Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Quick nitrous question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Default Quick nitrous question

Would a zex wet kit from a '01 cobra be compatible with a '05 GT? I am looking at a used kit for $220 right now, and I am just wondering if it will work on my car. If not, what would I need to make it work?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Would a zex wet kit from a '01 cobra be compatible with a '05 GT? I am looking at a used kit for $220 right now, and I am just wondering if it will work on my car. If not, what would I need to make it work?
Looks like they are very close if the Cobra kit is the same as the GT kit. I'm looking at: #82217 1999-2004 Mustang GT Nitrous System
Possibly just the fuel rail adapter is different but it looks the same in the pdf's. Also, they added a resistor wire for the TPS wire due to incidents of CEL coming on. Don't think it is mandatory to have though, even if the CEL comes on. Jetting is the same, should be a good deal for you. Compare the install instructions for the two kits on the Zex site for your self to be sure.

Last edited by jimkaray; 10-01-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Looks like they are very close if the Cobra kit is the same as the GT kit. I'm looking at: #82217 1999-2004 Mustang GT Nitrous System
Possibly just the fuel rail adapter is different but it looks the same in the pdf's. Also, they added a resistor wire for the TPS wire due to incidents of CEL coming on. Don't think it is mandatory to have though, even if the CEL comes on. Jetting is the same, should be a good deal for you. Compare the install instructions for the two kits on the Zex site for your self to be sure.
K thanks, I think I'll go for it anyways just because it is cheap and I have a local nitrous place that should be able to help me with any problems.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Good luck. At that price yu can part it out and make a couple bucks. I'll buy the bottle off you if you do.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Ok I'll keep that in mind but I checked another brand, and for the 99-04 instructions they use the same instructions for 05+ so it looks like it will work.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
manicsmokey

someone correct me if im wrong but i think your gonna need a diff. WOT switch as the 05-current are drive by wire and the 01 cobra isent
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by manicsmokey
someone correct me if im wrong but i think your gonna need a diff. WOT switch as the 05-current are drive by wire and the 01 cobra isent
I don't know how it works, but a place by me uses a switch actually underneath the pedal. I would like to know now too lol
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by manicsmokey
ZEX uses an NMU, Nitrous Management Unit, which is the purple box that houses the solenoids and the system management electronics. The white wire is then taped into a specific TPS sensor wire. Now you just program the unit to the TPS voltage range across the full pedal travel so it knows when you are at WOT, only takes a minute and there is no mechanical switch needed. You can add an electronic RPM window switch for more specific activation/deactivation control and overall operational safety if you want.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
ZEX uses an NMU, Nitrous Management Unit, which is the purple box that houses the solenoids and the system management electronics. The white wire is then taped into a specific TPS sensor wire. Now you just program the unit to the TPS voltage range across the full pedal travel so it knows when you are at WOT, only takes a minute and there is no mechanical switch needed. You can add an electronic RPM window switch for more specific activation/deactivation control and overall operational safety if you want.
Ok cool, so I assume this WOT sensor is fairly universal? I was planning on getting a window switch for safety too.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

As long as you connect it the proper wire it will learn your exact WOT voltage reading.
From the instructions pdf -which you should read:-)
Using a voltmeter or referring to a factory wiring diagram, locate the correct Throttle Position Sensor output voltage wire. The correct TPS output wire will typically have around .5 volts when the throttle blade is closed and around 4.5 volts when the throttle is opened fully. Your voltage numbers may vary from vehicle to vehicle, but this simply gives you an idea of the proper voltage you should be seeing. Use the supplied red T-tap connector and tap into the voltage output wire. Attach the red crimp-on blade connector to one end of the white TPS Resistor Wire and plug it into the T-tap connector. Attach the other end of the TPS Resistor Wire to the white wire from the nitrous management unit.
and
Program activation switch. Now that you have completed the wiring of your nitrous system, the next step is to program the activation switch. To program the activation switch, turn the vehicle’s ignition on, but do not start the engine. Turn the nitrous arming switch to the "ON" position. Go to the nitrous management unit (NMU) and locate the push-button switch. Depress, then release, the push-button switch. Observe the NMU’s operation light. At this point, it should be RED. This RED light informs you that the NMU’s activation switch is in learn mode. Return to the driver’s seat and depress the accelerator pedal to the floor, holding it there for ten seconds. Release the accelerator pedal and go back to the NMU and observe the operation light. At this point, the light should be flashing continuously from RED to GREEN to OFF. This is the NMU’s way of telling you that it has successfully learned the voltage curve of your engine’s throttle position sensor. Go back to the driver’s compartment and turn off the system’s arming switch, then turn it back on. Go back to the NMU and observe the operation light. It should be solid GREEN at this point. This informs you that the system is armed and ready to activate at wide-open throttle. Return to the driver’s seat and depress and release the accelerator pedal several times. You should hear the solenoids click each time you reach wide open throttle. At this point, your Activation Switch is fully programmed and ready for use. If you ever transfer your nitrous system to another vehicle, perform this same procedure on the new vehicle to "relearn" the NMU’s Activation Switch.

Quick Reply: Quick nitrous question