Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Switching to synthetic???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'd just go with Mobile 1. It's cheap, convienent, and is just as good as RP.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
http://www.facebook.com/Wolverton1?v...1/224840875133

read this then ask me my source and i'll explain RP specifically.
I think your getting it mixed with there "racing oil" that stuff need to be change pretty often. But the regular RP oil can go much longer.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Wow learned a lot about oil in that write up! I never knew that all the different weight oils (5-30, 10-30 etc etc) had the same thickness at the operating temperature.

If this is true though, why are there different oil thickness and not just 0-30w? I ask this because the guy basically states throughout the whole write up that the 0-30w is the best oil to use because it is the least thick at cold/start up temperatures resulting in less engine wear and tear. Many manufacturers state different weights for their vehicles and am just curious as to if there is more to oil then just the guy talked about? Idk much about oils so i'm just curious...
Old 11-22-2009, 01:16 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

wannabe:

certain cars are going to need different oils with different viscosity characteristics (0w-30 vs -40 , -50 etc) in order to keep the proper lubrication... higher revving cars are going to need thinner oils to lubricate parts at higher RPMs and dispatch heat...worn out/older cars are going to need thicker oils for the same reasons. He is saying that its different strokes for different folks, and to use what gets your car into the proper viscosity range (10 psi per 1000 RPM). For our cars 0w-30 would be best because its thinner (than others) at start-up and lubricates at the proper viscosity at operating temperature.

I put full syn 0w-30 Mobil1 in my baby and change it regularly. Just because I can go longer in between changes doesnt mean she deserves that
Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

btw good link sxynerd....

and for the record RP is way overpriced lol
Old 11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Thanks slowbra that does help me out. Next oil change I am going to put in 0-30w and when I'm going to start going to the track, 0-20w. (it's a weekend/track only car)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
rafacalz
1st Gear Member

interesting. so why cant rp extended the change intervals. i see that racing oils have to be changed more often, but rp isn't a racing oil
Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

^^^IIRC, the article states that synthetic oil doesn't get bad like conventional does and the need to change your oil every 3 months/3,000 miles isn't needed. I don't think it is just RP but all synthetics that increase the interval.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
rafacalz
1st Gear Member

^^^^true but sxynerd said this,

Mobil1 is what I run. Royal P is great oil but with that stuff you'll need to change your oil more often due to the amount of detergents and Additives wear out really quick and RP costs almost twice as much so not only will you pay more but you'll be changing it more often.
i just want to hear the reasoning behind the statement.
I'm just curious that is all
Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 PM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

RP has a ton of additives and detergents in their line of motor oil in order to increase performance. the problem is that these detergents break down at a faster rate (sometimes) based on engine use during the given time peroid. so, for example, if you drive your car regularly and dont stomp its guts out, have a relatively clean engine (internal), and continually top off the oil level, RP says you CAN go 12k miles before an oil change as long as you swap out filters every 5k or so.

even manufacturers like mercedes only schedule an oil change every 12k-15k depending on the cycle ( i dont have one my boss does, and he gets his oil changed every 12k on his "b" cycle), but they use full syn and dont expect the drivers to beat the hell out of their cars.

an oil like RP however in a car thats driven a certain degree harder CAN break down at a faster rate due to the level of detergents. so if you drive the hell out of your car you MIGHT kill the oil quicker. if you have a dirty engine you MIGHT kill the oil quicker (as the detergents in RP are formulated to remove buildup, naturally the oil would become more dirty as the parts become more clean). or if you continually forget to top off or swap filters, the oil left circulating in your engine would become dirtier and dirtier at a much faster rate, almost as if the grime was becoming concentrated as the amount of oil dwindled.

long story short...pick the oil you like, or hell, pick the one thats on sale. synthetics do the job better, so youre better off going synthetic. brands really dont matter as long as you dont pick up the "walmart" brand......and last but not least CHANGE IT WHEN ITS DIRTY. just because the oil manufacturer says you can drive the **** out of your car for 12k THEN change the oil, doesnt mean you should. In fact, I may argue that even more importantly, if you want to extend the times between oil changes you should ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR FILTER AS THE SCHEDULED TIMES (as this would help prevent oil breakdown anyway).

ps: sorry for the long post, but i needed a break from studying for organic chem

Quick Reply: Switching to synthetic???