Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Exhaust Drone IS Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Drone IS Fixed

I'm spreading the word.

My Magnaflow cat-backs had the 2000 rpm drone and was driving me crazy. I read some info over in the Corral forums and decided to try it. IT WORKS!!!

The problem is the engines strongest tone at 2000 rpm causes the tail pipes to resonate (vibrate like a pipe organ). The fix is to install Side Branch Resonators on the tail pipes to cancel the tone.

Here's the link to the Corral forum, it's explained in good detail there with pics.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=496793

WATCH THE WORD WRAP!

....Jakes
Old 06-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Exhaust Drone IS Fixed

That's cool, you are the first person I've heard complain of drone from Magnaflows. Sounds like perhaps your tips weren't as snug as they needed to be...
Old 06-17-2004, 11:09 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

it sounds to me like the exhaust sound is fixed, ie in such a way that nearly cancels out the sound of a performance exhaust
Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

i dont see whats wrong with drone, i dont mind it at all. and why buy a performance exhaust and put a restriction in it?
Old 06-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

Come on guys, if you're going to respond , know what you're talking about. You should follow the link and read about what it is and how it works first.

DAN02GT---If I'm the first person to complain about a drone from Magnaflows what's the other guys problem over on the Corral site who went to all the trouble to research this solution and all those who responded to him over there. I had my tips tacked on so I hope that wasn't the problem.

YINYANGSTANG---A side branch resonator doesn't cancel out the sound of the exhaust. It only cancels the sound(frequency) that it's tuned for. In this case it is 130Hz which is the frequency at which the tail pipes resonate. All othe sounds (tones) are unaffected.

NOMOCOBRA---A side branch resonator is basically a length of exhaust pipe welded into the side of the tail pipe and closed on the other end. It can't cause any restriction.

This forum is for passing on info that can help other stang owners. If you don't have the 2000 rpm drone that many others of us seem to have, or genuinely enjoy that sound, then good for you, you don't need to read this. If on the other hand you too suffer from that annoying resonance everytime your engine passes through that 1800 - 2100 rpm range and want to get rid of it, here's one solution.

....Jakes
Old 06-18-2004, 05:18 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

yeah sure, thats not hp robbing is it
Old 06-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

NOMOCOBRA wrote:

yeah sure, thats not hp robbing is it

[/quote]

NOMOCOBRA - Give the guy a break. He even appologized for his amature weld job.

Each pipe (resonator) is only attached and open to one tail pipe (not inserted in it) and closed on the other end so there's no gas flow. I don't see how this would cause any restriction to exhaust flow.

Please help me out here, how would this rob HP?

....Jakes
Old 06-18-2004, 07:15 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

wow... here we have a nOOB calling all the guys here "inexperienced" [sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]
Old 06-18-2004, 07:17 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Exhaust gas will flow into that tube, you don't need to be a physicist to know that. I will obviosly be a restriction of some sort, although maybe a trivial one as I don't see it making a big difference. I can say that it may certainly hurt some of the gains you get from a free flowing exhaust. The way I feel about it - if you want drone free exhaust you should stick with the stockers. I do give credit for the idea, it is sound (no pun intended , but until theirs any conclusive proof that this doesn't restrict power (and I believe it will cancel most of the hp increase free flowing mufflers give) - I won't be convinced its a good idea.

The people who don't want loud exhaust don't change their mufflers. That's my $.02, you want the change?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

JDANIEL – OK, here we go, I don’t remember saying anything about anyone being “inexperienced” about anything. All I did was ask a question. I’m not trying to start any kind of pi**ing contest or “mines bigger than your’s” in here. All I’m saying is that I’ve read a lot about a bad drone at 2000 rpms with a number of cat-back systems. I found this fix. I installed it on my ’02 GT and can tell you with “experience” it works to eliminate the drone and do so with no change in SOTP performance.

Please understand, your message was received loud and clear, I absolutly will never read anyones post unless they have a minimum of 4 stars under their names. That way, you and I will both be assured of never having to deal with new ideas or different approaches to problems. And you can sleep well knowing your knowledge base will never be challenged

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone IS Fixed