Other Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

AutoX fox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
03BLCKNGHT
1st Gear Member

Default AutoX fox?

Hey guys I want to start up my summer-spring project. Want to build a pretty serious street legal AutoX Notch. Already got the car its justa bone stock 4 cylinder

Never done autocross before, or built a car for it. Need some help
Engine: Not sure what to go with, all motor 302, what do people usually go with for the mustangs?
Suspension?
Tires?
Just need some ideas here guys, maybe some links if ya could id appreciate it.
Like i said This thing is going to be streetable but I want something pretty nasty
Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Well..... Start by going to www.scca.com and look at the rules by class and modification lists. After that, my suggestion especially since you are new to autocross is drive the car bone stock on street tires as is. Learn how to drive, auto-crossing isn't a natural way to drive and there is no way to practice it daily driving everyday. Some things you can pick-up but most elements you cannot. Some of the best national level drivers race in the stock class categories, which have very minimal modification rules for the cars. I have seen plenty of fast drivers in low cars drive around slow drivers in much faster more capable cars. Seat time is where you will get better first.

Having said all of that, by no means am I shooting down your goals of building up a car. Each class builds on each other, so start with the stock class changes then go from there. You drive the car; the car doesn't drive for you, so learn what you are doing on the track before you start messing with the car.

Everyone at autocross events are always helpful, so ask questions, ask for tips keep an open mind. Then be prepare to become addicted

Last edited by jayel579; 07-10-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 PM
limp1969
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03BLCKNGHT
Hey guys I want to start up my summer-spring project. Want to build a pretty serious street legal AutoX Notch. Already got the car its justa bone stock 4 cylinder

Never done autocross before, or built a car for it. Need some help
Engine: Not sure what to go with, all motor 302, what do people usually go with for the mustangs?
Suspension?
Tires?
Just need some ideas here guys, maybe some links if ya could id appreciate it.
Like i said This thing is going to be streetable but I want something pretty nasty
I would start with gutting the car to make it light. the next thing would be tires and brakes. You will need a 5 lug conversion, a stock motor with the correct top end and some gears in the rear end can be a great car. Suspension would be next. I like the MM stuff for the money. You can take small steps. Get bilstiens on the car 1st. Then when you have the $$ get thier coil over kit ,torque arm and panhard bar. Scale the car and cross weight it and you will have your self a pretty nice track/street car. Changing bushings also will help. Inner and outer tie rods and ***** joints will tighten up the steering
I can tell you that an AI car would be much more fun to build. Auto-x is really not that fun. to me
Its like playing chess. You can't pass anyone. This is one of the skills that you would need to have to race on a real track. How to pass. The other thing is I thing you might beable to go 60mph on the solo course here in san diego. Build your car for scca gt1 or nasa AIX and then you will really learn to road race your car.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by limp1969
I would start with gutting the car to make it light. the next thing would be tires and brakes. You will need a 5 lug conversion, a stock motor with the correct top end and some gears in the rear end can be a great car. Suspension would be next. I like the MM stuff for the money. You can take small steps. Get bilstiens on the car 1st. Then when you have the $$ get thier coil over kit ,torque arm and panhard bar. Scale the car and cross weight it and you will have your self a pretty nice track/street car. Changing bushings also will help. Inner and outer tie rods and ***** joints will tighten up the steering
I can tell you that an AI car would be much more fun to build. Auto-x is really not that fun. to me
Its like playing chess. You can't pass anyone. This is one of the skills that you would need to have to race on a real track. How to pass. The other thing is I thing you might beable to go 60mph on the solo course here in san diego. Build your car for scca gt1 or nasa AIX and then you will really learn to road race your car.

So the guy who has never autoxed before *should* instead build a car for wheel to wheel racing?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
So the guy who has never autoxed before *should* instead build a car for wheel to wheel racing?
And setup the motor first before suspension. This is someone who doesn't race.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

In addition to the various SCCA sources, track down a copy of William Mathis' softcover book "Mustang Performance Handbook 2".

Drive it more or less the way it is and as you gradually build it up.

Be aware that some seemingly very minor modifications will move you up potentially into direct competition against some really serious equipment (think stripped, gutted, windowless, full roll caged cars). For most folks, it tends to be discouraging to be regularly beaten by 10 seconds on a 50 second course.

Norm
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
limp1969
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
And setup the motor first before suspension. This is someone who doesn't race.
And you must have your F1 comp license?

You have no idea what I race. The guy wants advice on building a serious autox car. I am building 2 right now at my shop. I own and race an AIX car. I was simply giving him options.

"Want to build a pretty serious street legal AutoX Notch"

Sorry guys I should have gave him your great advise which was nothing!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
limp1969
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Yes did you read what he said

shut your mouth and go play chess in a parking lot around the cones til you get some ***** and want to run on a real track.

Last edited by limp1969; 07-16-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

OP first needs to find out where his definitions of "pretty serious" and "street legal" converge. It is not possible to make any sort of reasonable recommendations until then.

"Pretty serious" needs some further clarification, as in what class? E-Street prepared? Whatever Street Touring class you can fit it into? C-Prepared? Street Mod? E-Modified?

Limp, you're building a CP or SM car for somebody who has never autocrossed before. Let's find out where he wants to put it first. Then we can help him start building it. What you're putting into the auto-X builds in your shop may help, or may not depending on what classes those cars and the OP's car are going to fall into.

Norm
Old 07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

And you must have your F1 comp license?

You have no idea what I race. The guy wants advice on building a serious autox car. I am building 2 right now at my shop. I own and race an AIX car. I was simply giving him options.

Sorry guys I should have gave him your great advise which was nothing!
Ok, so you don't like autocross that is understood. By no means was I questioning your "building" abilities. As I said I was not shooting down the OP's desire to build a car, I was just giving some direction. Your "options" weren't event about autocross, you said flat out, "it is really not that fun, it is more fun to build an AI car".

AI car would be much more fun to build. Auto-x is really not that fun. to me
Its like playing chess. You can't pass anyone. This is one of the skills that you would need to have to race on a real track. How to pass.
The OP said nothing about wanting to learn to pass anyone on a track, which would require gaining, which is expensive for some, a comp liscense. Autocross are his desires. You are the one that jumped off the trail here in this thread. If you are such an accomplished driver, you should have been making the same suggestions.

Speed is an illusion in the fact that if you are going 60 mph in a tight parking lot course; you can have the same thrill as going 130 mph and standing on your brakes at the end of a front stretch. Anyone in racing will tell you that, it is all about the feeling or illusion of speed.

Quick Reply: AutoX fox?