Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Turbos, hard to maintain / hard on the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 PM
94GTNick
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Turbos, hard to maintain / hard on the engine?

I think turbos are quite a bit harder on an engine. I myself, have had a turbocharged passat. That car put out some amazing hp for a 1.8L 4 banger. But i have seen what heat does to a turbo. I personally have seen the turbo glowing bright orange after i drove it. And i also have toasted a turbo before. you push it alittle too hard and your gonna break it really fast. there is no denying the power of a turbo, it's just that they are not maintenance free.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

the heat from a turbo is easily managed with oil coolers. an oil cooler before the turbo itself will keep heat down. superchargers put alot of stress on the crankshaft but are less complicated to install and tune.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matthockey32

the heat from a turbo is easily managed with oil coolers. an oil cooler before the turbo itself will keep heat down. superchargers put alot of stress on the crankshaft but are less complicated to install and tune.
And cheaper...
And the Twin screws INSTANTANEOUS BOOST!

Sooooooooooooooooo want me a Twin Screw Blower
Old 10-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Turbocharged

The issue of turbos vs superchargers is a bag of worms that is kinda like Bush vs Kerry, everyone has an opinion and its really difficult to convince people who support one type of technology (or political candidate) to switch horses. All we try to do is present the facts as we know them and let people draw their own conclusions.

As far as the issue of heat is concerned, have you ever opened the hood on a car with stock exhaust manifolds and looked at them after a hard run? You will find that they glow, too. Why? Because all engines produce hot exhaust gases. Contrary to rumor, turbos don't really "make" any more heat than a supercharger does (on the compressor side). Both of them compress air, and no matter how you do it, when you compress air, it heats up. That's why intercoolers are important....to take most of that heat out of the compressed air before it enters your intake. However, the "hot" part of a turbo system that you refer to is the turbine housing, which gets hot because of the exhaust gases passing through it, but it is built to handle that kind of heat. As long as you use your head and let your car cool down a little after running it hard, you won't have a problem. If "radiated heat" is a problem, then either turbo blankets of heat insulating material or thermal insulating ceramic coating can minimize this problem.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Yeah, but I'm not so Thick Headed...
I'd LOVE! to own a TT Setup for my stang
But seeing as how that would cost WAYYYYYYYYY too much
I've decided a Supercharger would be the better route
And Twin Screw would be the better design
Don't want a Single turbo, don't want a Y pipe...
And Twin Turbo would act just like the Twin Screw
No lag at all...
Yummy gobs of power at less PSI
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Turbocharged

At first glance, turbo systems may appear to cost more. However, if you consider everything that is included in a complete turbo kit that must be purchased with a supercharger kit in order for the supercharger kit to be comparable (not even considering the performance differences), you may find the turbo system is less expensive and a much better horsepower per dollar value. Take a look at the following example:

Old 10-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Shaggy
2nd Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif] plus like obsol3te said twin turbos on a high displacement engine also create instantaneous boost like a supercharger. boost lag is more for large turbos and small displacement hondas and stuff that dont put out alot of exhaust. our gas guzzling ozone depleting v8s can spin those turbos
Old 10-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbocharged

At first glance, turbo systems may appear to cost more. However, if you consider everything that is included in a complete turbo kit that must be purchased with a supercharger kit in order for the supercharger kit to be comparable (not even considering the performance differences), you may find the turbo system is less expensive and a much better horsepower per dollar value. Take a look at the following example:

Where did you get those numbers for the cost of a Twin Screw?
Kenne Bell states they sell a FULL kit for the max of 3900 for the Flowzilla from 8-20 or 8-25psi(cant remember exactly)
You don't need half those things you've stated in the S/C setup either...
And most people end up doing most of that crap anyways for Beginner Basic mods
(exhaust, headers, chip)

You don't need additional pullies, but if you want different boost settings you may.
You dont need the pully remover tool if you dont plan on switching pullies either

And where did you get your pricing for the Blowzilla for 6,900?!

Ouf...
Old 10-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Shaggy
2nd Gear Member

check out the price list on their web site the 1.7L is sold as a complete kit, but the 2.2L blowzilla is 6900 and needs extra stuff. alittle expensive if you ask me
Old 10-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Youre right. They arent maintenance free, cost quite a bit overall, and usually require some automotive know how. Which is why many favor direct install supercharger kits. I'd get TTs any day if i knew how to maintain and if i could afford them, but for now, ill stay realistic with something like a direct fit Kenne Bell.

Quick Reply: Turbos, hard to maintain / hard on the engine?