Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:46 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

Default Question

I'll show my newbieishness (suuure it's a word, it's on the internet right?)

What does detonation sound like? I haven't noticed any abnormalities in the way my engine runs (except the redline smacking me in the ***) (which is my own fault).

When I continue the quest for more power (eg. more boost) I need to know what to listen for... [:-]
Old 08-20-2004, 08:22 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question

It's kind of hard to describe. Some say it sounds like marbles in a tin can being thrashed around, others say differnt.

But I don't think you would have any problems identifying it if you heard it. The thing that worries me the most is the slight pinging some say you can't hear. Thats why I believe that you should dyno your car as soon as you can to check A/F ratios across the board.

I plan on swapping my pulley in a couple of months, but am waiting until I can have it dyno tuned. Better safe than sorry.

Todd
Old 08-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

What does detonation sound like? I haven't noticed any abnormalities in the way my engine runs (except the redline smacking me in the ***) (which is my own fault).
You gotta go to a dyno and make sure your a/f ratio isn't too high. Gosh, if I was you, I'd be SUPER careful right now. You might consider purchasing a digital wideband a/f gage. That would give you exact air/fuel ratio #'s. I highly recommend it. -A cheap insurance policy for your gt. If it ever gets too lean, you'll see it in the readout, instantly. As far as pinging goes, the best way to hear it is with your windows up and the radio off (of course). What does it sound like? To me, it sounds like a patterned series of dull, twinking type sounds. It would be repetitive. If you hear it, you should know. If you hear something you think sound like it might be pinging, back off the throttle and put some octane booster in, let it mix, and try it agian. that might be a quick way to tell for sure, but you REALLY need to go to a dyno. You have an investment in that gt, especially now with the KB. Don't throw away your investment.
_________
02 S281E
Old 08-20-2004, 02:57 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

yeah, its pretty dangerous to run a new setu like that with out the proper tune. I wouldnt have done it till I had the money for the install and tune all together. If you do blow the engine... can I buy the S/C if its still working? LOL J/K
Old 08-22-2004, 06:04 AM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

I'll trade it for a DSS shortblock if my bottom end goes... But thanks though... KB says that's exactly the wrong thing to do. But what do they know...

I haven't experienced anything unusual other than the lower than expected boost pressure at lower RPM's with the 9lb pully. But I took the silencer off today and it was a lot faster (duh... ) But I wanted to try it like that. With the silencer on it hits 9psi at around 4000rpm. Without silencer around 2900rpm. I bet with no restriction it will actually hit 9psi at 2,000 as advertised. But I don't have the Franklins to get T/B and MAF just yet...

I'm going to put the 8lb pulley back on and change the oil in the s/c tomorrow... Gotta drive that baby to work.

Tonight I took it out in the country 11pm. I made a real good run (dead stop). I think it would have been in the 12's but it's hard to judge. The road was nice and clean from all the rain and it had plenty of time to dry this evening. Humidity was fair (for LA...) I had filled up at Racetrack and put in a can of STP octane boost. I reved to about 3,000 and feathered the clutch. First gear didn't spin, but the front end stood tall all the way to 5500. I cleanly barked both tires in second but they bit and didn't spin out. Third gear, then fourth and I think I would definately approach 120 at 1/4 mile...

I'll go to the track soon so I won't have to guess then... Just hope I can hookup again...

I just wondered what detonation sounded like... My stuff is running great...
Old 08-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The best thing you can do is get a tune. I would never drive a SC car until it's tuned.

I think you read something wrong if you believe KB suggested against a dyno tune.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:43 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

The best thing you can do is get a tune. I would never drive a SC car until it's tuned.

I think you read something wrong if you believe KB suggested against a dyno tune.

He's right Dan. When I talked to KB, they told me that I didn't need a tune for their application. They said that their chip was sufficient for the application.

But I'm like you, I was planning a custom tune anyways.

Todd
Old 08-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Here is the problem with that, every car operates differently, this is why pre-tuned chips just don't cut the cheese.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:54 PM
MineralGreyGT02
2nd Gear Member

Don't get me wrong. I would love to get a really good tune. Matter of fact I know exactly where I would like to get it tuned at... But I blew my wad on the S/C so I gotta start pinching the Franklins until I get enough to do my next thing. Maybe a tune, maybe 17x9 chrome bullitts with Nitto 555's.

When I first cranked it after installing the kit I had the 6psi pulley on it. I drove it like that for a couple of days (at least) before putting on the 8psi. No problems with the 8, so I installed the 9psi, and I've had no problems whatsoever. I'm pretty sure if you get tuned, without talking to KB first, you could void your warranty on the S/C.

I know KB sells "tuner kits" without their chips but I don't know the ins-and-outs of dealing with it/them. I would love to go with the Lightning MAF, 75mm TB, the KB "big tube" kit, and the Snow water/methanol injection kit and take it to IWantPerformance and get it all setup. I could prolly make around 500hp safely with the stock GT motor.

But I want a looootta stuff... Anyone want to buy two kids...? And a wife...? [sm=innoc.gif]
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

The KB "tuner" kits basically come with just the S.C. Then it is up to the shop doing the work to size the injectors,MAM, and tune the car.

I think a lot of the bigger shops use this method as most still don't believein KB's "Boost a Pump". They will end up switching the fuel pump out for something different.

Do you still have the stock MAM on your car? I believe that I read somewhere that it pegs at about 400 HP. Most guys that tune the car will suggest that you change that first. If that is the route you go, I would let them suggest a MAM as most tuners are familiar with or like to tune with a certain brand.

I don't know your car, but I would just keep any eye/ear on it. The first moment that you think something is not right, I would put the 6PSI pulley back on until you can get tuned.

I would talk with KB about the warranty issue. Any problems that you may encounter with a different tune(highly doubtful if you get someone that is reccomended), will probably be in the motor anyways.

Just my two cents..[sm=smiley1.gif]

Todd

Quick Reply: Question