Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

convertible strut tower brace needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:54 PM
gwhpnut

Default convertible strut tower brace needed!!!!

we just purchased a new 2007 mustang GT convertible, and on our first ride, encountered a bridge approach that made the whole dash board shimmie side to side???this seemed fairly severe to me. has anyone had this problem? or do you thinka strut tower brace would fix this problem? also I have been having a hard time finding a strut tower brace to fit over the decorative manifold cover that came on the car, and I would rather not take it off. I called BMR, Grannatelli, and some people on e bay, and they said it's a no go on fit with their product? HELP!!!! I here by call on the collective brains of this site for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks, vic
Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: convertible strut tower brace needed!!!!

I installed the Steeda Billet and that clears, but is expensive. It does help firm up the front.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Try Strange Development (not Strange Engineering). They sell an aluminum (polished or satin) strut tower brace that will clear what you have. I have the Midwest Technologies intake cover which is slightly different than the stock 07 cover and their brace clears it.
There website specifically sells braces that will clear both the Midwest cover and the stock 07 cover. I had tried the cheaper, black steel brace and it did not clear. I have the polished Strange Development brace and it clears perfectly. I have stock motor mounts and the engine does not move enough to hit the brace even though it's close.
http://www.strangedevelopment.com

Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Doh, should have said I tried the black, steel STEEDA brace and it didn't fit. It is cheaper than the aluminum version they sell, but wouldn't fit.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

On my 99, I would get the front end shake, Installed a STB and cleaned it up a lot.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Here is a pic of the Strange Development front shock tower brace on my car:

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/A7BCAB93EF174A8CBB399E819B956B76.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Sorry about the multiple posts, but I just figured out how to compress the pics right. Here is a picture of Strange Developments new "Z bar" rear shock tower brace that I just installed this weekend. Nice quality stuff and easy to install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/8B09CD717E3A41889C0C6390826C4D6A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
gwhpnut

thanks for the help, Yeah I called all the manufacturers, and the only people who have one that is sure to fit is the people at strange... thanks, for the tip... you didnt think the mounting holes were drilled excessivly? though? on the strange brace? it doesnt look like much aluminum left to attach with??? if not, thats the one I'll go with... to bad the guys at BMR are asleep at the switch, and didnt take the covers into play when they made their bar? theirs looks the strongest, and is a double bar. oh well thanks, vic
Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
msully1

The Granatelli single bar brace does fit the 07 with engine cover. I have one on my car right now. They had them for $50 in Sept. which is a bargain. Not sure what the price is now though.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 PM
terrysil
1st Gear Member

i am very suprised that you experienced what you call "dash board shimmie" I am a happy owner of an 05 gt convertible and i have not experienced any excess shimmie, as a matter of fact i think this is the tightest convertible i have ever owned, the only time i experience cowl shake was over a well worn rail road crossing in Montana, and as i say, it was not that severe. I think you may be expecting too much????.I also auto cross the car and it handles as good as the coupe, as a matter of fact, where i race no one has approached my times and I am not that good of a driver.

PS, i do have a strut tower brace but it made little if any difference.

Quick Reply: convertible strut tower brace needed!!!!