Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

STR.T w/ Vogtland or Ultralights

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 AM
hiltsy845

Default STR.T w/ Vogtland or Ultralights

I am wanting to lower my 08 GT approximately 1 - 1.5" while sacrificing ride quality as little as possible. Improved handling wouldnt just be a bonus as I feel the car handles fairly well in stock form. I can't stand the 4x4 look, but don't want to ruin the ride. (been there, done that) This is not my daily driver, but will probably only see a road course or drag strip once a year. Mostly spirited driving on some curvy rural backroads and driving on the crappy Iowa streets. Some research has narrowed my decision to either the Vogtland or Steeda Ultralight springs with Koni STR.Ts. Does anyone have first hand experience comparing the two? It is hard to compare the numbers because the Vogtlands are "progressive".
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Would recommend Steeda Sports here. They are the best riding. While wound differently, none of the springs mentioned here are dynamically progressive--all function as linear springs when installed and the car is resting upon them.

STR.T's and Steeda Sports will are most certainly my recommendation based on your claimed wants. If you have much doubt you can see this thread that floating around:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ni-str-ts.html
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
hiltsy845

Sam, I really hadn't considered the Sports because the spring rate is slightly higher then the Ultralights and wanted to retain ride quaility. Am I looking at this the wrong way or is the handling improvement worth the tradeoff of the slightly stiffer spring. Steeda claims the Ultralights have the best ride quality of any lowering spring for the S197.

Also, would you recommend the d-specs over the STR.T for my application?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

I recomend D specs for anyone, any car lol
I had illuminas on my last car and know several people who use d specs on their setups....very ncie !
Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hiltsy845
Sam, I really hadn't considered the Sports because the spring rate is slightly higher then the Ultralights and wanted to retain ride quaility. Am I looking at this the wrong way or is the handling improvement worth the tradeoff of the slightly stiffer spring. Steeda claims the Ultralights have the best ride quality of any lowering spring for the S197.

Also, would you recommend the d-specs over the STR.T for my application?
Ultralites are NOT softer than Sports. I know what the claims are, I also know that many of the claims are super easy to shoot down. I have spoken to the company that makes the Ultralites, I know the rates. I also know that when you lower a car further, you need more spring rate to counter the drop. You don't have to add rate, but then you just slam onto the bumpstops harder and more often....

I *promise* you that the WORKING rate and only the working rate of a set of Ultralites is not softer than Sports. Even if they were the same rates (and they aren't hugely different, but different) the Sports give more working travel--how does that make them the firmer riding spring????

If the Ultralites were the best riding spring, then why have Sports? I know what they claim, I also know what the reality is, and for my money Sports are the better choice. And in the end it's sort of splitting hairs as the spring rates aren't what anyone would call hugely different anyway. There is less difference from Sports to Comp springs with Ultralites in between than there is between some car's optional suspensions. In fact it's not well known that most GT500 lowering springs are on average about 10-20 lb/in stiffer than GT springs.... but the winding is different between sets

Would I recommend D-specs over STR.T's? Apples and oranges. If I were comparing D-specs to a Koni it would be Koni Sports, and the answer would be hell no to D-specs over those (I've had both). When it comes to this, the answer would depend on two big things. Do you want adjustment? Do you want the most durable shock? If yes to question 1, then you have your answer which would be D-specs (setting Koni Sports aside). If you answer is yes on questions 2, then STR.T's. If you answer is yes to BOTH, then you need to think about Koni Sports.

And I have D-specs in stock... STR.T's in stock. Koni Sport rears in stock.... but fronts aren't (and who knows when they will be).
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
hiltsy845

Sam, thanks for your input. I fully understand that the springs will have to be stiffer to deal with the decrease in travel. I am just looking to comprimise the ride as little as possible. I have read some posts where the Sports rode quite a bit firmer than expected. I have the wife approval factor to deal with as I'm sure a lot of guys here do. Anyone else with Steeda Sport springs and aftermarket shocks/struts care to comment on your personal experienes? What do your significant others have to say?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Look, I have both--so if you want to do Ultralites that's cool too... But the issue is that most folks don't understand that when the both lower the car, and add spring rate that the car is going to ride more firmly. I can't tell you how many times in a week I have to explain that to people (who are genuinely surprised since there is so much hype out there).

I'm not at all shocked there are folks that "surprised" about how much the ride firmed up when springs went on. But there are mitigating factors. Most can't quantify what "stiff" is. Many do not upgrade their shocks, and those ride bad enough stock--and even worse when forced to try and deal with lowering springs. Many customers feel my cars ride better than stock with stiffer springs than Sport type spring, but it's because I have real dampers.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
bjohnson

I just bought a set of STR.T's and Ultralites from Sam. I am new to this game, but I am very happy with the setup. I am in Chicagoland, and we have plenty of crappy roads, and the ride is great. I have not bottomed out anywhere, no scratches on the underside of the chin spoiler. My car is a weekend only car. I also have an 8 month pregnant wife, and she does not mind the ride one bit.

My brother in law bought the same set up, and my sister enjoys the car more now, and she hauls her two year old around in it. We both wanted something better than stock, but not as aggressive as the Shelby GT setup. We are both very happy.

Like I said, I am new to all of this, but I figured the comment about the prego wife would add value and reassurance!