New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Import enthusiast checking in

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Sephiroth

Default Import enthusiast checking in

Hey guys and gals, great website you have here.

As the thread title suggests, i've been in the import world for many years now but lately i've taken a liking to the new mustang. Most of my time has been spent with rotaries. Ill be in the market for a car in a few months so im beginning to do my reasearch now.

I went to Ford's website and priced out the car (GT), im aware of the options that are available and such. However, im completely clueless about the mustang potential, and it's aftermarket. How well does the V8 respond to mods? What kind of T/C and S/C are there? The mustang has a unique rear suspension setup, id like to know more about that. What are some popular suspension setups for the street? Bodykits? In other words, is there a FAQ for n00bs like me?

Thanks.
AJ
Old 01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: Import enthusiast checking in

welcome aboard! ...post that in the 05-06 section, you'll get all the answers you need + alot more.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:30 AM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums. The aftermarket world is huge for mustangs.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Sephiroth

Thanks guys. Ill post up in 05/06 forum.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
denizen
2nd Gear Member

I love wankles! I've owned 2 RX7s in my car ownership lifetime and they were the best. I still think about getting one sometime but one car is all I can handle at the moment. If you're in the market to purchase a newish mustang I envy you. I definately dig the new body style - it looks so tough. I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the modding potential. Mustangs have been modded for a long time now there's a ton of parts.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome! Find your way over to the 05+ forum and you'll find all the info you need...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Sephiroth

ORIGINAL: denizen

I love wankles! I've owned 2 RX7s in my car ownership lifetime and they were the best. I still think about getting one sometime but one car is all I can handle at the moment. If you're in the market to purchase a newish mustang I envy you. I definately dig the new body style - it looks so tough. I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the modding potential. Mustangs have been modded for a long time now there's a ton of parts.
I still drive my old 1990 RX-7 N/A. 167k miles and still drives like a champ. Unfortunately, the car's power isn't up to par with today's standards. I considered getting a Turbo II or an FD, but i feel those cars demand too much attention. When they release another RX-7 or an RX-3, it might finally be time to retire my 7.

The mustang will replace my daily driver car. As long as i can still daily drive it, i have every intention of supercharging the stang. Only time will tell at this point.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
denizen
2nd Gear Member

RX-3's are so neat. I've actually ridden in one. They remind me (their body) of the Datsun B210.
I just looked at an '89 RX7 today actually at the Pick N' Pull. I think the motor was blown or something because it turned over but belched black and white smoke when it fired up, for a while. The interior was thrashed and so was the paint. Only $1000, but that just seemed a little too much a project for me to bite off at least for learning mechanics. Is it true you can buy a rebuilt motor directly from Japan for not much $$? Used to be, back in the day, but I'm unsure if they are still that cheap.

What other cars have you owned? I've had 2 MG Midgets (you always need a parts car you know), a '70 Dodge Dart, a '77 Mustang II hatchback, RX7's, a Mitsubishi Mirage 2.0, a Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Corolla wagon (hands down probably the most dependable car I ever owned), and a Jeep Grand Wagoneer - what a tank. I spent 3 years without a cage and only had motorcycles - a Kawi GPz550 and a Triumph Sprint ST. I think there's a lot of car enthusiasts here... lots of people seem to own more than just a Mustang.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
MildFiveOh

Agreed, as far as most of us owning other rides too. In my ideal world, I'd have my mustang and cherokee that currently eat up paychecks, and I'd find a good dependable import to daily drive.

With the hp/liter ratios of todays imports, 14 second e.t.'s and 25-30 mpg isnt all that hard to come by.

From another newbie, welcome. Wish I could afford to set my sights on an '06.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

welcome and check out the 05-06 sections for your answers.

Quick Reply: Import enthusiast checking in