Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Few ?'s on exhaust, and nitrous.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:21 AM
MustangNuB

Default Few ?'s on exhaust, and nitrous.

First off, I am new to mustangs, hence my name!
I am just curious what the difference is between an H-pipe and X-pipe. I know the shapes/designs are different, but is there a difference in power gains and sounds??

Also, I am curious what mid-pipe and cat back combo(s) would net me the most H.P and best low tone growl for a 99' GT 5-spd.

I know this isn't an exhaust ?, but what C.A.I is the best? Like biggest H.P Gains? etc.

Now for Nitrous, I in the process of buying a 99' GT 5-sp. I am going to do the exhaust first, (except the headers) and an air intake. I am just curious whats the biggest shot of N2O a stock 4.6L could handle?? And whats the biggest shot the engine could handle before needing spark timing adjustments?? I'm thinking either a regular wet kit, or a D.P kit?!?!

Thanks for any/all help, I know I'm new (only to mustangs and V8's), but have patience I am a very quick learner and a good mechanic!! Thanks again !!
Old 10-06-2004, 02:26 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Few ?'s on exhaust, and nitrous.

h-pipes are usually deeper and a better sound (in most people's opinion), but the x usually performs better.

Best "low tone growl" and performance would probably be a Mac Prochamber with Magnaflow exhaust

Densecharger and K&N are pretty much understood around here to be the best performing CAI's, hp gains claimed range from 3-9 hp

You can run up to a 100 shot with the stock timing and premium fuel, probably 125 is about the most you can "safely" go without worrying about rod / piston / or clutch failure.

Welcome to the boards and Im sure a few others will chime in with their opinions soon.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Just to add my 2 cents, I was always told that your mid pipe is important in what kind of sound you want to make, but its the muffler that really counts. Ive personally heard a mustang with bassani and flows, and it sounds a lot like flows with an h pipe.

You want the best setup, which is not street legal, but will get you the most power? Go with a catless x pipe and magnapack mufflers.
You want the deepest growl but not exactly as much power, get an h pipe with magnaflows or better yet flowmasters.

Densecharger has been dyno proven as the best, but its not by much.

If you are new to nitrous on a mustang, i wouldnt stray above a 75 shot.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:34 AM
MustangNuB

I read in the new 5.0 mustang magazine when they installed SLP's loud mouth full exhaust on an 02' GT (I think), that it went lean up to about 4600 rpms after the install?? whats that all about??

Also, since i am new to V8's when a web site says the exhaust is a kit or Cat back, is that starting after the H or X pipe, back? Including the muffler or resonators themselves then the tips??

If so I should look for a good H-Pipe, then a good cat back im assuming??

Also, about how much H.P & TQ do yall think a 99' GT 5-spd puts down??

Thanks again for the help!!
Old 10-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Oh yeah and if you dont have forged internals (pistons, rods, valves) and you decide to do a direct port nitrous injection system, you can kiss your engine goodbye...
Old 10-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Dunno anything about SLP exhaust, but im sure someone here does.

A cat back system is the portion of the exhaust behind the catalytic converters. Basically its the mufflers and tips.

A mid pipe (X or H) usually compliments a cat back well. I have an MRT H pipe with 2 chamber flowmaster mufflers. It sounds really good IMO. Deep and agressive.

99+ GTs make 260 hp and 302 lbs torque from the engine, but only about 230 hp gets to the wheels. Im assuming the torque is bit higher, but not exactly sure.

For any more exhaust sound questions, a favorite website of mine is mustangexhaust.com

Good luck to you
Old 10-06-2004, 02:50 AM
MustangNuB

I was listening to some of the exhausts on that Exhaust web site, and most of the stangs with MAC Off-Road Pro-Chamber and flow master mufflers, seem to have a high pitched, crackling/popping noise to them!?!? But the stangs with MAC O/R pro chamber and magnaflows dont seem to have the crackling?!?!?! Am I hearing right or is it just my ears going crazy?? LOL

Which Series FlowMasters would yall recommend??
Same Question to the magnaflows? whats the diff in the flows and the packs??

And about how much of a H.P gain would I see from the MAC O/R Pro Chamber and either FlowMasters or Magnaflows?

Thanks again, I'm Almost done with the ?'s !! LOL
Old 10-06-2004, 03:56 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

lotta online sound files are very distorted
Old 10-06-2004, 10:20 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

yah ide have to agree with u on that one. hey mustangnub im selling my zex kit to get some money for some new engine plans this winter if u or anyone else are intersted send me an email, im also selling a bunch of other stuff to go along with it. traildevil1054s@aol.com
Old 10-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MustangNuB

I was listening to some of the exhausts on that Exhaust web site, and most of the stangs with MAC Off-Road Pro-Chamber and flow master mufflers, seem to have a high pitched, crackling/popping noise to them!?!? But the stangs with MAC O/R pro chamber and magnaflows dont seem to have the crackling?!?!?! Am I hearing right or is it just my ears going crazy?? LOL

Which Series FlowMasters would yall recommend??
Same Question to the magnaflows? whats the diff in the flows and the packs??

And about how much of a H.P gain would I see from the MAC O/R Pro Chamber and either FlowMasters or Magnaflows?

Thanks again, I'm Almost done with the ?'s !! LOL
That's the crappy baffles in the Flowmaster mufflers making all that noise and it's the crappy quality clips too.

Quick Reply: Few ?'s on exhaust, and nitrous.