Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

help choosing a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:30 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

Default help choosing a supercharger

i have a 96 cobra im looking to supercharge by the spring, im looking to make over 425 rwhp and trying to find the most economic way to go about doing it, any help?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I would suggest a roots for fuel economy, which actually works out because I suggest the roots/twin screw for daily driver street cars anyway. Roots are good for fuel economy, the twin screw, not so much.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

what is a roots blower exactly? like is it a kenne bell or vortech?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

A roots blower is basically a kennebell. A centrifugal supercharger(looks like a turbo) is vortech, paxton, procharger,etc. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Roots make great low end torque/power while centrifugal's really shine in the upper rpm's. Personally I like my centrifugal vortech. FoxGT really knows his stuff in the boost department though.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

oh i was looking towards something like a procharger to try and keep my upper intake manifold i like the look of it, i have until spring to decide what i want but i want to know now what im saving for lol
Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

A eatons are the most common roots s/c's. Kenne bell is a twin screw. While roots & twin screw share similar power curves (older unmodified cases dropped off at higher rpm moreso though), they are not all that similar. They do share somewhat similar looking cases in the aspect of them looking like a box, they both use two rotors. The roots has two rotors that are mirror images of themselves & the twin screw have two different shape rotors, but they mesh together the same. The twin screw compresses air internally, the roots just moves air & the air is compressed in the intake (which is why the roots is called a "blower"). Unfortunately compressing in the intake causes more heat (some call it the heaton), but on the upside it allows for a bypass valve that will reduce drag to near zero while at cruise/idle for great gas mileage, the twin screw can't do that. The newer generation roots are actually pretty good in the aspect of efficiency & lower outlet temps.
The roots pretty well gets a bad rep due to older designs, even some of the newer designs aren't exactly the greatest in stock form. While ported, they can reach pretty high efficiency #'s. Also, the older roots designs weren't all to great at anything above 1.6-1.8 pressure ratio (around 6-10 is where they're most efficient). Porting the case on older ones helps this out quite a bit.

Centrifugal probably will be the cheapest if you're looking to buy a complete kit. If you build the kits yourself, you can pick either. The roots kit i'm currently on is going on a 5.0 & using the complete intake (upper & lower) in a remote mount setup. Centrifugals are the one's you probably see most often, They look like a snail shape, similar to the compressor on a turbocharger.

In any case. You'll get more power with the centrifugal, but it will be in higher rpm. The reason I recommend roots/twin-screw for daily driven, full weight cars is for three reasons; all range boost (the centri will have more high end power though), instant response, & better fuel economy (roots only). because of the nice low-mid range power & instant response it makes for an extremely fun to drive car & can help get the car moving faster when at lower rpms. Because of that the roots/twin-screw feel like a faster car, while the centrifugal will feel like the slower car(but will be the faster of the 3). The centri is easier on drivetrain though due to a rolling into the power feel. If you're wanting max power i'd go for the centrifugal.

All 3 are definitely nice & i'm sure you'll be happy regardless of what you choose.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

thanks for all the info foxgt that helps alot .. i still have awhile to decide gota price each one out, i was also told by the v6 section i can get a m112 kit from someone on here for 1100 shipped but i would have to switch some of my parts to make it work
Old 09-08-2008, 04:20 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Just make sure it's going to fit, I haven't done any kits on the modular engines. As for cost, I couldn't tell you... depends on where you source the parts from & what route you take. On the turbo & s/c kits I do using used parts, fuel parts are what really kills the price. Running new parts & stainless mandrel bent pipes (for turbo kits) will easily rack up cost to above $3k fast.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

alright i have awhile to think about this but im pretty set on a procharger right now, we'll see how i feel come april i guess
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by my94pony
alright i have awhile to think about this but im pretty set on a procharger right now, we'll see how i feel come april i guess

If you do get a procharger get the D1 and intercooler upgrade.....
Or you could also go... TURBO!!!

Quick Reply: help choosing a supercharger