Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Want to start upgrading suspension on 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:38 AM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Want to start upgrading suspension on 05 GT

I want to start upgrading my suspension, but have no idea where to begin. Suggestions All? Specifics please...
Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 AM
darkfact
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Want to start upgrading suspension on 05 GT

read this link for some good info:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm
Old 08-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

I was at a Car and Driver test drive event this saturday in Indy (good fun). anyway there were like 10 or so pro drivers. During my ride in one of the cars, he had asked what our daily drivers are, i told him it was my 06 stang gt. he got to talking aobut his friends who road race them some. he said the best basic thing is a rear sway bar. said you'll noticed a huge difference.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:29 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Dumpweed... and everyone else. With all that said (other thread included), I think I'm gonna go with the BMR Lower Control Arms and A-Arm Brace (if only because it's only $60), and the Progress Tech Rear Sway bar and Bushing Kit (From stangsuspension.com). Anyone have any knowledge of the Progress Tech stuff from StangSuspension.com?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:26 AM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

+1 for Progress. I am using their LCA's and adj. panhard bar with their lowering springs. I will be getting their swaybars this month as well.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:58 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I see some sway bars come with "hangers" that are heavier than stock. That seems better. I see Spohn has a nice one and cheaper than other that include brackets. Don't know much about them though. Anyone else? Oh, also Granatelli..
Old 08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

I'm going with Spohn, talking to guys who know more than I, they seem to be a reputable company.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:47 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

I changed out my front and back sway bars with Roush,as well as the struts and rear shocks.Lower the car with Eibach springs.Add some fat sticky rubber(try BfGoodrich Drag Radials).You will see a big improvement!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I think you need to figure out what your goals for the car are. A lot of mods are tradeoffs or are specific for a certain kind of driving.

Several examples:

Drag Radials are great for drag racing, but are awful for driving that emphasizes handling, like autocross.

A heavier front sway bar is good for autocross, but is actually a downgrade for drag. In fact, for drag racing people generally REMOVE the front sway bar altogether.

Brake upgrades are good for road-course racing or autocross, but they are useless for drag.

Drag-valved shocks are going to be rotten for autocross....

I would do the basic, critical, mods first. In my opinion the #1 suspension mod should be LCAs. The next weak points are the rear sway bar, panhard bar, and panhard bar brace. These mods will be beneficial regardless of what kind of driving you are doing.

Lowering springs and shocks can be a great handling mod, but it depends on what you want to do...if you are lowering the car for performance, I'd go with a mild drop and the D-spec adjustable shocks. If you are doing it more for looks then you don't need that fancy of a shock setup and your goals for choosing springs will be different.

...but beyond that, you need to identify your goals for the car before you can decide what route to take.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks, Im in the same spot, looking to start modding the suspension and was about to ask the same question.

Quick Reply: Want to start upgrading suspension on 05 GT