Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

New turbo coming...header suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Default New turbo coming...header suggestions??

So i have a 76mm single turbo going on my 02 Saleen and I need to know what shorty headers I should put on. Was looking at the Ford Racing headers and the JBA. Help...
Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

none. keep the stock manifolds they will make more power than if you put on shorty headers. Even the Hellion hellraiser compound boost setup uses stock manifolds
Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

none. keep the stock manifolds they will make more power than if you put on shorty headers. Even the Hellion hellraiser compound boost setup uses stock manifolds
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Well crap, I don't have my stock ones anymore
Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SALEEN_TIME
Well crap, I don't have my stock ones anymore
The stock manifolds are one piece cast iron, so they will never crack. Tubular headers will dissipate heat rather than retaining it like stock, and heat helps to spool the turbo faster. I actually had a set of BBK headers, but decided not to use them after researching it a bit. There have been tests where shorty headers lost a few hp compared to the stock manifolds. Longtube front facing headers will make more power for a drag setup and big turbo, but that usually requires a whole custom fabricated kit
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Well a buddy of mine wants to buy my long tubes and hpipe so hes going to give me his stock ones off his 02. What kind of heads and cams do you have?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
The stock manifolds are one piece cast iron, so they will never crack. Tubular headers will dissipate heat rather than retaining it like stock, and heat helps to spool the turbo faster. I actually had a set of BBK headers, but decided not to use them after researching it a bit. There have been tests where shorty headers lost a few hp compared to the stock manifolds. Longtube front facing headers will make more power for a drag setup and big turbo, but that usually requires a whole custom fabricated kit

Heat is not a good thing, you want air flow - faster/more cfm will spool the turbo faster. It is true that hot air expands... yadda yadda... but thats not what is going to spool the turbo and will only shorten the life of your turbo and lead to higher IATs. Load will spool the turbo. Back pressure is a turbos arch nemesis. Running shorties would be better, but im wondering what kit he is ordering... it needs to be able to match up properly.

Last edited by Fobra; 01-09-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
Heat is not a good thing, you want air flow - faster/more cfm will spool the turbo faster. It is true that hot air expands... yadda yadda... but thats not what is going to spool the turbo and will only shorten the life of your turbo and lead to higher IATs. Load will spool the turbo. Back pressure is a turbos arch nemesis. Running shorties would be better, but im wondering what kit he is ordering... it needs to be able to match up properly.
no you are completely wrong there. heat spools a turbo and the stock manifolds have seen over 1000whp. Its not like a supercharged setup. Turbo is a completely different ballgame. It will never shorten the life of a turbo by running stock manifolds
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

and thats exactly what Hellion told me to. They said the stock is the way to go, no problems and more power!!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Frostbitten
no you are completely wrong there. heat spools a turbo and the stock manifolds have seen over 1000whp. Its not like a supercharged setup. Turbo is a completely different ballgame. It will never shorten the life of a turbo by running stock manifolds
Im not saying that there isnt some truth to a hotter exhaust temp helping the turbo spool faster. Im saying that it is not the ideal way to make it spool faster, getting more cfm is the way it should be done. Hellion is selling a product were they are not making a turbo header, so yeah of course they will tell you whatever they are selling is the best way to go, its not. Manifolds are more durable, no doubt. But restriction is restriction, not matter how you cut it. If you can make 1000 rwhp w. 30lbs of boost one way and with 22lbs of boost another, the lesser the boost the better. Of course the manifolds will be better for what your doing, but we will just have to agree to disagree, Im going to stick to more cfm w/less heat = better anyday of week, that is not to say that some heat is a bad thing, exhaust gas expansion no doubt is important, but there is plenty of heat as is, what you need is to maximize cfm.

http://www.tercelreference.com/terce...st_theory.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

there may be some advantage to manifolds on a 4.6 do exhaust gas velocity because of the unique crappiness of the PI head. However, a turbo is not heat driven, it is velocity driven and more heat does not equal more power, or a faster exit velocity - at least in the sense that it makes sense to add heat, because all heat added on one end = a reduction of power on the other.

Quick Reply: New turbo coming...header suggestions??