Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable rear spring seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sd07gt
Yes you can use your rear Steeda comp spring with the 169.00 adjusters ....Its a HYPERCOIL spring which is the same one used in there rear coil over kits !

Sam your slipping
Except for the fact that the one used in the coilover kit is a SHORTER spring. There would be no point in an adjuster if you kept the same spring because at full low on the adjuster you would still be higher than just having the spring on there.

I would think twice before calling sam out agian.....that wasnt very cool
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Thanks Sam. I see...so my steeda comp rears would not be compatible with the coilover seats. Figures. Not a problem since I'm already mixing ultralite front and comp rear springs. It would probably be a plus to have the ability to tune the rear rates anyway.

Just checked Steeda's spring variety. 163 and 175#, which I believe is what the steeda comp rears are (175). So $169 for the seats and $139 for the springs...this may be worth the upgrade.

I'm having an issue where I bottom out onto the bumpstops pretty hard over some deep dips in my area. My car currently sits nearly completely level front to rear. I assumed I could raise the rear slightly via the coilover adjusters and solve this problem along with leveling the rear. I also wouldn't mind a 1/2'' front/rear rake. Am I wrong about this? Do you think this would be a good idea Sam?
I installed Steeda Ultralite springs not too long ago and now my car has more rake to it. It used to be more level when I had Tein H-Tech springs. How is your car almost level with the Steeda comp rear springs? I would think my car should be more level than yours since the Ultralite rears are 1.5" compared to the Comps 1.25". Am I missing something here?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sd07gt
Yes you can use your rear Steeda comp spring with the 169.00 adjusters ....Its a HYPERCOIL spring which is the same one used in there rear coil over kits !

Sam your slipping
I'm not slipping, you are wrong. They are different length springs there my friend. You seem to not be grasping that a say a 12" spring is 12" long. If it gives X for ride height, putting something in between said spring and the axle will raise ride height by whatever the height of the newly introduced part is. Therefore you must compensate with a shorter spring unless you want a height a lot taller than what was there prior.

Details.. they don't matter, do they?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I installed Steeda Ultralite springs not too long ago and now my car has more rake to it. It used to be more level when I had Tein H-Tech springs. How is your car almost level with the Steeda comp rear springs? I would think my car should be more level than yours since the Ultralite rears are 1.5" compared to the Comps 1.25". Am I missing something here?
I don't know what to tell you. My car has always had an issue with the front riding a bit high. With the full set of competition springs it ran 1/2'' higher up front. I've asked others with the competition spring set and they reported the same thing. It may have something to do with the steeda HD camber plates. I don't know. All I do know is with the ultralite fronts and competition rears it's nearly level, maybe 1/4'' front to rear.

Did steeda misjudge their comp rear springs? Maybe. They looked shorter than the ultralite rears sitting side by side. The comp rears are very small, light springs, but with a better rate IMO. I may have a pic, I'll search for it.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 10-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Aha, found it. Now take a look at this comparison and tell me the comp rear don't lower more than the ultralite rears. And they're probably 1/2 the weight of the 'ultralite' rears. Look how larger the ultralite rears are! The comp rears are a much better spring IMO, in both weight and function. The ultralite fronts were MUCH lighter weight than the comp fronts so go figure. They work great together.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 10-02-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The steeda ultralite set:

And the steeda comp set:

You can see from the pics the larger coil (and weight) of the front steeda comps. And the shorter height (and weight) of the comp rears. The lite fronts were several lbs lighter than the comp fronts and the comp rears were a few lbs lighter than the lite rears. I prefer the more linear rate of the comp rears. The bit of higher rate on the comp rears causes less 'bounce' and very nice road feel combined with better response (due to weight/rate?).
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I don't know what to tell you. My car has always had an issue with the front riding a bit high. With the full set of competition springs it ran 1/2'' higher up front. I've asked others with the competition spring set and they reported the same thing. It may have something to do with the steeda HD camber plates. I don't know. All I do know is with the ultralite fronts and competition rears it's nearly level, maybe 1/4'' front to rear.

Did steeda misjudge their comp rear springs? Maybe. They looked shorter than the ultralite rears sitting side by side. The comp rears are very small, light springs, but with a better rate IMO. I may have a pic, I'll search for it.
Do you have a picture of your car on full competition springs and one on ultralite/comp? Was your car actually sitting higher in the front than the rear with the full competition springs? Steeda specs for the competition fronts are 1" while the ultralites are supposed to be 1.25"/front. That's probably why you were higher in front when you had full comps.

