Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

A little info on Valvoline 's 300k guarantee

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

So what wrong with valvoline?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

valvoline sucks.. i use it once to try it out in my 1999 neon it had broken down way to quick.. then started useing royal pur. lol been using it ever since.. mobil 1 at bad either good stuff. in the race car i use royal pur..lol. but i may try the amsoil oil just cause thay support this site.. may be worth a shot..
Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Fobra
Banned

Oil is one of the most BS topics there are... synthetic is synthetic... its 100x better than whatever garbage your manufacturer put in there... RP vs Mobil 1 vs. Edge... 99.999% BS, dont be an advertisement sucker. IMO if like valvoline then run it... but dont expect anything from the 300k warranty.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
So what wrong with valvoline?
the product? maybe nothing,

here is what I have a problem with.

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
Clearly, the push behind the Valvoline program is
profit, and a person can’t fault Valvoline for that. We
are all in this business to make money. What you can
fault Valvoline for, and all others who continue to support
3,000-mile oil change intervals, is their irresponsibility
in regard to consumers and the environment.
To be sure, way too much money is being wasted on
unnecessary oil changes, and way too much used oil is
being generated.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 AM
rafacalz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike castaldo
valvoline sucks.. i use it once to try it out in my 1999 neon it had broken down way to quick.. then started useing royal pur. lol been using it ever since.. mobil 1 at bad either good stuff. in the race car i use royal pur..lol. but i may try the amsoil oil just cause thay support this site.. may be worth a shot..
I use Valvoline in my truck, hasn't had a problem yet with 200,000 miles. Don't know what the big fuss is all about
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
01_torch_red_vette
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
What you can
fault Valvoline for, and all others who continue to support
3,000-mile oil change intervals, is their irresponsibility
in regard to consumers and the environment.
To be sure, way too much money is being wasted on
unnecessary oil changes, and way too much used oil is
being generated.
Of course they are going to suggest that you do an oil change evey 3k. What company that sells any product wouldnt reccomend using their product more. I dont find any fault in them for attempting to up their sales. Thats how capitolism works. I would say it is the responibility of the consumer to educate themselves and decide what is a marketing attempt, and what is the right oil change interval. Plus its not like the used oil that is generated gets dumped into a storm drain. Im sure there plenty of regulations in place to make sure used oil is disposed of properly. After the whole climate-gate email situation I'm none to sold on the whole global warming, err wait, climate change panic. I'm pretty sure Al Gore and the likes have made a fortune on all this green technology/carbon credit stuff. Not to say that we arent doing any harm to the environment at all, but its hard to sift through the hidden agendas.

As far as what oil brand is the best. I dont have any results in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there is plenty of lab testing that shows amsoil outperforming the competition. I am a huge fan of their filters especially. I rememner seeing a comparison (in this forum i think)to other filters with regards to particle size found in the oil and the results were pretty convincing to me.

Last edited by 01_torch_red_vette; 01-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreamer1
So your saying, you guys don't change oil at 3000.. Exuse me for being a noob and most likely an ignorant one at that.. But I thought 3000/ every three months, was standard practice. Long as i don't use water to clean out my crank case I should be fine..

I try to change mine ever 3-4k...but I also have a blower and see boost numerous times a day, and drive my car every day so I feel like I should
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

5 and 3/8 quartz is what my wife's '06 pathfinder uses that has 46K miles on it. I can buy the 5 quart container and a filter and an extra quart for the 3/8 for only $25 at walmart. I read the Valvoline details before signing up. If I don't have a warranty and I have to change my oil anyways, why not???? IT"S GETTING A FREE WARRANTY PEOPLE!!!
So 3,000 miles might be too early for an oil change, but it's a small price to pay for the day at 60K, or 299,000 when a piston rod breaks or an oil pump fails and a new engine is needed. If it'll cost me $833 in oil and filters for every 100K miles and I'm doing double the oil changes the car really needs, then please tell me where else can I get a 100K mile warranty for $416 then since $416 would be the cost for oil for 100K miles of use if I changed it every 6k miles instead. If $1,248=300K miles for a warranty then, and an engine is maybe $4-5K, guess who wins! Simple math people.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Shimrra

i have no experience with amsoil and i have never seen any proof (never looked into it)
from what i know is that RP and M1 are some of the best oil out there but oil changes are really dependent on your driving style, changing too early wont hurt, i change it in my truck at ~4k in the summer and ~2.5k in the winter because my commute is ~4miles
if you just need that peice of mind and you can afford it, do it when YOU want, just dont push it.
and i know that M1 is a good oil becasue the local construction company (ONG) uses it in their trucks and they keep them on the road for ~250k (mind you this is in like 5 years)

and if you go near quakerstate, please donate your care to a local scrapyard

Last edited by Shimrra; 01-22-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

There are alot of good points brought up in here. Gotta give a thumbs up for very little bashing. However, us and forum members of similiar cars dont hesitate to do the work ourselves. I feel the warranty Valvoline offers is quite worthless for the points already mentioned. I dont think they will even pay ONE claim with it.

Here's something to ponder. I own a repair shop. I could buy the cheap oil, but I dont. My shop is dressed in Valvoline colors. I buy Valvoline in bulk for the oil changes. I use Amsoil in my personal cars. I change the oil in them at a mileage I am comfortable with.
When people ask me when they should change their oil because the manuals all say 6-7500mi, I say "It depends on your driving demands and the vehicle you drive. 3000 mi isnt necessary anymore, but if thats where your comfort level is, thats fine. Continue with what makes you comfortable. An oil change is cheap insurance for peace of mind knowing it's being taken care of." I dont lie. I dont make crap up. I'm honest about it. When a person asks that question, they are usually people that rack up miles quickly. Business travelers, long commuters, etc. So we start by going up in 1000mi increments, to a point where the oil is getting ugly. I realize color is not indicative of oil life and say so. However, when an oil analysis is $20, and an oil change is $20-30. What are you really saving? All shops dispose of it properly, or burn it for heat like I do. So the environment issue is moot, unless you only refer to the DITY's. But since all I see is people who hate spending money on their cars unless there is a problem that prevents them from driving it, it may be easier for all of you DITY's to understand how it would be hard to let go of that 3-5,000mi oil change/inspection interval. People depend on me, and other shops to let them know when problems are on the horizon. Whether or not other shops recommendations are legit or not, I cannot say. I know I have had plenty of people over the years that come in saying "This other place said I need something done" only to find out they were lying.
Getting back on track. My wifes car gets its oil changed every 8-10,000mi. She has a much longer drive than I do. Mustang gets changed twice a year. I change my van every 5,000mi. I only drive 2 miles each way to my shop. The oil gets disgusting in it. But then, every Caravan 3.3 or 3.8 is the same way. When those vans are here, I let them drain until they drip. If the plug goes in too soon, it almost doesnt look like it was changed.
All of us here, have a love of cars. The other 95% of the population looks at a car as an appliance. Spending money on it seems like a sin. And when it starts to break, thoughts of a new one start to creep in, even though the repair may be minor. They would rather pay for a new car....again....instead of fixing what they have. Weird. But only understandable if the car is a turd.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 01-28-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: A little info on Valvoline 's 300k guarantee