Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!
View Poll Results: A poll
KB Blower
60.00%
Paxton
1.54%
Vortech
20.00%
PowerDyne
0%
Pro-Charger
18.46%
BBK
0%
Eaton S/C
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

KB vs. Other S/C's...POLE!PICK your FAV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:24 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: KB vs. Other S/C's...POLE!PICK your FAV.

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Do what? Turbos are nothing more than 2 fans hooked together. The reason that you have a turbo lag is because you have to wait for the exaust to get flowing enough to spin the turbo and develop boost. Heat has absolutly nothing to do with it (other than you want it as cool as possilble going in, so you get the most compressed air possible)

Turbo lag is a thing of the past in most moderate sized turbos of today. Sure ifyou have a 1000 RWHP supra with a turbo about 2 foot wide then it will lag, but most midlevel applications have very little lag.

A Deisel is a competely different story. It isnt set up to make horsepower, but torque. And they flow so much air you wouldnt beileve it. Pistons that are bigger around than your head flow alot of air, even down low in the RPM band.
yeah........deisel engines are all stroke. the average deisel has a 3.0 inch wide piston and a big-*** stroke. let me ask myself again what i build for a living. oh yeah, deisel engines. don't try to tell me something that is wrong that i constantly have to go to school for. ever see a v24 engine? ever stand inside a cylinder bore with your arms raised up holding onto the edge to see if you can? exhaust heat causes turbos to spool not pressure, read a researched book about it not some ricer pamphlet. i have a school textbook that is 450 pages all about turbos and the exact science on how they work. exhaust pressure helps keep the turbo spooled up but what really makes boost is the heat.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:11 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I have never understood this arguement. I cannot see any advantage to making so much power down low, but not as much up top. How long do you stay below 3500-4000 RPMs in a race? 1/2 a second???
That statement lets me know that you have never driven or ridden in a screw car. Think of it this way: A screw car makes steady hp all the time. It's not all low and no high, its steady all the time. The hp curve may as well be flat from 2500-5500 rmps. You are underestimating what a screw car is capable of on top. The reason why you are underestimating the top end on a screw car is because you haven't driven one. You can stare at the twin screw power curve on paper all ya like, but til you drive one you won't understand.
The only reason the truly "Big" classes use screw blowers is because you need to develop as much power as you can ALL of the time.
That really isn't true. Several factors exist here, such as fuel, clutches and timers. I would ideally not like to make full power until the clutch locks up, hence the clutch is applying the power in incraments. You really can't compare street application screw set-ups with 4 second fuel cars. I think its pretty safe to say that I know far more than you do about this. Anything else you wanna teach me about "big" class cars?
If you ever take notice, I have never seen a screw type blower in the true street etc mustang classes. Anything from about 8 seconds and up is running either a turbo or centrifugal (or nitrous).
The reason no one runs a screw setup for the faster NMRA classes is because its against the rules. Do really think that guys would be running prochargers when they could be running 6-71 blowers? The whole concept of those classes was to be able to advertise street products modified(and often unmodified) at the strip. Trust me, if they could run big screw or roots setups, they would.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Once again, I reiterate my point. I'll put my view in a very simple way...

why would someone want to use a poweradder on their mustang? answer: faster acceleration. why settle for anything less than the best acceleration possible?

If you take the powerband EVERYONE uses when racing, be it at the strip or the street... where do they shift? At or near redline, whatever powerband makes the most power.

Now, if you take the power a centrifugal makes in its best powerband - say from 4600rpm - 6000rpm and compare that to the Kenne Bell in its best powerband, its a no contest slaughter in favor of the centrifugal. The centrifugal will make more average power and more peak power hands down, no contest and Birdie you cannot deny that. Now, add to the fact that its also significantly cheaper than a Kenne Bell - you have yourself a winner.

In my opinion, those that go with a twin screw are not looking for maximum performance, no doubt its a fun ride - but why spend more money to go slower?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ehh... this topic is a bit heated.... My favorite SC is the one in my car.... cause it's in my car.... and helps MY car go faster. As far as a 99 Cobra is concerned...

Well, it's up to you but honestly i think you should get some FR500 heads and FR500 intake. Sean hyland motorsports has a good sale on them (750 a head and 2k for the intake). That should bring your 4.6L engine up over 400 hp N/A which just ranks higher on the cool factor.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
50FastFord
2nd Gear Member

I think I might go turbo just to changet hings up on the cobra, "Hey that thing Supercharged?", "No its a Turbo", ya know? I could change cams later on downt he orad I'm looking to do soemthing within these next months so I need info and to research so I need all the help I can get. But preciate the indfo guys let me know what I should do(suggestions), but no twin turb are twin screw, not paying that much...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

why would someone want to use a poweradder on their mustang? answer: faster acceleration. why settle for anything less than the best acceleration possible?

If you take the powerband EVERYONE uses when racing, be it at the strip or the street... where do they shift? At or near redline, whatever powerband makes the most power.

Now, if you take the power a centrifugal makes in its best powerband - say from 4600rpm - 6000rpm and compare that to the Kenne Bell in its best powerband, its a no contest slaughter in favor of the centrifugal. The centrifugal will make more average power and more peak power hands down, no contest and Birdie you cannot deny that. Now, add to the fact that its also significantly cheaper than a Kenne Bell - you have yourself a winner.

