Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Total Noob Question: S/C + CAI = ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Default Total Noob Question: S/C + CAI = ??

Didn't find this in a search, probably because I'm the only one that doesn't know it

Are these mods additive? If I have a CAI that gives an xtra 20HP, and a SC that brings you up to 400, can I expect 420HP?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

wow that is a newb question. simple answer, no. longer answer, your intake doesnt had 20hp. your lucky if it got you 10hp. also, you cant use your cai with the sc depending on which one it is. if your going with a roots/twin screw sc that mounts on top of the motor and the tb remains in the same location, then you can use the same cai. if you go with a procharger or a vortech you will need to use the intake that comes with the kit or buy an intake that is made for that sc

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 02-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

So $400 plus labor to get an extra 10 horses?? That hardly seems worth it. Plus how can the seller justify saying 20 to 25 extra hp...? Is that one of those "under perfect conditions" kind of statement? Otherwise that's kind of an outright lie.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

...and does that mean the 550HP Ford Racing SC isn't really 550 at the flywheel...??? I may be pretty new at this, but this all seems pretty disillusioning.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

the 3v motors make some decent power gains with an intake and a tune. on the 2v motors you see maybe 5hp on a stock car. but im pretty sure the 3v with a tune will get an extra 20hp or so. but WHY did you spend labor costs? all you needed was some basic hand tools and a few minutes in your driveway.

what you have to understand is they always say UP TO xx horsepower gained. take the 2v mustang for instance. most companies state that adding their 75mm tb and plenum adds 15+ rwhp. on a near stock GT its been dyno proven to give little to no improvements. however on a supercharged car, gains of 15rwhp or more have been shown. they don't tell you what OTHER mods the car had when they made a certain horsepower increase.

if they told you a throttle body on a stock car would only add 1hp how many people would be lining up to spend 400$ to get one? the truth doesnt sell performance parts.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info, dude.

[QUOTE=MU71L4710N;6791001] but WHY did you spend labor costs? all you needed was some basic hand tools and a few minutes in your driveway.

...didn't.

Was considering buying a CAI, and was looking into them when this question arised.

So my first purchase will be a SC, probably Ford Racing. That was the plan, but wasn't sure if a CAI would be a cheaper starting point. Now I know not to bother.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

yeah blower will replace your current intake. blower is not a good first mod IMO. you will be needing to re-dyno tune after any major changes to your intake, motor, or exhaust. get your cheaper supporting mods done before you sc it (exhaust, throttle body, manifold, whatever your wanting to do to it).

dont bother with a CAI but alot of other mods are good supporting mods for a supercharger (a bigger throttle body and better flowing exhaust for example).
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

unfortunately you can never believe the hp rating of a performance part. with a sc their estimates will be close to what you actually get but with minor stuff such as exhaust and cai, you wont see any where near the gain they claim. remember, an intake is just a piece of pipe with a filter on the end. nothing magical about it. the filter gets you about 9hp and the pipe (because it has smooth bends) is worth another 1hp. a tuner will be the biggest hp gain but why buy a tuner for your motor now if you plan to get a sc? the sc will require a new tune making your old tunes worthless. on a new car, personally i would do gears, exhaust then sc and tune it and call it a day. with those mods you can make 500hp and own just about any one on the street. after that its a matter of just getting some suspension and good tires
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
on a new car, personally i would do gears, exhaust then sc and tune it and call it a day. with those mods you can make 500hp and own just about any one on the street. after that its a matter of just getting some suspension and good tires
Aw dude, you rock.

That pretty much answers all the "beginner's mod questions" I had but didn't know what to ask first. Now I have a much better idea of where to start.

I just assumed (foolishly) that a CAI would be the first thing, since I figured it would be the easiest and cheapest install (it is, after all, just a winding pipe and filter, right?). Don't get how it could be so pricey for something so simple, but I guess I'm still learning.

So now I just have to find decent gears, exhaust, SC and tune for a '10, I notice there isn't alot out there yet. Any ideas?

Either way, thanks so much for starting me off.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

gears have nothing to do with your moddle year, you choose gears based off of your axle which should be 8.8 like all v8 mustangs. but double check since i dont have a 2010. the sc should be easy to find and then after that you just need to find a dyno tuner local to your area who can tune it when installed. a set of gears plus install usually run $500-$600. intake is a good place to start if you arent going to do a sc, if you plan to do a sc for sure, dont waste the money on an intake

Quick Reply: Total Noob Question: S/C + CAI = ??