Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

2v stock w/vortech what can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Default 2v stock w/vortech what can I expect?

I have been debating this for almost 6-8 months already...
Either s/c my '00 GT w/72K miles / all stock or sell it and buy an 04 Cobra since I am seeing them priced in the $19K-$22K range .

Of course, The funnest option is get the Cobra ....

What kind of rwhp would I expect with one of the less expensive Vortech set ups? Will intercooling increase hp significantly? Cost for the intercooler? The car has N20 on it now, maybe a 50-75 shot w/sc?

I don't want to end up spending $4K-$5K on the s/c with install (I am too lazy lately to do it myself :lol, and then add this, add that, and before you know it I could've bought the cobra :barf: for the money spent..

Usage of the car? Just a daily driver, occasional street race.. most common losses ? Evos and WRX's .....

discuss
Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

If your car is bone stock (no exhaust or bolt ons) you might see 330-340 rwhp with a non intercooled blower. Intercooled maybe 360 ish. Add a few exhaust and intake mods, and the number will go up.

I would not spray it on top of the blower.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:29 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

If you buy the Vortech kit new and the supporting mods used, you're looking at about $3,500 with a good tune.

However, that number will surely go up if you don't install it yourself. It sounds like you should go for the Cobra.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

if you can afford a cobra i would just go with that
Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexplantman
What kind of rwhp would I expect with one of the less expensive Vortech set ups? Will intercooling increase hp significantly? Cost for the intercooler? The car has N20 on it now, maybe a 50-75 shot w/sc?

I don't want to end up spending $4K-$5K on the s/c with install (I am too lazy lately to do it myself :lol, and then add this, add that, and before you know it I could've bought the cobra :barf: for the money spent..

Usage of the car? Just a daily driver, occasional street race.. most common losses ? Evos and WRX's .....

discuss

mmmkay.

first off intercooled you can max out the short block's HP rating. 350-400rwhp is easily achievable. much more than 400 and your asking to go boom.

intercooler does not increase horsepower, it actually lowers your boost pressure. extra piping in your intake = lowers PSI. the benefit to intercooling is you can raise your boost pressure without significantly increasing your intake temp.

nitrous with SC on a stock shortblock gt = waste of time, the SC alone can max out the block.

4-5k with install and tune should be expected, possibly more depending on how much you spend on the SC.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus
If you buy the Vortech kit new and the supporting mods used, you're looking at about $3,500 with a good tune.

However, that number will surely go up if you don't install it yourself. It sounds like you should go for the Cobra.
Where is everyone seeing these $3.5K Vortech kits, lol? The ones I am seeing are $5K
http://www.americanmuscle.com/00-04-...ortech-sc.html

If I can find it new for under $4K, I'll just do it myself... lol
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Where is everyone seeing these $3.5K Vortech kits, lol? The ones I am seeing are $5K

Well, that price is what you'll pay if you buy the 'tuner kit' and piece the supporting stuff together yourself.

Sorry, I'm posting in two supercharger threads and I forgot that I never gave you the info in this one!

The Vortech V3-Si tuner kit is about $2,500. This comes with everything except injectors, fuel pump, a good tune and a MAF. You do get a Vortech canned tune with this, but I highly recommend against that.

To piece together the rest of your kit, you'll need:

1. An upgraded fuel pump, something like an SVT Focus pump or a Ford GT40 pump. I use the SVT Focus pump, and it cost be about $100.

2. Upgraded fuel injectors as well. Something in the 42lb range seems to be a good fit. You can get a set of 42lbers for about $200 or so.

3. A new Mass Airflow meter (MAF). Your stock one cannot handle the extra air, and trying to use the stock one will cause your engine to run lean and explode. I use a 90MM MAF off of a Ford Lightning, and it costs about $100.

4. Definitely a tuner or some sort. If you want to learn to tune the car yourself (I recommend this approach, but be prepared to do a lot of reading), then be prepared to spend about $650 for a full tuning setup (I use Sniper Commando). The nice thing is that once you buy it, you can retune your car for any mods you get in the future. You can also get a tuner to tune for you. This will cost less the first time, but if you keep modding and needing new tunes it will eventually get more expensive than doing it yourself.

That is the barebones set of what you'll need (in addition to the supercharger kit). So, you'll need the cost of the kit, plus another $1000 or so for parts and tuning depending on what tuning avenue you take.

So, it's not a full kit you buy somewhere, but rather an incomplete kit and the supporting mods. I recommend going through Bob Kurgan at http://www.kurganmotorsports.com/. He is really helpful. Just give him a call and he'll get you on the right track.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

summitracing has vortech tuner kits for like 2500$ and full kit for 3k if i remember right. 200-400$ = ebay intercooler.

read the 1500$ "do it yourself" supercharger thread. how you can piece together a vortech blower for around 1500$ (but thats a used head unit and no fuel pump, injectors, or MAF so you will end up near 2000$ in parts all said and done non intercooled)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

I have read that sticky on building the econo-s/c kit, I will have to revisit it...

Here's what I just found in SUmmit
tuner kit $2,745
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VOR-4FL218-150L/

Here's a full kit for $3,679
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VOR-4FL218-130SQ/

So , your saying I'll be better off buying the tuner kit and getting the balance of the parts seperately? It's about a $900 difference between both kits.

thanks again

Last edited by alexplantman; 12-01-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

I have been debating this for almost 6-8 months already...
Either s/c my '00 GT w/72K miles / all stock or sell it and buy an 04 Cobra since I am seeing them priced in the $19K-$22K range .

Of course, The funnest option is get the Cobra ....

discuss
Just go with a Cobra better investment after you are done with your car it would be worth more than a blown GT plus it will take you much more dough to get a 2v to match 4v.... I will say it again Cobra all the way and don't look back.

Quick Reply: 2v stock w/vortech what can I expect?