Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Mach 1 turbo question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
PappaSmurf

Default Mach 1 turbo question...

Let me start off by saying that i couldn't find this when i did the search on here. I think it was too broad of a question. I'm buying a Mach 1 as soon as i get back from boot camp in late December. I've been looking at different superchargers and turbochargers for it. My question is what would be better for a Mach 1? They don't have forged internals on the Mach engines, so would a stock Mach block be able to handle forced induction, or am I in need of some engine work as well? I was told that a turbo would be better because you can pump out more power running a lower psi, therefore keeping the engine cooler while still putting out massive power gains. I just thought i would post this up here and see if anyone could shed some light on my dilemma here. Maybe someone could set me straight on what the best or more logic options would be. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:56 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Running a turbo at a lower psi doesn't mean it's going to make your engine cooler. Any type of forced induction isn't going to cause your engine to heat up while daily driving. As far as wot internal temps, turbo would be your worst bet. While it does offer more power per psi if sized properly, it also offers quite a bit of back pressure in your exhaust manifolds to go along with it. That makes it hard to push all of the exhaust gasses out. That's the same reason why I never recommend going with smaller size turbos with stock cam(s). If the backpressure in the header is above the positive pressure in the intake it will push the exhaust back up into the intake during valve overlap. Larger turbos are better for stock cams, but even so there's still quite a bit more backpressure in comparison to superchargers.
Compressor temps of the turbo vs a centrifugal are going to be near the same. They both are fairly cool while driving, when you stop & the car is idling or shut off the turbo's compressor is going to get alot hotter than the s/c due to heat transfer.

If the car's a daily driver, I would recommend a positive displacement s/c for the fun factor. They tend to have more of that put a smile on your face effect. I'd say turbo if you're aiming for most power.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Fobra
Banned

well if want decent power for cheap, I would consider doing an m112 (cobra s/c system swap) you can probably get the whole shabang for 1000 bucks or less
Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

If you're going the used/diy route, you could build a turbo or s/c kit for under $1k if you know what you're doing.