Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:11 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Default Methanol injection

Hey fellers. I recently picked up a 2006 supercharged Saleen. Been looking at some methanol injection setups through Snow performance. I had a couple questions for anyone that has done it.

1. Do the MAFS on my engine run on a 0-5v operating range?

2. Anyone have experience with meth and these positive displacement chargers, and if so, care to share?

My father and I were thinking about using the windshield wiper tank to hold the water/meth mixture, and then T off the line for the meth pump. The mixture would actually work well to clean the windshield lol, and it has the added benefit of alerting me when my methanol tank is low.

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Fobra
Banned

Here is your problem, your engine is not forged. I would not run meth, at least not unless it was my race car, but honestly I would rather run n20 than meth for a boost in power. An intercooler upgrade is always good idea.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I shouldn't need a forged bottom end to run a methanol injection. Most of the benefits will be from a cooler intake charge/denser air, and perhaps a slight bump in the timing.

You dont even need a forged bottom end to run Nitrous if you have the proper timing retardation and added fuel nozzles if you're running a conservative (100hp or less) shot.

What type of meth or N2o systems have you run that you're basing your recommendations off of?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The shop that tuned my car is big on methanol injection.

Here's some info on it.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...injection.html
Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Fobra
Banned

its a preference thing, but i think youll get more out of n20. The thing is that his bottom end is good for more than 500rwhp (thats pushing it), you should keep it to 450rwhp. So, with a pulley / intercooler upgrade you should hit that mark
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I might get more dollar for dollar out of N2o, but am liking the benefits of raising the octane AND cooling that a methanol system can provide.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Fobra
Banned

n20 will cool it down also. But again, as far as cooling, an intercooler upgrade would be a better move imo.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

N2o will cool the intake charge, but as it's a catalyst, it causes the overall mixture to burn hotter, hence why you have to retard the timing and run cooler sparkplugs when using nitrous. The advantage of meth is being able to run MORE timing.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
N2o will cool the intake charge, but as it's a catalyst, it causes the overall mixture to burn hotter, hence why you have to retard the timing and run cooler sparkplugs when using nitrous. The advantage of meth is being able to run MORE timing.
thats true, but youll get more power out of the n20. With the meth you would be running it full time. IMO considering wear and tear, and ease of use and the big power difference... you know the story. But the plus side is that meth is cheap.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

There is no need to run meth full time. You can use the MAF or a MAP sensor to trigger it during boost. For setups that can run multiple computer maps, you can use a tune that is triggered by the Meth, as in the case of my fathers 335i. Meth has far more benefits to an engine than N2o does, and is far more forgiving. Bang for the buck, Nitrous may be the way to go, but involves more plumbing and security precautions for both the engine and the purge/pressure release system. In terms of ease of use and wear and tear, Methanol seems to be the way to go.

Have you run a methanol or nitrous system? In another post you made the comment about hating when people just recycle things they've read, yet you've offered nothing in the way of experience. I'm not saying you have none, but am just curious as to what it is since you seem very intent on me running N2o.

Perhaps I should be more clear. I have NO intent of running nitrous on this vehicle. I have run it before on a smallblock Corvette, and it ran great. We enjoyed it, it worked well, however I have no interest in that setup on my Saleen.

Quick Reply: Methanol injection