Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Brake Upgrades

Well it's time to change pads and fluid so I'm going to take the opportunity to upgrade to something that will stand up to track days. I'm thinking of going with Hawk HPS pads front and rear and ATE Super Blue Racing fluid. Both of these choices seem pretty popular. My Stang is my DD and I don't foresee any problems with these products in that regard, but if there are some issues I should know about please, let me know. I was also wondering if it would be worth stepping up to the Motul RBF600 fluid instead of the ATE; it's about twice as expensive but is 593/420 vs. 536/388. Do I need the extra boiling resistance just to be safe or will the ATE be more than enough as is?

Also, where is best place to buy this stuff? BuyBrakes.com has the pads the cheapest I've seen with free shipping, but they don't carry the ATE fluid and their Motul is quite a bit more expensive than other places.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I buy my ATE fluid here: http://www.raceshopper.com/ate_brake_fluid.shtml When I ran the HPS pads, I got them at raceshopper as well. The HPS pads are a big improvement over the stock pads and work well on the street. They should serve you well while you learn the ropes but you'll notice they aren't a "race" pad as your experience and speeds go up. I went to some EBC Yellowstuff pads for my last event of the year but the weather was cool (40s) so I can't comment on their performance when hot. There were at least three 100 mph plus straights per lap so they got a pretty good workout and was pretty happy with their performance. I may try some Carbotechs next.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The ATE will work fine. I use it, have R-Comps and never had an issue with it. I also do a few bleed pumps before every event. Get speed bleeders, you will be thanking me 100 times over. IMO the HPS are too light for the track. They are good street pads. Based on your previous posts and how quickly you got up to speed, I'd venture to say you will quickly over use them on the track. Track vs street is a trade off and if you want something for both its a compormise. Your best solution, as stated in other posts, is to have a set of rotors and pads for the track and a separate set for the street. If this is not an option then I personally would go at least Hawk HP+. In fact, I spent a couple months driving the car on the street with Hawk HT-10 in front and rear. They are loud and dirty but, even cold, they have decent enough stopping power and warm up quick, I would just be prudent and not tail gate.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Well it sounds like ATE is going to be fine. Getting a separate set of pads and rotors isn't an option at the moment, but I could probably swing it by the next track day. If not by then, then the next one. So I guess I may have to do one day on the HPS pads, which could be worse... like being on the stock brakes again.

Where cold I get the Speed Bleeders? RaceShopper doesn't have them for our cars. Also, how much louder and dirtier will the HP+ be than the HPS?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Size of speed bleeders: 10mmx1inx32mm. It's acually a hair longer than the stock bleeders, but the thread size is the same

Get them from Jegs or Summit

Never used HPS. I have used HP+ on rear - they are dirty. You will need to clean rims at least once per week.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Where can I get an extra set of OEM rotors? I can only find front pairs... can't find rears anywhere.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

You should also get stainless steel lines. Speed bleeders are nice. You can look for OEM rears at newtakeoffs website.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I plan on getting SS lines eventually, but not quite yet. newtakeoff.com only has the front rotors.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Just to motivate the "track-only" pads/rotors option, I have to say I love doing this. I'm amazed at how much abuse the race pads can take compared to high performance street pads. I tried the HPS on the track, and I was very disappointed.

The HT-10 rock, but they are very dirty. I too have spent some time with these on the street like Argonaut (just not as long), and they have surprisingly good initial bite when cold. I did this to give myself time to swap to the track set up a day or two before my events and a day or two after the event (assuming you don't chew threw them at the track). Highly recommend this option (and I use take-off rotors, front/rear, to save money on the consumables).

BTW, look into the Carbotecs, they are fantastic. They're also considerably more expensive, but they're not nearly as dusty as the Hawk pads and they are very gentle on the rotors compared to the Hawks. So you spend your money up front, but you save in terms of rotor longevity (and less hassle cleaning your wheels after the weekend), and personally I find them much easier to bed than the Hawks (which have been temperamental for me).

Last word, I'm hoping to get my write up done within a week of the brake ducts I made for under $100. You should consider brake ducts if you're going to track your car. Just a thought for down the road.

Best,
-j
Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

That's great to know, Philostang. I was already really interested in doing the Carbotech Bobcat street pads and then getting XP10's for the front and XP8's for the rear. I've heard nothing but good about Carbotech.

Depending on how clean the install is on those ducts you have is, I may do it. I'm thinking Agent 47, though right now.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades