Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Oil change: synth vs. dino

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
According to the "Pre-sale" service paper work they gave me when I bought the car in Sept. it shows oil and filter 10w-30 at $3.69 a qt which tells me that it was dino.

It doesn't smoke at every start up. If I start it up and move it out of the garage then start it up even an hour later it will smoke. It's still under warranty so if it gets worse I will take it to the Ford dealership.. that should be interest.
I'd check the PCV valve/system before anything else. It may just be sucking a little oil into the intake...
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I thought about that last night but haven't had a chance to check it out. Odd that it started after the oil change but I have my fingers crossed.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I thought about that last night but haven't had a chance to check it out. Odd that it started after the oil change but I have my fingers crossed.
Just replace the pcv valve first its under 5$ and go from there, if a car puffs a little oil on start up or on gas from extended idle its usually a hardened/worn valve seal, and beleive me unless its BAD the dealership isn't gonna tear into the head to replace them they will simple rule it as normal oil consumption.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

It doesn't smoke at every start up. If I start it up and move it out of the garage then start it up even an hour later it will smoke. It's still under warranty so if it gets worse I will take it to the Ford dealership.. that should be interest.
I'm surprised nobody else commented on this. It's a "known issue". Something about oil pooling and collecting when ran for a short period. I think it does it more if parked on an incline.

I have a steep driveway; If I pull my car out of the garage to wash it then start it up a short time later it will smoke like the rings are shot!! White smoke everywhere. Other than that it doesn't burn a drop or smoke at all.

I had a 2008 (and now a 2010) and they BOTH did it from day one.

I've read about it on a couple of different forums.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

You described it perfectly STANGmole. I haven't had it happen lately though.