Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Ok, My KenneBell Supercharger is on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 02:50 AM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok, My KenneBell Supercharger is on the way...

Congrats on the purchase
Old 07-24-2004, 04:53 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

the tranny and rear end will do you fine, as long as you arent running slicks and dumping the clutch at 6k. the motor will prob go before either of those
Old 07-24-2004, 06:21 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to do the install with the help of my T/A bud. I just checked Fedex and they say it will be delivered Thursday the 29th. Thursday is perfect because that gives me a day to look over the install instructions, inventory all the parts, and get ready for a long Friday night. I need to drive it to work Monday morning. I'll probably have the 7lb pulley on for a while...

BTW Js281GT he flipped you the bird (double birdies actually...) and then laughed (all in fun...) His T/A is modded and runs pretty strong. Unless I could outdrive him he would take me right now.

Jim Bell says their tune will run great with my stock motor so, no I'm not getting dyno tuned. If I can get up the cash I'll probably have it dyno'ed after the install and have them hook up the wideband O2 sensor. www.thunderracing.com Then I'll up the boost and double-check the A/F ratio and see how much I put to the ground... Three pulleys... Three dyno pulls...

Next on my list is Steeda suspension bushings and G-Trac stage 1.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:56 AM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

What size injectors come with those KB kits? Do they use an FMU or bigger pump. Those KBs are great because they're self contained... no tapping oil lines.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:05 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

Well my 2000 (thought it was an 01) Ram Air T/A buddy and I finally raced (twice).

He has a "lid" (cold air intake type mod), polished stock throttle body, Magnaflow cat-back, Pro 5.0 shifter, and lowering springs with aftermarket shocks and urethane suspension bushings all around.

I have a cold air intake, Magnaflows, and Steeda Tri-Axe.

I got my *** SERIOUSLY handed to me BOTH times by a few car-lengths. The first time was from ~35 mph roll. The second time was from a dead stop. The race from a dead stop he rev'ed a little high and spun a lot (I was kinda expecting this) and I didn't rev high enough and let out a little fast on the clutch so I bogged a little. But there was nooo way on the planet I would have ever caught up.

I'm not the best driver in the world (or even on this board, I'm sure) but I "drove it like I stole it". After the first race he asked if I hit the rev limiter I was running so hard.

We'll install the blower this weekend. I'm sure traction will be in short supply but we'll race again afterwards and I'll post the results...

There's like three threads this could be posted under... [8D]
Old 07-29-2004, 12:15 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I didn't see your post before now. The kit comes with:

MAJOR KENNE BELL KIT COMPONENTS
Billet Twin Screw 1700 Supercharger
Hi-Flo Inlet Manifolds
Billet Bypass Valve Assembly
Bar and Plate Intercooler ("Intercooled" kit only)
HD Heat Exchanger ("Intercooled" kit only)
Intercooler Pump ("Intercooled" kit only)
Water Fill Reservoir ("Intercooled" kit only)
Re-calibrated Mono Chip (SWITCH CHIP® $99 extra)
36lb Injectors
BOOST-A-PUMPâ„¢
Fuel Rails ('00 up)
160° Calibrated Thermostat

The boost-a-pump just increases the voltage to the stock fuel to increase the flow, but only under boost. This eliminates the need to a FMU.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 PM
EJ23
1st Gear Member

Get that bad boy on yet?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

You should certianly be able to keep up with him on that kit. Is that Boost-A-Pump a kind you put right on the tank itself?
Old 08-03-2004, 04:01 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

OMG yes. It's was a HELLA lot of work. While my buddy has a nice garage he needs to get an air conditioner for it. [:-] Louisiana heat really is no joke.

It has lots of different systems to install. The s/c itself, the boost-a-pump, the chip, the intercooler and all the wiring and hoses. We had a few minor snags. Some slightly "buggered" up threads on the first couple threads of the coolant temperature sensor bung was probably the most serious because the manifold-S/C assembly was already torqued down. Some NeverSeize and gentle turning by a neighbor (a deisel mechanic) got it in there.

We started friday after work and didn't stop until 2am. Saturday morning we went to get a few parts and have breakfast. We started working on it again around 10:30 and didn't stop until somewhere around 2am again. Sunday at 2am we only had guage mounting, and engine and intercooler coolant, remaining when we finally crashed. Sunday we got started working around 8am. We setup the boost and fuel pressure guages and filled the coolant systems. Doing the system checks we discovered the intercooler pump wasn't coming on at all. We figured out it was one wire connected to the wrong side of the "radio noise suppresser". With that fixed, we performed the prefilght checks. Everything checked out so we turned it over and it fired right up and idled. It idled a little rough the first few moments but it smoothed out on it's own. We killed it, did a visual, and then fired it up with the heater on to let it warm up. After things got hot, we killed it and checked for any leaks. We tightened a couple hose clamps on the back of the manifold and hopped in to take a ride. I needed some gas so we drove it slowly to fill up on premium. Sunday I only ran the 7lb pully. The car definaltey pulled a lot harder. Monday I ran the 8lb and the performance was (to me) amazing. Nothing like being pressed into the seat like that. Monday night I made some more adjustments and put on the 9lb pully. I took her for a ride and it was wild! Trying to keep the tires on the ground was interesting. I can't wait until the morning when the air is cool!

I don't recommend or condone this. I live 30 minutes outside the city, in the country, and we have a couple nice, flat, straight roads with soybean fields on each side that I went down Sunday with the 8lb pully installed. It brought up 140 really fast and would have hit 150 soon if my kohauna's were just a little bigger. I always worry about a tire blowing or something at those speeds...

I tried like hell to post some interesting pics of the install, and the results, but for some reason the board won't let me. I'll try again tomorrow....
Old 08-03-2004, 05:03 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

No the boost a pump is a 4 wire module that mounts in the trunk. It gets wired into the rollover switch (2 wires), another wire for chassis ground, and one long wire I ran from the trunk to the engine compartment, boost switch. It just sends a little extra voltage to the stock fuel pump. The stock pump is rated up to 17.5 volts which KB says the boost a pump doesn't exceed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1259/7C511AF3DB874295A5E061AD8997E455.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Ok, My KenneBell Supercharger is on the way...