Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Dyno tune??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default Dyno tune??

I was talking to my wife and I was telling her how I was going to get the Supercharger put into my car by a local shop and then I would have to drive 2 hours away to get a dyno tune. She asked me why was it so important to get a dyno tune and I was like eeh.. So that's one my questions? Also, how much do they cost usually? I know that I may have to do 1 or two runs.... I remember someone telling me that I would have to bring my tuner once the car gets dynoed , is that true? One last question, like I said before it is over a 2 hour drive to the dyno shop, do you guys think I will have a any issues driving that far untuned? Thanks and as always any help would be apprecaited..
Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 AM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

did you change injectors too? when i put the supercharger on mine i had my tuner make a chip with a basic tune for my bigger injectors so i could drive it home and for the weekend until i got the full tune. or if you have a tuner they could make you a basic tune and email it to you, then you can just put that new tune in after the install to not mess anything up. granted, my tuner is only 10 min from me. lol.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by m260gt
did you change injectors too? when i put the supercharger on mine i had my tuner make a chip with a basic tune for my bigger injectors so i could drive it home and for the weekend until i got the full tune. or if you have a tuner they could make you a basic tune and email it to you, then you can just put that new tune in after the install to not mess anything up. granted, my tuner is only 10 min from me. lol.
Yeah I'm gonna change the injectors also. I've heard of guys not getting a tune at all when they go Supercharged (I'm most def not going that way). I plan on babying her all the way to St Louis.How much will it cost for Breenspeed to send me a new tune? Did you get a dyno tune?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I was talking to my wife and I was telling her how I was going to get the Supercharger put into my car by a local shop and then I would have to drive 2 hours away to get a dyno tune. She asked me why was it so important to get a dyno tune and I was like eeh.. So that's one my questions? Also, how much do they cost usually? I know that I may have to do 1 or two runs.... I remember someone telling me that I would have to bring my tuner once the car gets dynoed , is that true? One last question, like I said before it is over a 2 hour drive to the dyno shop, do you guys think I will have a any issues driving that far untuned? Thanks and as always any help would be apprecaited..
The person you are having tune your car you need to contact and ask them how much they charge. Also, you will need to contact them so they can send you a base file that will work for your supercharger to baby it to their shop. If you don't get it tuned it won't run. You are going from 24lb injectors to 42lb injectors without telling the computer that is what you are doing so it will be super super rich if it runs at all. A dyno tune is important because they adjust your A/F, adjust your timing, adjust your rev limiter, they will also adjust your partial throttle drivability. They will make sure you aren't getting detonation and give you the best results. My dyno tune was 350$ which is pretty much the norm. 300-500$ is pretty much the range when tuning a forced induction car.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

kerns is correct, but to add to what he said, the a/f on a stock tune at wot is 13.5-14.0 but when you have a sc your a/f needs to be in the 11.7 area. if you boost your motor with 14.0 a/f your going to blow the motor. the same is true with timing, except with fuel you need more, timing you need less in order not to break anything.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey thanks guys..Got a little better insight now..
Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

typically $250 for the chip and $250 for every burn

every good shop should make at MINIMUM 2 pulls if not 3 or 4