Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How does "throwing away" grip make the car faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by houstonnw
Edit to add: The real reason for the question is that whenever I see in-car camera shots, from almost any series, the driver seems to be constantly "catching" oversteer. So that tells me that maybe oversteer is fast.
Assuming that we're talking about RWD cars, it more likely means that the driver is trying to live on the edge of tire grip with the throttle and occasionally ends up asking more from his rear tires than they can deliver.

Norm
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I believe I did address why changing grip and balance might make a car faster in post #5....

Do you have to "throw away grip" to make the car rotate more? No, not if you can either add grip at the front, or change the driving to accomodate. That was my point.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
... But I am kind of chuckling in a deja vue sort of way. Over on the Vette forum right now there is a thread going just like this but the other way around - trying to cure oversteer. .....
I tried to find the thread on the Corvette forum but can't. Could you please post a link so that those of us who want can read it.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I tried to find the thread on the Corvette forum but can't. Could you please post a link so that those of us who want can read it.

Thanks.
Here you go: C6 Oversteer Problems
Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Thanks - an interesting read.

I'm not quite at the Corvette power to weight level but with the SC find that I need to get the car pretty straight before applying a lot of throttle. Last year I followed a couple of Corvette's through corners and they seem to get the power down on exit better than I can.

If this article is correct then the Watt's link should help me this year

http://www.fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_24_.html
Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Rear relocation brackets? I added them yesterday and the car pulls out of corners MUCH better. I would think that fixing the rear geometry and planting the rear better would work wonders. Did for me...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Just read your sig and the "adj LCA and mnt" suggests that you already have the relo brackets. They worked wonders for me. A watts link is my next mod.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Rear relocation brackets? I added them yesterday and the car pulls out of corners MUCH better. I would think that fixing the rear geometry and planting the rear better would work wonders. Did for me...
If this was meant for me I already have the Steeda LCA Relocation Brackets but am going to double check that they are parallel to the ground. I also have the Steeda UCA and mount 555-4109 set on the longer setting.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I have mine set to slightly negative parrallel to the ground line. I think that's what REALLY helps with putting the power down. Along with making sure your pinion angle is correct. Once adjusting all that my car hooks really hard. Out of corners or otherwise.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I have mine set to slightly negative parrallel to the ground line. I think that's what REALLY helps with putting the power down. Along with making sure your pinion angle is correct. Once adjusting all that my car hooks really hard. Out of corners or otherwise.
I believe you are suggesting that having the axle end of the LCAs slightly lower than the body end improves things and you are correct. When I start "playing with things this summer this is one I may try.

I also notice that you are running 305s which are a little bit larger than my 285s. Of course this is partly offset by your 4.10 gears and my 3.55s.

Quick Reply: How does "throwing away" grip make the car faster?