky valve cover gasket. Your motor would smoke quite a bit if it's as much oil as your discribing.

How does the electrode look on the spark plug ? Same color as the rest ?

A picture of this plug will help us....

And just out of curiosity, how did you notice the plug was bad in the first place ?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Joshbnnt77

Yes the electrode looks the same as the rest. But I noticed it was bad because when I finished my egr delete I was looking at everything because it was running crappy and I noticed Sparks coming from the spark pkug, like coming from the hole where the plug is not the wire. And how do I replace a valve cover gasket is it something someone with a little mechanical knowledge could do?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Joshbnnt77

Also I've had the car about 10,000 miles well about 6 months. It's my daily driver and as far as plugs and wires I've only replaced the plugs and distributor cap and rotor never the plugs. It has for racing plugs. Should I just replace wires and plugs and see how it does? Or I need to do the valve covers too?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Joshbnnt77

Sorry never replaced the wires.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:33 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Replacing the valve cover gaskets isn't hard at all. It may be alittle intimidating at first because you have to remove the upper intake, but if you can turn a wrench you can do it. Google or YouTube will have video's of practically anythng you want to see.

Sounds like your wires are bad if your seeing an arc from the spark plug boots to the heads. Common issue on older wire sets. And you might as well replace the plugs with just the stock replacement if they've been in awhile.

And probably most important, go over your vacuum lines. They can cause alot of trouble if they're original yet. Even the smallest leak can cause idle/driveabilaty issues.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask in the Tech section. Good luck
Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Joshbnnt77

Default Reply

Thank you I will replace both plugs and wires this weekend. And I've replaced vacuum hoses a couple months ago.