Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Anyone ever add a cooler to an oil cooled blower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:58 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone ever add a cooler to an oil cooled blower?

Thinking of adding an oil cooler to my vortech supercharger.... should be pretty simple right? Anyone ever try this? Hear about, have experience with it?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:40 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I have not done it but I have seen them before. I was reading the other day that one company recommends them on there customers turbo cars. I was thinking about putting one on our turbo car as well it should help cooler oil may take some temp. out of it. I love you do it and let me know how it works LOL. do I get a second on that.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I have not done it but I have seen them before. I was reading the other day that one company recommends them on there customers turbo cars. I was thinking about putting one on our turbo car as well it should help cooler oil may take some temp. out of it. I vote you do it and let me know how it works LOL. do I get a second on that.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

damn pos site it wont let me edit anything sorry about the double post
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

Might give it a go next weekend. If I do I'll take pictures and figure out how to post them on here somehow...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Oil coolers on turbos help two things which is the same reason for watercooling; they are practically required for long duration bursts or a constantly spooled turbo. Short duration bursts like drag racing or racing another car from a stoplight doesn't require one. The other situation it help is durability most people don't know how to treat a turbocharged car right, a big area of this is due to hot shutdowns instead of idling to let the turbo cool down. Oil coolers aswell as water cooled cartridges help in this aspect.

Oil coolers aren't required for centrifugal superchargers because they don't have a center cartridge attached to parts seeing 1600 degrees F.

Nonetheless, it may be a good idea to keep the oil cooler to prevent it from faster breakdown, but i'm not an expert on oil.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

I would think anyway to keep the oil cool in whatever your using to make boost would be a good idea...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Oh i'm not saying it's a bad idea. It is a good idea, I was just stating why you generally don't see them on many supercharged cars; because it's not a huge help, but it does help somewhat, not just the s/c, the engine aswell.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

My guess is it would improve the life of your supercharger more than the performance of your car.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

supercharger & engine. Will help the oil so it doesn't breakdown faster. Too much heat is bad for engine oil. You are right, it will help in terms of durability, not performance.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever add a cooler to an oil cooled blower?