Can you do me a favor and measure the distance from the middle of the rear fender lip to the ground and I'll measure mine? I'd like to compare your rear height on comps and my rear on ultralites.

Aha, found it. Now take a look at this comparison and tell me the comp rear don't lower more than the ultralite rears. And they're probably 1/2 the weight of the 'ultralite' rears. Look how larger the ultralite rears are! The comp rears are a much better spring IMO, in both weight and function. The ultralite fronts were MUCH lighter weight than the comp fronts so go figure. They work great together.

It definitely looks like the comp rears should lower you more than the ultralites but that could be misleading since the ultralite spring could be compressed more than the comps when loaded due to it's design. Going with the Steeda specs, the ultralites should lower you by a 1/4" more than the comps so that would support my compression under load statement.

The steeda ultralite set:

And the steeda comp set:

You can see from the pics the larger coil (and weight) of the front steeda comps. And the shorter height (and weight) of the comp rears. The lite fronts were several lbs lighter than the comp fronts and the comp rears were a few lbs lighter than the lite rears. I prefer the more linear rate of the comp rears. The bit of higher rate on the comp rears causes less 'bounce' and very nice road feel combined with better response (due to weight/rate?).
I wonder if anyone sells the Steeda competition rears only. I'd like to try some but don't want to spend 300 bucks just to get the rears.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Just went out and measured. I'm exactly 27.5 front, 27.5 rear on the drivers side and 27.7-8 front and 27.7-8 rear on the passenger side. Not sure if my garage floor throws off the passenger measurement or if the full tank of gas has an effect on it but there it is. I'd like to use the spring seat adjusters to get a bit more rake (and rear travel) out of it. 1/4'' would be ideal.

I agree with your other statements and was the reasoning behind my purchase of the ultralite springs. I wasn't unhappy with the complete Comp spring set. I was thrilled with them but grew tired of everyone saying my car sat higher in front. No pics but it was 1/4-1/2'' higher in front than rear. Very noticable.

If you want to try the comps, spend the $169 for the rear adjusters along with the $139 coilover spring of choice instead of purchasing an entire comp spring set. You would get the adjustability and ability to change rear spring rates. I'm either taking that route or a full coilover setup. Still gathering info...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Just went out and measured. I'm exactly 27.5 front, 27.5 rear on the drivers side and 27.7-8 front and 27.7-8 rear on the passenger side. Not sure if my garage floor throws off the passenger measurement or if the full tank of gas has an effect on it but there it is. I'd like to use the spring seat adjusters to get a bit more rake (and rear travel) out of it. 1/4'' would be ideal.

I agree with your other statements and was the reasoning behind my purchase of the ultralite springs. I wasn't unhappy with the complete Comp spring set. I was thrilled with them but grew tired of everyone saying my car sat higher in front. No pics but it was 1/4-1/2'' higher in front than rear. Very noticable.

If you want to try the comps, spend the $169 for the rear adjusters along with the $139 coilover spring of choice instead of purchasing an entire comp spring set. You would get the adjustability and ability to change rear spring rates. I'm either taking that route or a full coilover setup. Still gathering info...
Just took some measurements and mine are 28" rear on both sides and 27-1/2" front driver's side and 27-3/16" front passenger side. I'm not sure why my front passenger's side is lower; measurements taken in my garage. Getting just the rear adjusters and coilover spring will already be over $300. I was checking the Ground Control website earlier and noticed that they have a coilover conversion kit for our cars. For a little more money I'd rather get that and have full adjustability front/rear. Maybe I can then adjust the front so they're perfectly even on both sides. Dang, wish I'd known about the conversion kit before I spent the money on the Steeda Ultralites. Guess I'll be selling the Ultralites sometime in the future.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You also have a bit more weight over the front with the s/c so that could be affecting the ride height. The nice thing about springs is you can always resell them. I've tried H&R Race, H&R Sport, Steeda Comp and Steeda Ultralite. They've all resold rather quickly. I'm apprehensive about the ground control setup with eibach springs. I see they don't list rates, only sport/aggressive. I'm not big on eibach products and feel more comfortable with steeda. None of their products have ever let me down and I have plenty of their stuff on my car. I'm actually really happy with my spring setup/rates at the moment but want to replace the dampers.

I plan to swap the d-spec's to something else soon. I'm not happy with the rebound/compression adjustments. It's just a matter of weighing my options of dropping $800 on a set of Koni's along with the adjustable steeda rears for another $300. I'm nearing coilover expense at that point and would rather spend another couple hundred on a coilover setup but it won't be ground control. I've heard good things about the H&R clubsport setup as well as KW's offerings.

Quick Reply: Adjustable rear spring seats