Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Does the 2010 GT need new upper Strut Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Default Does the 2010 GT need new upper Strut Mounts?

Hi All,

I am going to do the suspension. I have read that it is best to replace the stock GT upper strut mounts with the GT500 mounts if you change the suspension.

I have also read that it only needs to be done on the older S197's and not on the 2010's?

Can someone please confirm one way or the other for me? I am looking at purchasing the GT500 Upper Mounts but am not sure if I need to.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

yes, you ahve to replace the mounts or risk the popping when they break. i used these from AM:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-c...er-plates.html

You could do the GT500 mounts, sam strano talked me out of those. he said if you plan to track the car the gt500 parts are known to break. i didn't want to spend $300 on the steeda ones and the J&M parts have a life time warranty. the alignment shop said that i had plenty of adjustment left with them too.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

i used my stock ones and had it aligned no problems.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I decided to go with the GT500 upper mounts. I looked at the Steeda's and the J&M's but don't think I need them for the extra money. I am not going to track the car and since the Roush setup I am doing only drops the car 1 inch, I think I will be fine. Perhaps I will have to use camber bolts, but we will see.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

I was under the impression that the 2010 already uses the Shelby mounts. Check the part numbers with your dealer

Cheers.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think there is some confusion....

First, all Ford OEM mounts have the same fatal flaw, don't care what they are, GT500, 2011's whatever.

Second, Steeda HD mounts are $275/set not quite $300 (though they were once). But I often find that folks don't understand these are actually camber plates like the J&M's, but transmit less impact harshness and noise because they use bushings instead of a spherical bearing.

Third, when it's necessary to use full camber plates I use, recommend, and sell Maximum Motorsports plates as they are just better built and use a higher quality spherical bearing than the J&M's. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=75&ModelID=5
Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

I got the Steeda HD mounts. They work great. Although after reading about the Maximum motorsports plates it would of been nice to have the Caster adjustment. When I got my car aligned my caster on the left side is 8.0 deg vs right side 7.2 deg The left side isn't even within Fords tolerance.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
I got the Steeda HD mounts. They work great. Although after reading about the Maximum motorsports plates it would of been nice to have the Caster adjustment. When I got my car aligned my caster on the left side is 8.0 deg vs right side 7.2 deg The left side isn't even within Fords tolerance.
And yours is a 2010 - you have thought they would have gotten the tolerances right by then.

Though maybe the body build fixtures are getting old and the robots tired.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
The caster adjustment is very small, like .6 degrees. And frankly more caster isn't a bad thing. You can still adjust your caster you know.... there are spots on the k-member that show you how to grind open the hole and allow you to move the control arm. You don't need plates to make a caster adjustment (though it's admittedly a little less hassle). But this way nets you a bigger range.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I am putting on a Roush suspension kit. What do they do when they build say a 427R? Do Roush and Saleen (etc) just use Camber Bolts?

Im wondering if I should get some plates instead. This is a street car only, will never be on a track.

Quick Reply: Does the 2010 GT need new upper Strut Mounts?