Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

X-pipes or H-pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Crazyboy1432

Default X-pipes or H-pipes?

Well, I've been trying to decide on what sort've exhaust I want to buy for my '96 GT. I've searched around, and found it posted many times that the only difference is sound. I also heard that the H-pipe doesn't make much noise after 3,000 RPMs. Now... I want something loud, but not repulsively loud. I don't want my car's bark to overrate its bite. So, I have a few questions...

Any significant differences between the two styles? Such as airflow or back pressure differences?

The X-pipes make more of a raspy growl, and the H-pipes make more of a bass-heavy drone... Right or Wrong?

Does the sound of the H-pipes actually die off at 3k+ RPMs? or what?

and finally...

Which one is generally louder?

(PS: Go easy on me please, I'm a newbie. )
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

There is almost no difference between the 2 in terms of power.

How each will sound is very dependant on the type of mufflers you have. In general (not totally exclusive) x pipe sound better with a straight through muffler, and a h pipe with a chambered muffler. In general h pipes have a deeper and rougher tone compared to a x pipe.

H pipes tend to make more noise at lower rpm's. While x pipes tend to be a little smoother (again it depends on the mufflers) and have a higher toned scream up high.

In general, h pipes tend to be a little louder from what i've seen and experienced.

Last edited by mrtstang; 11-02-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Take mine for example. I have really loud straight through mufflers. I've tried both x and h pipes, with an without cats. The o/r h was definantly the most obnoxious, loud, and raspy of the bunch. The o/r x was a tad smoother and quieter (not much though) and less raspy.

I finally settled on a catted h (i like the sound of h pipes better in general) and i am satisfied with that.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Crazyboy1432

Hmmm... Alrighty then, I have another question to add to the list after reading your post, mrtstang.

What sort've power differences am I looking at in "Catted vs. Non-Catted"? Anything substantial?

I've read that catted exhausts increase the power, but it seems pretty up in the air about how much. What's a pretty fair consensus for how much power a catted exhaust realistically adds?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

There isn't much difference at all between hi flow cats and o/r pipes. The only difference you may feel is that the powerband is slightly shifted due to less back pressure with a o/r pipe.

I would personally base your decision on sound alone.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Take mine for example. I have really loud straight through mufflers. I've tried both x and h pipes, with an without cats. The o/r h was definantly the most obnoxious, loud, and raspy of the bunch. The o/r x was a tad smoother and quieter (not much though) and less raspy.

I finally settled on a catted h (i like the sound of h pipes better in general) and i am satisfied with that.
im at the same point right now,since i put the h-pipe on with the terminators im not sure i like it when i floor it, it is a little raspy, so im thinking in going with something chambered, but im going to wait til i fix the exhaust leak to see if that helps. Im also going to have someone drive away so i can hear what it sounds like instead of just in the car.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang51js
im at the same point right now,since i put the h-pipe on with the terminators im not sure i like it when i floor it, it is a little raspy, so im thinking in going with something chambered, but im going to wait til i fix the exhaust leak to see if that helps. Im also going to have someone drive away so i can hear what it sounds like instead of just in the car.
I wonder how much different yours sounds since you have stock manifolds. Mine (with the o/r h) was just crazy loud and raspy. The o/r x was better (it was a bit smoother and cleaner sounding) but still way too loud and raspy for me as well.

Changing to the o/r x might work for you...it's a thought! If not you'll like a catted pipe with these mufflers. If you do keep the o/r h, it's hard to beat a chambered muffler imo.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

I love my MAC prochamber H-pipe! Deep rumble at idle, and nice growl at WOT.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

i just changed it about a week ago, i loved the way the terminators sounded with the stock cats, i didnt think it would be so raspy with the o/r h.It is def alot loader than i expected but it doesnt bother me.So i might have to back to the flows i just hope i can change the mufflers and not have to get another catback, i'll have to measure the off set unless anyone has done this before, use a sss catback with flowmaster muffler.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

X sounds racerboyish/Racecarish (Think Infinity G35/G37 or Nissan 350Z/370Z) H pipe sounds more muscle car (throaty)

X pipe actually flows a little better than H, less turbulence. Won't notice it in most applications unless you're FI and WOT. SOPF (seat of pants feel) you won't tell the difference. Only on a dyno.

Quick Reply: X-pipes or H-pipes?