Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

X-mas questions...thanks for reading...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

Default X-mas questions...thanks for reading...

I was pointed to this sub-forum...Thanks Nuke!

Let me preface this with..."THANK YOU FOR READING"
Background:
My son has a 2007 Mustang GT with Diablo tune, CAI, Roush exhaust. We're now focusing on the rest of the car in hopes of making this a track worthy ride (road courses with me not drag racing)

So for Christmas I'm getting my son Agent 47 lower grill and brake ducts for the track. Cobalt pads.
This should help with the overheating brakes until we can do a big brake kit down the road.

He has the Ford springs that lowered the car by about an inch (part # m-5300) but is riding on stock shocks.

THE QUESTION----Should I put the Ford dampening shocks part # m-18000 on for him?
Here are the specs:
Engineered specifically for improved handing on the 2005-2010 Mustang coupe
Dynamic Suspension dampers, same manufacturer as Mustang FR500C race car
Unique FRPP performance tune
Designed specifically for lowered vehicles
Mustang GT coupe owners: Use with M-5300-K and M-5490-A for optimum performance
Ford dealer says they can do it for about $850-$900
Thoughts...opinions.

Thanks again,
J.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

Some people like the FRPP springs, but I currently am using the Steeda Ultra-lite springs. I love them compaired to stock. I'm in the market for a set of shocks also and from recommendation I'm looking at the Koni Str.t shocks. Another current issue is after lowering with the stock upper spring mounts, there is no adjustment for camber. That leaves you with either buying the Steeda HD upper spring mount of camber plates. I'm currently leaning toward the HD's due to the cheap factory ones. Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

So what does the Ford dealer "$800-900" quote include??

The A47 lower grill and duct should help, but you might also want to add braided lines and better fluid.

I have read nothing but good things about the new Koni STR.Ts as they are designed for mildly lowered cars and the price is great at $409 shipped from Strano. Plus they carry the lifetime Koni warranty!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

Yea, we have the stainless steel lines and we always go with track fluid before going.

The $800-900 quote is parts and labor to put the Ford dampening shocks on...that's it.

I've got a call in to see what Koni would cost to put on through an independent shop here in town. I just didn't know which was the better route, Ford or Independent, or for all intents and purposes they were the same?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

There is no difference in how the Koni's install vs. the FRPP. The difference is the dealer might want a bit more to install them having lost the profit margin on the parts.

Any competent shop can do this work. It is not difficult in the least. $8-900 seems very high to buy and install the FRPP shocks anyway. The rears can be done in a driveway on ramps.... The fronts might take 2 hours if you are really, really slow and no professional mechanic would be. They might be including an alignment in that price (I'd hope so), but that's still very, very high.

The Koni's are better dampers. The FRPP's have good control, but don't deal with bumps nearly as well--and don't have anything like a lifetime warranty either.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

The labor for the install of those parts would be real easy. I rented a spring compressor tool from AutoZone and did my lowering springs myself. At the point when you break them down you have the strut in your hand so that would be the same. I think it took me an hour to do the front right, then after I had done it, it took about 30 min to do the other side. The rear shocks don't look very hard either. It may be a good father son bonding to do it together???
Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 AM
BimmerTang
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the insight on the DIY...I was hoping to steal his car for the day and surprise him since it's a Christmas present.

I have a couple of calls to make this morning to see who can give me the best price based on the excellent advice you guys have given me.

THANK YOU!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Good luck and what a great gift!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Awesome gift idea! I keep trying to convince my family to pony up (pardon the pun) on car related gifts for me...I keep getting shirts.

Anyway, this may be too late if you have committed yourself, but I thought I'd throw in the mandatory set of questions here.

First, how committed to tame street manners are you? What price range are you aiming for? And finally, a +1 on the DIY route. You'll save money and it's not that difficult at all.

I run the Koni Yellow dampers, drove them daily on a 60 mile commute (round trip) for a year, and ran them at the track. Sam might have some comparison info for you (esp. how they would couple with the Ford springs; I run Vogtland). I've heard they are about the best for track use, so if you're looking to optimize, I'd suggest these. Personally, I LOVE them. I have a bit more tolerance for harshness than some, but I honestly don't think they are too hard on the street. And if you do the work yourself, your cost will be under the quoted price you just got (and apparently were willing to consider).

Just a thought.
Best,
-j

Oh, and +1 on upgrading the fluid (it's a must-do for serious track use).
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Another idea Bimmer, is to post your general location and maybe a local forum member will be willing to help you with the install. most of us work pretty cheap. For freinds and Forum members, I can usually be had for the cost of lunch and a half a gallon of Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea.

Quick Reply: X-mas questions...thanks for reading...