Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Supercharging or Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Speedy911
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharging or Turbo ?

ORIGINAL: FoxGT
Turbo's don't kill the v8 note at all. The only thing a turbo will do to your exhaust sound is make it quieter. If you've heard one that sounds ricey I wouldn't blame the turbo I would blame the exhaust setup they're running after the turbo. You have to think though, most people that run a turbo on their car want people to hear it, they don't set it up to be quiet. There are quite a few things you can do to make the turbo next to impossible to hear.

Not trying to convince you that you should go turbo or anything. I've built quite a few kits & like s/c's just as much as turbos. They both have their upsides, but as far as exhaust note the only major difference is how quiet the exhaust is with a turbo whereas superchargers from my experience seem to make it a bit louder under boost. Then again i'm not really a big fan of a really loud car. I like it to be louder than stock, but not by much.
+1
I'm running open down pipe on my fox, and let me tell you....the v8 note is definitely there - think of a mix between a turbo diesel and a fox.
If your your worried about it being too quiet in boost, don't plumb your wastegate into your exhaust - that will definitely cause some ruckus.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Turbo's don't kill the v8 note at all
Sound of my turbo at idle.
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=sideexh1.flv
Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

It's a matter of preference. Both methods will get you awesome power. I chose supercharger since it is a bit less hassle then a turbo. Easier to tune, linear power band, less heat in the engine bay, no worry of manifolds cracking, no boost leaks, cooler charge temps without the need of a intercooler, etc. I also personally enjoy the sound of a centri at idle.

You're going to be satisfied either route you go. You have the ability to make more power with the turbo setup but you will also need to maintain it more often then the blower route. If you have the option, take a ride in both types of cars, feel how the power comes on, listen to the sounds, see how they look, make your decision from there.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

like onefasteclipse said, its all preference. also depends on what your using it for, IMO turbos are the best.for your hp goal,a turbo setup would be easier to attain that goal. (of course the #s your lookin at, youll need to beef up that engine.) and if i see one more " which is better" power adder topic, im gonna put a bullet through my head![sm=bangbang.gif] lol
Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

For a street car go Twinscrew. Runs much cooler than turbos. Water to air is much better for street cause its constant temp. Try putting your hand on my supercharger after a 40 mile drive, its just warm. Do that to the turbo and see what happens.

Turbos are not more efficient than superchargers and superchargers are not more efficient than turbos. Its gets complicated and depends on your application.

Remember heat is the number 1 source of causing blown engines and turbos are notorious for running hot.

Pick up a couple of the past months Modified mustangs and theres a section of supercharger myths. They compare the Twinscrew to Turbo and give you all the facts you will need.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Whether your turbo runs hot or not has nothing to do with your engine. Turbos do not cause your engine to run hot. Of course if you touch the exhaust or center housing of a turbo after a drive it will be hot, that's like saying, "hey touch my header & tell what's hotter, the header or my intake" The compressor housing is acting like a heat sink. Twin screw compressors get hot aswell (not as hot though), but not at idle. consider the rotors are spinning in a vacuum. There isn't much air for it to compress under that condition so there isn't much heat, when your throttle plate is open that's a different story.

There is nothing complicated about it. Some compressors are more efficient than others at different pressure ratios & different cfm. I don't get how you can say neither the screw or the centrifugal compressor is more efficient than the other judging by that i'm guessing you haven't seen a compressor map of either?

On top of this, in a turbocharged car there are no parasitic losses from the turbocharger taking power from the crank to drive it. There is however a restriction in the exhaust so it's not free power, but it takes quite a bit less to power a turbocharger than it does a supercharger.
Even your modified mustangs magazine said that,

"Turbochargers produce boost just like a mechanically-driven blower but usually take longer to respond to the throttle and are a little more complicated to install. They do offer the advantage of having no parasitic power loss because they run on exhaust gases that are already on their way out of the engine."

