Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Installing the Agent47 high flow upper grille

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
mikeSF
1st Gear Member

Default Installing the Agent47 high flow upper grille

I recently purchased the Agent 47 upper grille to replace my stock grille and after first receiving a defective grille as chronicled here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...per-grill.html , I got a much better replacement which I installed this morning.

One point they don't make in the ad is that installation requires permanent modification to your foglight baskets; that is, if you change your mind later, you must buy new baskets. period.

I thought I should share some fitment tips to help you get the most out of the grille, because out of the box, it did not fit my car well without a few important tweaks. Here are some suggestions:

1) the factory drilled holes are just a little too tight to accept the supplied screws. If you try to drive them as is, you will probably crack the plastic bosses, i did. Instead, take your 5/32" bit and widen the holes a bit...i also found the factory depths were not consistent so i made them all the same.

2) on first fit, the foglight bezels directed the lights much too high. Even cranking the adjustment screws all the way, it was impossible to achieve proper aim without requiring modification to the mounting surfaces.

There are a couple ways of dealing with this but what i decided to do was grind down some plastic on one of the tabs and widen the hole so the grille boss(shaved down) would fit inside, moving the basket closer and pressing the fog lens closer to the bezel. Here is the tab i reduced:

put it on your belt sander or apply a dremel or coarse sanding block and it looks like this:

next, i drilled out a 1/4"hole to accept the entire boss. They fit together like this (reverse view from previous image):

Next, the instructions are very clear about how to cut the inner tabs and re-drill them. When done, mine looked like this:

Notice the 1/4"x3/8" notch cut into one of the outer arms on each side. You need this and if you forget, you will find out at the very end that the grille won't snap in place.

When all modifications are complete, each basket looks like this:

OK, the grille assembly is ready to go on the car:

I really recommend dropping the bumper to install the grille, but you don't have to. I removed enough fasteners so I could lean the bumper forward and get my hands behind the grille to assure the tabs clicked into place...they are tight and you have very little to hold onto on the lower front edge of the grille.
Be careful with the foglight harness behind the passenger side because it needs to relocate slightly from its original position.

OK, make sure all tabs are clicked in place and check fitment all around.

...and...

Hope this helped!

Last edited by mikeSF; 05-25-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
mikeSF
1st Gear Member

A special thanks to Ken at Southern Mustang Parts for his help!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

i may be mistaken, but isn't that foglight/bezel gap what allows for aiming up/down of the lights? looks pretty cool though
'Jim
Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
mikeSF
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imfamousjim
i may be mistaken, but isn't that foglight/bezel gap what allows for aiming up/down of the lights? looks pretty cool though
'Jim
it is, and i left some play for adjustment, however, even with my reduction, the fogs were still aiming much too high.
The recommendation from Ford is that at 25' distance, the high intensity area of the beam should be 4" below the height of the lamps. I was starting at 18" above following my modification to the baskets.
i've got 'em cranked nearly flush now and they look good, so i am pleased.

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-30-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

It looks great, but too bad about all the work to make it fit!

It would be neat for them to make a 2010 grille without the lights.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by iDance
It looks great, but too bad about all the work to make it fit!

It would be neat for them to make a 2010 grille without the lights.
Have you looked at the Roush 7 bar billett grille? i have one on order now
Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
Have you looked at the Roush 7 bar billett grille? i have one on order now
I'm ordering a grille in a week or two and that's about the only option aside from cutting up my stock grille.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by iDance
I'm ordering a grille in a week or two and that's about the only option aside from cutting up my stock grille.
exactly, I'm doing the Roush nose and 7 bar grille..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
exactly, I'm doing the Roush nose and 7 bar grille..
They look good, especially in red!

The lower grille painted black looks even better than body color.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

MikeSF that looks good man. lots of work on your part that definitely paid off.

Quick Reply: Installing the Agent47 high flow upper grille