Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Is there much difference between turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Thumper33
1st Gear Member

Default Is there much difference between turbo kits?

Topic: turbos for a 2007 Mustang GT

So I've been researching turbo kits for a week or two now, and of course everyone seems to love what they have. I'm not really interested in the STS, but there are several others out there that are all right around the $4500-$5500 mark. I don't see much of a difference between any of the kits. The kits I've found so far are...

------------------------------

hp - $4499 (supposed long wait) - http://www.turbochargedpower.com/05-06%20Mustang.htm

System features:
mild steel - jet hot coated inside and out
Garrett 60mm ceramic coated T3/T4
Tial 38mm wastegate
Intercooled
39 lb injectors standard
uses factory cat-back
Ford Focus Fuel Pump upgrade
comes with diablo tuner
Bosch BOV

hellion - $4995 plus shipping (available immediately) - http://hellionpowersystems.com/kit_05.php

System features:
All stainless steel construction standard
Turbonetics 62mm turbo standard (Capable of supporting up to 600 hp to the tires, 1 year no fault/no hassle warranty)
Turbonetics Evolution wastegate
High flow durable bar and plate intercooler
39 lb injectors standard
Optional retention of factory catalytic converters (CARB EO Approval Pending)

powerhouse - $5495 (available immediately) - http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=50

System features:
Precision Turbo PT67 turbo
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Stainless Steel Pipes
39 PPH fuel injectors
Fuel pump voltage booster (optional in tank dual fuel pump kit)
High Efficiency Vertical Flow air to air intercooler

granatelli - $6295 (available immediately) - http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...tang/turbo.htm

System features:
76mm Turbonetics turbo
Stainless steel from exhaust to turbo
Aluminized from turbo to intake
twin 221 Spearco intercooler cores
Tial waste gate
high flow twin CAT exhaust system (includes new CATS)

STS - ? - http://www.ststurbo.com/2005__mustang_single

I couldn't get their website to work at the time I was putting this together. I'll add this info later just to be complete.

-----------------------------

Best I can tell, those are the big companies out there. Please feel free to add another if it's worth considering. I think I'm actually going to build a FAQ on the subject of choosing a turbo kit. There must be some minor differences that I'm not seeing here. I'll put all the info together if you can help me find what I've missed.

So from what I'm seeing, all these kits are VERY simillar. There is of course quality that can make a large difference in pipe fitting but there's no way for me to quantify that w/o first hand installation experiences. I'd like to hear from people who actually installed these themselves.

I think most people are going to want to do a custom dyno tune on their car anyway right? So what's the point of getting a tuner?

looking at these kits... the hp is the only one that does something about the fuel pump other than the powerhouse which only adds a voltage booster. The down side to this kit is that they use jet hot instead of stainless steel. I'm not sure if this is really a downside or not, but if you scratch the coating, it can rust. the jet hot might flow better, but I don't know on that either. The hp looks like a clear bargain if you can wait for it. I guess that's why people seem to want to wait. If you can't wait, then the Hellion is the next cheapest. There are some turbo size differences. The smaller turbos should spool slightly quicker, although offer a little lest boost if you're eventually going to go crazy with it. Ironically, the prices are also reflecting cheapest has the smallest turbo, and the most expensive has the largest. The difference is only 16mm to the largest one, so I don't know if that'll be an appreciable difference.

-------------------------------

So after having said all this which is mostly learning on my own and speculation...

Does the stainless vs. Jet hot make any difference?

Is there anything else I'm missing in this comparison?

Help me put together more info on how to choose the right kit for you. Obviously each one will have a right consumer or they wouldn't all be around. what else is the difference?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Is there much difference between turbo kits?

Plan on spending at least $7,000.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Thumper33
1st Gear Member

on what? All I can see is a custom tune, but then what? Most of these kits say you can install them yourself, so I'm not factoring anything for install. What else are we missing?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 AM
ruffrider4403
1st Gear Member

twin turbo or a big a$$ supercharger or it's not worth it
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Thumper33
1st Gear Member

wow, I put a lot of effort into my post here, and the only two replies I've gotten are CRAP.

The first reply.. "Plan on spending at least $7,000." ... wow, that's a great reply. Maybe your keyboard stopped working and then the power went out and you just can't get back online now to finish your thought. How do you get online and bother to reply to something and only get out enough to say you'll need more than just the things you've thought about, but not even give a hint as to what else I'll need.

