Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable rear spring seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Adjustable rear spring seats

Anyone know where you can purchase adjustable rear spring seats without having to dish out for a set of coilovers? I was considering giving steeda a ring to see if they would part out the rear half of their 'adjustable suspension system'.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Well I may have just answered my own question. According to the pic shown below there is an option of $169 for the height adjusters. If Sam is hanging around out there let me know (your being a steeda dealer) if these can be purchased separately and I'll give you a call next week to order.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

You might be able to get a set from Ground Control. You won't find better quality.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I can sell you only the adjusters if you wish. But you can't use those with a spring not intended for use with them (a coil-over spring) as the car would sit way, WAY too high. But I can get you the springs also.

And the Steeda adjusters are hugely nicer than the Ground Control stuff IMHO. Their stuff works, though is sometimes crude to say the least. I'm in the midst of having to revalve some "specially valved" Koni's from them for a customer's RX7 because the compression damping is all messed up (and even has a nice wave in the curve). Though I do still have their coil-over sleeves on my Z28 in the front (why not they work and doesn't make sense to replace what isn't a problem).
Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks Sam. I see...so my steeda comp rears would not be compatible with the coilover seats. Figures. Not a problem since I'm already mixing ultralite front and comp rear springs. It would probably be a plus to have the ability to tune the rear rates anyway.

Just checked Steeda's spring variety. 163 and 175#, which I believe is what the steeda comp rears are (175). So $169 for the seats and $139 for the springs...this may be worth the upgrade.

I'm having an issue where I bottom out onto the bumpstops pretty hard over some deep dips in my area. My car currently sits nearly completely level front to rear. I assumed I could raise the rear slightly via the coilover adjusters and solve this problem along with leveling the rear. I also wouldn't mind a 1/2'' front/rear rake. Am I wrong about this? Do you think this would be a good idea Sam?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You cannot put a spring on the back that will keep you off the stops at all times, and frankly if you had a spring that could you'd have a suspension that didn't work well at any time, at all.

Your Comps use a coil-over type rear spring, but longer than what you'd need to have with the adjusters. The adjusters don't just disappear, they have height to them and you need to compensate for that height on the spring.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My buddies GTI also has problems with these dips so it probably won't help much on that front but the adjustability I like. I'll have to think about it but will probably do it. I will call you for the sale.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 09-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I wonder if it's not a damping thing more than a spring thing. But certainly as much as you like to play with springs I think having the ability to change them rate wise as well as the height as will isn't a bad thing for you to consider.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

One more to the list of 'things I should have done the first time' :-). Thanks Sam.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 PM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Thanks Sam. I see...so my steeda comp rears would not be compatible with the coilover seats. Figures. Not a problem since I'm already mixing ultralite front and comp rear springs. It would probably be a plus to have the ability to tune the rear rates anyway.

Just checked Steeda's spring variety. 163 and 175#, which I believe is what the steeda comp rears are (175). So $169 for the seats and $139 for the springs...this may be worth the upgrade.

I'm having an issue where I bottom out onto the bumpstops pretty hard over some deep dips in my area. My car currently sits nearly completely level front to rear. I assumed I could raise the rear slightly via the coilover adjusters and solve this problem along with leveling the rear. I also wouldn't mind a 1/2'' front/rear rake. Am I wrong about this? Do you think this would be a good idea Sam?
Yes you can use your rear Steeda comp spring with the 169.00 adjusters ....Its a HYPERCOIL spring which is the same one used in there rear coil over kits !

Sam your slipping

Quick Reply: Adjustable rear spring seats