Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Enkei RPF1 - getting serious now

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Enkei RPF1 - getting serious now

So now that it's tax time and everything I'm getting serious about buying a set of these for my car in 18x9.5, black. I will keep my current deep dish bullitts and put all seasons on them. Summer tires will go on the Enkei.

Before I spend big bucks on yet another set of wheels I want to be sure I'm getting the lightest 18" I can get for a "reasonable" price.

My question is this. Are there any 18" wheels out there, at least 9" wide, that weigh less than these do? These RPF1 are 18.6 pounds each.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Sure!

They're also made by Enkei, the new PF01 baby!! I love these wheels...

Pros:
1. Billed as lighter than the RPF-1 (so figure 18 lbs flat to maybe 18.3 lbs for 18x9.5")
2. Plenty of clearance for BBKs (unlike the RPF-1s)
3. Comparably priced to the RPF-1

Cons:
1. Only come in silver color.

I've got a set on order from my supplier. He says they're due to hit the US by the end of February, poss. early March.

Best,
-j
Old 01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
Sure!

They're also made by Enkei, the new PF01 baby!! I love these wheels...

Pros:
1. Billed as lighter than the RPF-1 (so figure 18 lbs flat to maybe 18.3 lbs for 18x9.5")
2. Plenty of clearance for BBKs (unlike the RPF-1s)
3. Comparably priced to the RPF-1

Cons:
1. Only come in silver color.

I've got a set on order from my supplier. He says they're due to hit the US by the end of February, poss. early March.

Best,
-j
So are you planning to track those wheels?

Is there any way to find out for sure that they will clear the GT500 Brembo brakes?

What is the offset?

I just found this link to their size chart

http://www.enkei.com/PF01.pdf

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 01-28-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added link to size chart
Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Sleep,

Yeah, those will be my dedicated track wheel. Enkei has a long history of supplying very strong, very light weight wheels to racers in all forms of motorsports. The PF01 comes from their Race line up (same as the RPF-1), and it meets JWL standards.

Wheel specs are as follows: 18x9.5", +35mm offset (they also have this same size & bolt pattern in +45mm, which will also fit our cars).

Reps from Enkei confirm that they fit the Brembo brakes on the Evo X. So that's a good sign. Also, from the backside, they seem to have as much clearance as other wheels that are confirmed fits for Brembo wheels.

When mine come in, I'll try to remember to bring along a Brembo template with me to see how it fairs. If my recent experience with my new street combo is any indication, there's going to be tons of room. They look very similar from the back to these, and every template I have fit with a sick amount of room to spare (except those req. a 19" wheel).

Best,
-j
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yep I was eyeing those as well. The silver only is kind of a deal killer for me. Since I don't need the big brakes for my application I just decided to stick w/the RP-F1 instead.

I wasn't able to find any other options today that I liked better so I ordered a set of black 18x9.5 from goodwin racing. Should be here next week but I probably won't bother putting the tires on until March sometime.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Hey Sleeper,

I have the RS+M's 18x8.5 with 35 mm offset and there are literally inches of clearance beyond the stock calipers. Here's a pic after a day at the office, before I got my Nittos. Sorry I don't have a better angle but you can see there is tons of clearance.

Cheers,

Joe C
Old 01-28-2010, 08:09 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

the silver finish kills me too
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I'm on the fence with the Silver...it's pretty light, and my car (Tungsten) tends to look better with light wheels. I saw a nice photoshop of these in black, and it looked pretty mean, so we'll see.

I put on Dave's black 5Zigens and liked it at first, but I've had it as a desktop for days now and it's beginning to wear on me. Anyway, they're track wheels, so eventually the finish is toast. Pretty is for pu(...bleep). Well, at least as a main priority it is; I'm not a guy who hangs out with a polishing rag in on hand and a ruler in the other measuring "what a deep dish" he has. At some point I bet I'll be refinishing these, so maybe then I'll go satin black just to switch things up. What matters the most is that (a.) they clear the brakes, (b.) they're under 18.5 lbs! and (c.) I didn't pay a fortune for the set.

Red, I really like those RS+M wheels! Isn't the clearance amazing after coming off of something like the OEM wheels...love it.

Best,
-j
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

I'm on the fence with the Silver...it's pretty light, and my car (Tungsten) tends to look better with light wheels. I saw a nice photoshop of these in black, and it looked pretty mean, so we'll see.

I put on Dave's black 5Zigens and liked it at first, but I've had it as a desktop for days now and it's beginning to wear on me. Anyway, they're track wheels, so eventually the finish is toast. Pretty is for pu(...bleep). Well, at least as a main priority it is; I'm not a guy who hangs out with a polishing rag in on hand and a ruler in the other measuring "what a deep dish" he has. At some point I bet I'll be refinishing these, so maybe then I'll go satin black just to switch things up. What matters the most is that (a.) they clear the brakes, (b.) they're under 18.5 lbs! and (c.) I didn't pay a fortune for the set.

Red, I really like those RS+M wheels! Isn't the clearance amazing after coming off of something like the OEM wheels...love it.

Best,
-j

****!!!!. these come in a 18x10.5 with 38 offset

**** it, i can always recolor them. i'm stuck between these in 18x9 et35 / 18x10.5 et 38 and the team dynamics pro race 1.3's with a 18x11 rear
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Hey Sleep,

Yeah, those will be my dedicated track wheel. Enkei has a long history of supplying very strong, very light weight wheels to racers in all forms of motorsports. The PF01 comes from their Race line up (same as the RPF-1), and it meets JWL standards.

Wheel specs are as follows: 18x9.5", +35mm offset (they also have this same size & bolt pattern in +45mm, which will also fit our cars).

Reps from Enkei confirm that they fit the Brembo brakes on the Evo X. So that's a good sign. Also, from the backside, they seem to have as much clearance as other wheels that are confirmed fits for Brembo wheels.

When mine come in, I'll try to remember to bring along a Brembo template with me to see how it fairs. If my recent experience with my new street combo is any indication, there's going to be tons of room. They look very similar from the back to these, and every template I have fit with a sick amount of room to spare (except those req. a 19" wheel).

Best,
-j
The 18 x 9.5 x 45 mm offset look interesting if I go with R-comps on dedicated rims this season. Price up here in Canada will be an issue as my current Steeda wheels are $228 CAD each and I already have 1 extra one so only need 3 more.

Quick Reply: Enkei RPF1 - getting serious now