Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

DOT 4 vs DOT 3 brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

To follow up on what Argonaut said the normal recommendations for brake improvements for those who want to track these cars in the order they are done is;
1) better tires
2) DOT 4 fluid and better pads
3) SS lines
4) Front brake cooling
5) BBK for the front- preferably one without slots or holes drilled in the rotors

Flush the fluid at least once a year and bleed as often as required to keep good fluid at the calipers. I run ATE.

My BBK choice was the GT500 kit as it also includes the SS lines and the price is right. Make sure your rims will clear the calipers

There are a lot of threads in this forum about the subject but I guess most of them are now fairly old and so may not come to the front on a search. Try searching on Motul or ATE.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 08-03-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
As long as we are talkign brake fluid, how much do you need when you swap to DOT4? I think i migh tdo soem brake work this month. SS lines, motul, and HPS pads unless someone has a better recomendation on pads. I need something that will latst for the street and work well with stock rotors. I plan on doing a track day later this month. It;s a driving school actually at texas motor speedway. If the track do goes like my first autocross, it will be a regualr deal for me.
I can't envision a track day with 20 or 30 minute sessions being anywhere near as gentle on the brakes as what I presume was one minute at a time on a second gear only autocross. You absolutely will need something better than HPS pads. HP+ all around might or might not be OK for your first track day.

Your OE lines will be plenty good for your first track day.

Flush/change the fluid.

Norm
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I can't envision a track day with 20 or 30 minute sessions being anywhere near as gentle on the brakes as what I presume was one minute at a time on a second gear only autocross. You absolutely will need something better than HPS pads. HP+ all around might or might not be OK for your first track day.

Your OE lines will be plenty good for your first track day.

Flush/change the fluid.

Norm

Thanks for the tip, i was just about to ask what would be the route to go. Sorry for thread jack OP, but this is sort of on topic.

So DOT 4 fluid, keep stock lines, and better pads all around. i was wondering if adding brake cooling would be better to resist fade than the fluid?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Thanks for the tip, i was just about to ask what would be the route to go. Sorry for thread jack OP, but this is sort of on topic.

So DOT 4 fluid, keep stock lines, and better pads all around. i was wondering if adding brake cooling would be better to resist fade than the fluid?
DOT 4 fluid is mandatory for track work. Ducts are optional at first and become mandatory with speed and experience, especially when you inevitably switch to R-Comps. Welcome to the addiction.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
DOT 4 fluid is mandatory for track work. Ducts are optional at first and become mandatory with speed and experience, especially when you inevitably switch to R-Comps. Welcome to the addiction.
Yea - I got my monthly fix on Saturday now I am good to go until my next event, 2 days at Mosport at the end of August.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Yea - I got my monthly fix on Saturday now I am good to go until my next event, 2 days at Mosport at the end of August.
Ten days so far this year. Used up 3 sets of brake pads, one set of rotors and have gone thru 8 scrub tires. Did anyone mention this hobby is expensive?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

5 events for me;
1) one set of Carbotech XP10 fronts after 3 events
2) Carbotech XP8 rears still OK
3) rotors still OK
4) about 1/2 way through the Nitto NT01s
5) A whole lot of gas - it burns up about a litre (1/4 gallon) a minute at Mosport

Does my low consumption of pads, rotors and tires mean I'm not trying hard enough?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
5 events for me;
1) one set of Carbotech XP10 fronts after 3 events
2) Carbotech XP8 rears still OK
3) rotors still OK
4) about 1/2 way through the Nitto NT01s
5) A whole lot of gas - it burns up about a litre (1/4 gallon) a minute at Mosport

Does my low consumption of pads, rotors and tires mean I'm not trying hard enough?
Not at all Colin. Look at it this way. It means your smoother than the others.
Smoother=Faster.

Cheers.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Not at all Colin. Look at it this way. It means your smoother than the others.
Smoother=Faster.

Cheers.
Plowing the field at turn 1 at TMP last Saturday wasn't too smooth

Well at least I now know that 120 kph is a bit too high a turn in speed.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

I just flushed my system with DOT4, took about a quart and a half... Pedal feels very different, I didn't even really notice how spongy it before the new fluid. My car is an 05 with 66k miles, fluid flushes just got added to my regular maintenance checklist (especially with track days in the future).

Quick Reply: DOT 4 vs DOT 3 brake fluid