Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Camber Caster Plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Default Camber Caster Plates

So I'm looking on AmericanMuscle.com and they have 2 camber plates for the s197, the J&M Plates and the Maximum Motorsports Plates. What I am trying to find out is what justifies the extra $90 for the Maximum Motorsports Plates.

The biggest difference i've noticed is that the J&M Plates are 1.8 degrees adjustable and MM Plates are 1.6. I'm planning to run H&R Super Sport Springs with Roush Dampers. If that helps any.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I had the same dilema about 2 months ago when my suspension was all out of wack. The MM plates look really nice, but i couldnt spend the extra almost $100 when the J&M have even better adjustability . The J&M are working great for me and with the $ i save goes for more mods lol.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
darkhorse_07

So you recommend the J&M's? I have the Roush stage 3 suspension kit, and am trying to decide between:

MM $319-$337 1.6 degree adjustment - Stainless Steel
Steeda $270 1 degree adjustment - Billet aluminum? (another site said it was steel)
J&M $230 1.8 degree adjustment - Stainless Steel

I don't want any additional NVH since it's basically a daily driver, not a track car.

Last edited by darkhorse_07; 12-31-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

yeah i decided the same thing i'm about to order my j&m plates myself
Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

just put on Eibach Pro Kit Spring Set and reused the factory for now, but when I get around to my dampers, I'm going with the J&M. Have not heard a single person complain with them, and they look like they are made VERY solid.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Keep in mind that the MM plates are the only ones of those mentioned that also offer caster adjustment.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
Keep in mind that the MM plates are the only ones of those mentioned that also offer caster adjustment.
honest question: then why are they all referred to as camber/ caster plates when they are just camber plates
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
I would say not correct...

", and is adjustable without affecting caster"

Taken from product description

The slot moves left and right, camber adjustment... If you want to effect the caster with the mount, you need to be able to adjust it forward and back as well. Not really gonna happen unless that whole plate can move where the bolts are, they dont look like they do though.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I definitely recommend my J&M's, they are very well built and will be able to adjust your car for a fraction of the M&M cost. make sure you get an alignment after installing the plates though.

Another thing i recommend is that you install them yourself, they are very easy to understand and swap, the shop wanted outrageous $$ to do it.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I would say not correct...

", and is adjustable without affecting caster"

Taken from product description

The slot moves left and right, camber adjustment... If you want to effect the caster with the mount, you need to be able to adjust it forward and back as well. Not really gonna happen unless that whole plate can move where the bolts are, they dont look like they do though.
The MM mounts do indeed allow caster adjustment, just not very much. They have a slightly more complicated design than the others. There's one plate that locates the unit in the caster direction and another that locates it in the camber direction. The plate that locates caster is set with a single bolt/nut, and once set, allows the camber adjustment without affecting caster. But, like Sam said, the S197 front geometry is already setup nicely for handling with respect to caster.

I think the MM mounts are very well designed and the teflon thrust bearing they use is virtually indestructable (at least for my use).

As for this discussion about 1.8 vs. 1.6 degrees of camber adjustment, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Using the MM plates you can already get the strut shaft to nearly touch the inside of the opening in the top of the strut tower.

Quick Reply: Camber Caster Plates