The second reply " twin turbo or a big a$$ supercharger or it's not worth it"... So at my altitude I'm getting about 193 hp to the wheels. With the least boosting supercharger I know of which is the saleen at 4 lbs, I'm supposed to get around 380 to the wheels. That's about twice the power. Most single turbo kits are capable of putting about 600 hp down, so isn't trippling the stock power output enough to justify the money? I guess you found a better way for half the price, but you're not going to tell me either. What's with the single sentense replies?

okay, I feel better. I just always wonder why people bother to reply with crap answers like that. I feel like you might as well have said "use the search".

I'm out...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Pretty much the main differences is that there are differently sized turbo's which means you may have the "step up" capability with the kits with the larger turbos. They may have the wastegate dialed at 6PSI but the turbo could do 12-14.

Each company uses a different turbo manufacturer, just remember when it comes time to rebuild you will want to have replacement parts easily available, having your car be down for two weeks waiting for bearings to come is no good.

What do the dyno graphs look like, how hard is the installation?

In reality a turbo system is not that complicated. Things that make it complicated are amount of boost to run, reusing stock parts, etc. Maybe look over the install guides from each vendor, if one says "Chop this, weld that, sawzall there..." you get the idea.

Are the kits very similar, bottom line, yes they are. Who's tuning it, do you have a shop in mind, maybe get their recommendation, I don't see tuning listed for any of the kits.

Lastly, intercooled or not intercooled. I would suggest running an intercooled kit right off the bat as the advantages to intercooling are significant, I'm sure if your at this point you've already searched so I wont regurgitate what others have already said on this subject.

Good luck, sorry about the not-helpful posts, it pisses me off too when people do that.

E.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Thumper33
1st Gear Member

Thanks man... I appreciate it.

I know I'm definitely going to get an intercooled kit, and I only want to run about 8 psi. It seems this is about where you hit 450 whp, and I don't have the cash to get a forged internal setup. I like your idea of looking through the install manuals. I'll see if I can get those all together and add them to the first post.

Also, I'll talk to the shop that will be doing the tune and see what they have to say.

Question: Do you think the jet-hot that hp does it actually an upgrade, or is full stainless tubes better?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:48 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Jet hot will just keep the high exhaust temps inside the pipes better so then won't put off as much heat outside.

Each of the kits have different designs, not just the turbochargers. You want the most efficient setup you can get & you want good sized turbochargers for your engine size. Unfortunetly most of the companies don't give too many pictures on them which makes it hard to tell.

From the pictures & the information givin pipeline has my vote.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 PM
90WTGT

Ive been reading posts everyday for about a month and a half now. The only company that I cant find a single piece of negative info on is Hellion. HP, B and G, Ponydown all sound real good too but have some wait time. Ive pmd a few guys about hellion kits and they all went on with no problems. They are a little more expensive, but I think thats mainly for the Stainless and engineering. You also get to keep your smog pump if you need it. #@$%^# California!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Thumper33

wow, I put a lot of effort into my post here, and the only two replies I've gotten are CRAP.

The first reply.. "Plan on spending at least $7,000." ... wow, that's a great reply. Maybe your keyboard stopped working and then the power went out and you just can't get back online now to finish your thought. How do you get online and bother to reply to something and only get out enough to say you'll need more than just the things you've thought about, but not even give a hint as to what else I'll need.

The second reply " twin turbo or a big a$$ supercharger or it's not worth it"... So at my altitude I'm getting about 193 hp to the wheels. With the least boosting supercharger I know of which is the saleen at 4 lbs, I'm supposed to get around 380 to the wheels. That's about twice the power. Most single turbo kits are capable of putting about 600 hp down, so isn't trippling the stock power output enough to justify the money? I guess you found a better way for half the price, but you're not going to tell me either. What's with the single sentense replies?

okay, I feel better. I just always wonder why people bother to reply with crap answers like that. I feel like you might as well have said "use the search".

I'm out...
The reason your not getting anything but these "crap" responses is because nobody on this boaard has a turbo on their mustang. And before I even opened up your post I could tell your a noob. So rather than be a bitch to people that are giving you advice, wether you want to hear it or not, take it with a grain of salt.

And if you think yoru getting out with paying less than $7,000, your sorely mistaken. And the other "crap" post was good advice too. But I guess you'd rather figure it out for yourself. GL

Quick Reply: Is there much difference between turbo kits?