Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Royal Purp good for high milage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

"I see that you live in Illinois. Is your car driven year round? How hot does it get in the summer? How cold in the winter? How far do you drive your car on average per start up?"

Driven year round. Get up to mid 80's to 90s in summer and can get anywhere to about 10-20 degrees in winter. Average start up its driven just to school and work so about 15-25 miles
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheNameless
"I see that you live in Illinois. Is your car driven year round? How hot does it get in the summer? How cold in the winter? How far do you drive your car on average per start up?"

Driven year round. Get up to mid 80's to 90s in summer and can get anywhere to about 10-20 degrees in winter. Average start up its driven just to school and work so about 15-25 miles
Do you ever road race your car?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Beast gave the only good advice. The rest is fail. 3000 miles on a true synthetic. Money must be free. Why can't guys understand that there are these people called engineers and chemists who formulate these oils,you know guys way smarter than us and if they say 15000 miles why do gearheads think they know more than these educated individuals who formulate the stuff. 3000 mile oil changes are a thing of the past. Like 20 years ago. Get with the program. Thanks beast for backing up your advice with facts. And you guys who like mobil,wal-mart brand oil is mobil in a different package so if your gonna throw money away you can burn a bit less by using that. 3000 miles on Amsoil. Not a very bright bulb
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by JRad405
Mobil 1 is all I use. I tried the Amsoil thing, but seriously I think I just was uncomfortable with the once a year oil change. If you are willing to do the royal purple stuff why not go to the oil section and ask about the other Amsoil oils. They have some good input.
Once a year oil change? I'm sorry that sounds very retarded. I'll never take my car past 5000 miles without a oil change.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03_mach_won
Once a year oil change? I'm sorry that sounds very retarded. I'll never take my car past 5000 miles without a oil change.
How many miles a year do you drive your car?

Let's assume that someone only drives their car 8,000 miles in one year, and they used a top tier synthetic lubricant like Amsoil.

Do you think it's retarded for that person to only change their oil once a year?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Do you think it's retarded for that person to only change their oil once a year?
Let me rephrase it: If your driving your car 7 days a week and you only change your oil once a year.. thats just retarded. I assume your using Amsoil didn't mean to offend anyone here.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by 03_mach_won
Let me rephrase it: If your driving your car 7 days a week and you only change your oil once a year.. thats just retarded. I assume your using Amsoil didn't mean to offend anyone here.
Not really with the good oil

I could not do it, my OCD would kick in bad
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Not really with the good oil

I could not do it, my OCD would kick in bad
I'm with you on the OCD part.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
KrazyPony

I have wondered about this too, esp since I drive 100miles round trip every day to and from work, and am about ready to push close to 123k on my car. So been wondering about the True Synthetics vs just getting it changed every other month deal I currently do.

Have read stuff on RP and Amsoil... this is some good info
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KrazyPony
I have wondered about this too, esp since I drive 100miles round trip every day to and from work, and am about ready to push close to 123k on my car. So been wondering about the True Synthetics vs just getting it changed every other month deal I currently do.

Have read stuff on RP and Amsoil... this is some good info
With all of the highway miles you drive, you're a perfect candidate for a true synthetic. If I were in your position, I would use a top tier synthetic for a 15,000 mile oil change interval. The combination I posted below would be my #1 pick to easily achieve a safe 15,000 mile interval.

Amsoil 10W-30

Amsoil Ea011 oil filter

and before someone asks me, "Why 10W-30 and not 5W-20" Please click and read the link below.

Team Shelby - Why 10W-30 <---- read posts #30 and #31

I can even tell you how to buy it at dealer cost, and never pay the retail price.

Quick Reply: Royal Purp good for high milage?