I will agree they do take longer to respond which is why I tell everyone if you're building a fun car to play around go with a positive displacement supercharger. I prefer turbo because of the higher power gain, but i'd rather have a positive displacement supercharger on a car that I drove around for the hell of it.

Funny how every turbo kit i've built & no one has blown their engine yet...

I don't get the air/water being better for street either. in most cases air/water are used for two reasons.
One being lack of space, it's easier to use an air/water intercooler if you have a very small amount of room to work with for plumbing or for rear engine setups.
The other being using ice as a method of cooling it, which is why most run an air/water at the strip.

If you're looking for constant temp I don't know why you'd go with an air/water. Air/air temps vary depending on outside air temps & it generally doesn't change from 70 to 100 degrees outside in an instant (unless you're near an explosion) Water temps on the other hand do heat up after sitting for a bit (like in city conditions.
Water does take a while longer to heat up than air (generally it takes 4 times as long), but likewise it also takes water a bit to cool down. Keep in mind in both instances you're going to be using the rad fan (or some type of cooling fan) to pull in air to both. for the air/air that means if the air outside is 80 degrees you're constantly pulling 80 degree air into the cooler. Unlike the air/water situation where you probably aren't going to get the temp of the water below 100 degrees in that sitiation. If you saw a few datalogs showing the air temp going into the engine after the cooler I'm pretty sure you wouldn't think too highly of air/water intercoolers vs air/air intercoolers on a street car in terms of lowering charge temp. Their area that I think is better is a lower pressure drop vs air/air. I personally don't mind a 1-2psi pressure drop in my situation since my wastegate signal line is hooked up after my intercooler.
Also keep in mind you can use water to cover the intercooler core to lower the air/air core temp even more. Some people even use co2 or have their nitrous purge to spray the core to get it extremely cool.

Both air/air & air/water have their upsides in either situation. If I was building a strip car i personally would go air/water & use ice water. If I was going a street car & had room i'd choose an air/air cooler on a centrifugal s/c'd car or turbo car. On a positive displacement car i would choose air/water on a street car to keep the pressure drop to a minimum since the pulley wont compensate & so there is less intake tract volume so throttle response stays extremely snappy vs air/air setup which would cause a slightly slower throttle response.

Sounds to me like you're biased toward twin screw a bit. & Judging from your sig i'd say it's because you own one.

Personally I think roots/twin-screw/centrifugal (both s/c &turbo) have their upsides. Some are better for some things, some are better for others. I love positive displacement cars just as much as turbo cars, if not more just because of how much more fun they are. I keep going turbo because I know it's going to get me a bit more hp in the end. I actually still plan on building a roots kit for my '96.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: floodzilla
and if i see one more " which is better" power adder topic, im gonna put a bullet through my head![sm=bangbang.gif] lol

Get the gun ready man, there is no stopping these threads. And no doubt, when the next one is posted, someone who has never owned and/or driven a turbo car is going to post something about how horrible lag is.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 AM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dirty Sanchez

Get the gun ready man, there is no stopping these threads. And no doubt, when the next one is posted, someone who has never owned and/or driven a turbo car is going to post something about how horrible lag is.
Amen to that brother. one ride in a turbo car would quickly change their minds, thats for sure.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 AM
stangman1976
2nd Gear Member

TURBO if you want to win races as for 2000AZ5.0 dont listen to him he is a dumb mother f*cker who contrdicts himself when put on the spot and his 550hp is weak as hell. with a proper twin turbo set-up you should be well over 700hp, GT35R DBB turbo's are great. there is no lag if turbo's are sized properly I've been working with turbo cars for many years now turbo ftw
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dirty Sanchez

ORIGINAL: floodzilla
and if i see one more " which is better" power adder topic, im gonna put a bullet through my head![sm=bangbang.gif] lol

I hate turbo lag! I used to have a 60-1 on my car and I wouldn't hit full boost till about 5k rpms!

In my Eclipse. [sm=smiley36.gif]

Quick Reply: Supercharging or Turbo ?