In my opinion, those that go with a twin screw are not looking for maximum performance, no doubt its a fun ride - but why spend more money to go slower?
When talking about peak power, your argument works. As far as average power, a screw car from 4600-6000 probably makes more AVERAGE power, plus the powerband you describe wouldn't be a accurate for a car with stock cams. From, say, 4000-5500 is more realistic. -And I'll bet you your mustang vs mine that a twin screw averages more power between these ranges. Another thing that isn't being accounted for here is gearing. With really short gears, it helps the centrifugal a lot. -And that 4500 rpms after each shift will be lower with, say, 3.55's. -Which favors a screw. That was my whole point a few posts ago. The scenario you describe, using a centrifugal, works its best with aftermarket cams and really short gears. If you change any part of that equasion it favors using a screw. I have probably said it a hundred times, and I'll say it again. Until you've driven or ridden in a properly set up screw car, you won't fully understand. If you drive your car on the street, most of the time you'll be under 4500 rpms unless you are full-out racing someone. And when your are under 4500 rpms, you'll appreciate having a twin screw blower. My whole point a few posts ago was that with stock cams, it doesn't make sense to do tt's. It makes more sense to do a centrifugal with stock cams than tt's, but it makes the most sense to do a screw with stock cams. MD, do you have trouble believing that my stock S281E was faster than my procharged 01, making less hp and with taller gears? MD, I consider you a good driver, and I assume you have nearly maxed out the times on your gt at the strip. How can you explain it when a stock S281E with 3.08 gears and around 400 rwhp can go 11.70's in the 1/4 with tires? With drag suspension, short gears, and all that top end power a centrifugal makes, with the same rwhp as a screw car, the centrifugal car should run faster, right?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:25 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

all i really care about is that i am slapping an eaton M112 on my car. that is an 03-04 cobra blower. i can get adapter plates from thomas knight turbos for $500. everything else i can get from tom dugan
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

When talking about peak power, your argument works. As far as average power, a screw car from 4600-6000 probably makes more AVERAGE power, plus the powerband you describe wouldn't be a accurate for a car with stock cams. From, say, 4000-5500 is more realistic. -And I'll bet you your mustang vs mine that a twin screw averages more power between these ranges. Another thing that isn't being accounted for here is gearing. With really short gears, it helps the centrifugal a lot. -And that 4500 rpms after each shift will be lower with, say, 3.55's. -Which favors a screw. That was my whole point a few posts ago. The scenario you describe, using a centrifugal, works its best with aftermarket cams and really short gears. If you change any part of that equasion it favors using a screw. I have probably said it a hundred times, and I'll say it again. Until you've driven or ridden in a properly set up screw car, you won't fully understand. If you drive your car on the street, most of the time you'll be under 4500 rpms unless you are full-out racing someone. And when your are under 4500 rpms, you'll appreciate having a twin screw blower. My whole point a few posts ago was that with stock cams, it doesn't make sense to do tt's. It makes more sense to do a centrifugal with stock cams than tt's, but it makes the most sense to do a screw with stock cams. MD, do you have trouble believing that my stock S281E was faster than my procharged 01, making less hp and with taller gears? MD, I consider you a good driver, and I assume you have nearly maxed out the times on your gt at the strip. How can you explain it when a stock S281E with 3.08 gears and around 400 rwhp can go 11.70's in the 1/4 with tires? With drag suspension, short gears, and all that top end power a centrifugal makes, with the same rwhp as a screw car, the centrifugal car should run faster, right?
... I love you...
Screw blowers are the way to go.

And I noticed you suggest 3.55 gearing for the Twin Screw?
Damn, really gotta toss these 4.10's. And good thing I didn't make the switch to 3.73's
Going to be running around 15psi on the KB Flowzilla, on my 331 Stroker(8.5:1 comp, AFR 185's, 100 shot of n2o)
Any rear end/tranny suggestions?
Starting to think the 8.8" may not be A-ok with 31 splines...
But if I can I do want the Vspec T56
If not then a TKO500/600
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 AM
50FastFord
2nd Gear Member

So If I dont go turbo, im leaning for a vortech are procharger, but as of right now im still trying to figure if a single turbo can get me as much power, I just think having a turbo would be nice... Price is not going past 4,000 for the kit, so eaither im going with a vortech are a pro charger, but if there is a nice kit for a single turbo that will boost me over 400rwhp to my 99 cobra for around 4k are less im going to get it... Would it hold up the my stock internals on my 4v motor?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:27 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Any rear end/tranny suggestions?
Starting to think the 8.8" may not be A-ok with 31 splines...
But if I can I do want the Vspec T56
If not then a TKO500/600
When my E car was wrecked, it was in for some shim adjustments on the rear end. Two weeks prior to that, I put an eaton traction lock differential in and removed the Saleen max grip differential. It helped the cars straight line performance, but hurt the car's cornering performance. I really think the 8.8 will work with 31 splines, but I think you should upgrade the internals. I do think the tranny needs to be updated if you want to run some boost. I loved the T56 in the E car. It certainly had better feel than the 3650, tighter throws, and better accuracy. Can't go wrong with the T56. (You already knew that )

Quick Reply: KB vs. Other S/C's...POLE!PICK your FAV.