Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Trial by cone - A day of AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

Default Trial by cone - A day of AutoX

For those of us in the Pacific Northwest, Memorial Day Weekend has a second meaning - the beggining of competitive auto cross season! Sure, we'd run a few slush runs in January and Febuary, but the sunny weather gives us an excuse to finally brush the dust off of those summer / R compound tires and head out to Bremerton Motorsports park (read: large abandoned airfield in the middle of nowhere).

So, my good friend and I kicked things off by washing our cars:

The E46 belongs to my friend and was just the victim of an Aktiv Autowerk Supercharger install. Now he has... still a lot less horsepower than a Mustang! Still though, any S/C Bimmer is a force to be reckoned with.
Now, the Bremerton track was playing host to two events: the BEAC Practice (what we raced in) and the first regional SCCA event. My friend and I ambled on down to the SCCA pit area to see what we could see:

This car is a regular and VERY competitive. Running on slicks, this car will chase down STI's, Evo's, 'Vettes, and Miata's like nobodies business. So long as its dry.

Now this gem looked just like your average air-cooled Porsche on the outside. Looking closer revealed a bevy of aftermarket parts making this one of the fastest cars present. For example: fully adjustable dampers, strut tower braces front and back, new rotors and calipers, aaaaand...

Two distributors. Why? Because everyone's car should have 2 spark plugs per cylinder!

Ultimate automotive irony: The guy in the Z4 had an epic mullet, but the dude in the IROC 'Maro was clean-cut.

Ok! Race time! Some details about the course: Usually autoX courses are very tight and technical, perfect for Miata's and Lotusi and other small, nimble cars. This course, however, had some real bonefied almost-straights with enough room to really get on the beans and wind out 2nd gear.

See the single track of the outer rear wheel? Apparently Posi-traction means I'm Positively sure I'm doing a one-tire-frier.

All in all it was a great day! On the stock all-seasons with the hideously heavy fan-blades I was running about 5-6 seconds off some of the fastest cars.

Modificashuns:
- Tokico D-Spec's with Steeda Sport Springs, panhard rod and brace, and HD strut mounts.
- C&L CAI + Brenspeed tune (was running 91 that day)
- Front end alignment: -1.75 degrees of camber and 1/32" toe out <- KEY

So! For all of those who like eating cones, come in and have a chat!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Trial by cone - A day of AutoX

love the Mullet Z4 and Maro pic!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

showing everyone that American Muscle can actually handle!

it's awesome to see people that actually "drive" their cars to it's limits, and not just in a straight line

Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?

See the single track of the outer rear wheel? Apparently Posi-traction means I'm Positively sure I'm doing a one-tire-frier.
um, if you were doing a "one tire fire" like i always do (i don't have posi), it would be the inside tire burning up, not the outside one. your posi was working fine, just not enough weight on that right rear tire to lay down tread
Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

1990CamaroRS looks like you need to tighten up that suspension! getting alot of roll there! But it is refreshing to see people not affraid to Auto-X the American muscle!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 PM
hunterd557
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1990CamaroRS

showing everyone that American Muscle can actually handle!

it's awesome to see people that actually "drive" their cars to it's limits, and not just in a straight line

OH YEAH!!!

It's always good times to see other REAL drivers out there!!!

-Stig

Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

1990CamaroRS looks like you need to tighten up that suspension! getting alot of roll there! But it is refreshing to see people not affraid to Auto-X the American muscle!
lol, i know. i'm still running the entire factory suspension from 1990 i need new shocks, struts, a full bushing kit (sway bar bushings too) and some good tires. Kelly Charger tires don't have any grip.[:@]
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM
ShawnAlexander
1st Gear Member

More Mustangs need to get out to an Autocross near them and drive their cars!!